Balsa Forum Fall Build Along

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
It's kind of interesting seeing how the long-timers can vary from location to location. The guys I fly with up an hour north of Green Bay are all fun to fly with, although only 1 or 2 of them have updated to 2.4ghz. It's a small group so 72mhz still works for them, but they fly a mixture of balsa, electric, nitro, and occasionally foam. Not much in the way of gassers that I've seen, but it's a fun group. The guys at the field closer to home are the "crab-asses", who all fly newer technology on both balsa & foam, no nitro or gas that I've ever seen, but they are simply not fun (with one or two exceptions) to hang around with. Personally, I don't care what somebody is flying as long as they're safe and not a jerk to deal with.

This thread sure does stray from the topic a lot! :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
FYI, it looks like Mountain Models has most colors of SoLite in stock now, but still no clear. I ordered some transparent blue to go with the white and transparent red I already have.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Texmechsrobot: Are you high school or college? Doesn't really matter. I work at an ASU college campus. It's SO refreshing to see someone in school that is more concerned about grades than a hobby or YouTube or Facebook or partying! High school and college students are the future of our civilization! What I see on a day to day at college level scares the CRAP out of me! Your post gives me hope. Otherwise the movie IDIOCRACY is our future.......:eek::eek: Keep at your studies. Once you have achieved good grades and if you need a little help with the hobby then post up what you need. I'm first in line to help out.

Joe

TexasWade

I heard back from Brian this morning. He said some cowls got smashed and he's expecting more in the next day or two. If his prediction is accurate, it sounds like I should get my kit just as the build along kicks off! :cool:

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Texmechsrobot: Are you high school or college? Doesn't really matter. I work at an ASU college campus. It's SO refreshing to see someone in school that is more concerned about grades than a hobby or YouTube or Facebook or partying! High school and college students are the future of our civilization! What I see on a day to day at college level scares the CRAP out of me! Your post gives me hope. Otherwise the movie IDIOCRACY is our future.......:eek::eek: Keep at your studies. Once you have achieved good grades and if you need a little help with the hobby then post up what you need. I'm first in line to help out.

Joe

I'm in college. Finishing up my bachelors in mathematics next spring. In my senior year and I can't wait to be finished!

TexMechsRobot

...and 20 years later you'll wish you could go back to the good 'ol college days! :)

Maybe. I'm doing it all online though so I'm not getting the same college experience as most. Working full time and going to school so I'm paying cash as I go along. No debt when I'm done :)

I don't think I'll be wishing for this time again any time soon. I'm glad I'm doing it but a bachelors of science in math online while working full time is a bit of a killer.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
You're doing it a smart way, paying it off as you go. So many people are in debt up to their eyes once they leave college and it takes years to dig back out of the debt. Now I'm scrambling to help my kids do that, and luckily we set up some education funds for them years ago when money was cheap! :)

Turbojoe

Elite member
Working full time and going to school so I'm paying cash as I go along. No debt when I'm done :)

You are a VERY smart man! Every day I hear students talking about graduating with insurmountable debt and no job prospects and they're still in their early 20's! I feel sorry for the ones that are really trying to make a better future for themselves. YOU will have a huge advantage with no debt to burden you. Many kudos for following the route that was best suited for you!

Joe

gtvrb

I put in an order last night. I am starting way behind. I don't have the electrics or motor yet. I will be bringing up the rear pace wise but I will start when it gets here. I got the 3d wing. I am thinking that I should have gotten the sport but I can always get that later on.
Now I need to see if I can figure out how to do a build thread or video a few parts.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I put in an order last night. I am starting way behind. I don't have the electrics or motor yet. I will be bringing up the rear pace wise but I will start when it gets here. I got the 3d wing. I am thinking that I should have gotten the sport but I can always get that later on.
Now I need to see if I can figure out how to do a build thread or video a few parts.

Fantastic, glad to have you join us! I'll add you to the builder's list (Post #3). Going the 3D wing route now gives us multiple people building each wing design (4 Sports, 2 3D's, and 2 Bipes). Plus 3 more MM planes, two from EBM, and 1 Herr. 14 planes so far, very impressive considering the obvious DTFB bias on this forum! :)

The great thing with your EVA's design is that you can always order just the Sport wing (or the Bi-Plane wings) in the future and get a completely new flying experience without the expense of buying an entirely new plane!

Let us know if you've got questions on posting pics, videos, etc.

Last edited:

TexMechsRobot

14 planes so far, very impressive considering the obvious DTFB bias on this forum!

I definitely don't disagree with your statement. There is a DTFB bias because of Flite Test's product focus. Having said that, I know that Josh's (and Flite Test's) primary goal is to get people building planes, learning new techniques, discovering what affects flight, and enjoying the hobby together. this thread is totally in the spirit of Flite Test and I love it :)

I know you agree with me I just wanted to point out that the balsa community on this forum is much smaller but we still fit the culture 100%.

I finished my school work early so I'm going to be starting my build on time! Albeit much more slowly...

jsknockoff

Mentor
The more builders, the better. Timelines aren't important on this build. I'm so excited to get started that I even went and bought a new bottle Titebond last night.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The more builders, the better. Timelines aren't important on this build. I'm so excited to get started that I even went and bought a new bottle Titebond last night.

Ah, my favorite glue. However, on the EVA my plan is to use more CA than anything else. The fit on the parts is so precise that it is perfect for the wicking properties of thin CA. Surely the Titebond will make an appearance, however.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Here's yet another glue option. Super-Phatic. Because CA fumes have been giving me fits lately I've been using this stuff more and more. I've built both twin nacelles 100% with it and I plan to use it on the fuse build too. It wicks into tight joints really well almost like thin CA but it sands better. Almost as easy as the balsa. Also you can speed the cure to almost no time using a heat gun. For less precise fitting joints nothing beats Titebond though.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
Looks like I may be bringing up the rear on the build thread. All of a sudden work is nuts and my kids want to come to visit. Not gonna tell the kids/grand kids no....Building may take a back seat for now.

I have the nacelles 95% complete for the EVA twin and the trike gear mod is beyond simple. Just need to lock down how I'm going to feed the motor wiring through the wing ribs and fuselage sides IF the poorly pre-built wings I'm working with can be salvaged. I won't know for sure until I try to mate them with the new fuselage that is still in the package. (I may end up having to build the extra Sport wing set I got earlier from Brian.) I'll definitely have to move the aileron servos (not a bad thing as that can help with balance.) and beef up each rib that a motor wire hole has to be cut through. I figure I'll be adding at least 5 oz minimum to the total AUW with the twin trike mods but that doesn't bother me in the least. It'll simply fly better in the wind. ;)

I'm most looking forward to seeing what all the other builders that signed up come up with for the latest trick way of doing things. We're all going to pick up many great ideas from this build along!

Joe