Balsa Forum Fall Build Along

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sweet!! :applause:

I wasn't able to get my 'in-between' project fully wrapped up so there will be some parallel projects and shop cleaning to do, but that just keeps me busy while the Titebond is drying. :cool:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Have fun, guys!!!

Heck yeah! I'm hoping to get the upper wing completely built on my biplane tonight. Not sanded or finished, but all main construction complete. Then the planking on the big L-19 needs some more work (and I'm enjoying the heck out of how fast the planking is making it finally look like an airplane fuselage). I'm off this coming Monday, so maybe the EVA will be ready for the maiden after a 3-day weekend! :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
If the wife and kids would leave me alone it could be the first weekend of December build along! But I know it won't go quite that quickly since the L-19 needs to keep moving and I'm waiting for the transparent blue covering to arrive from MM. The EVA will be a fairly quick build, however.

If you want to see real building speed, put a camera on TurboJoe and give him a MM Switchback kit!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So when we said "Fall Build Along", you really meant "First week of December Build Along" 0_o

Good luck and post the maiden!

It can be surprising how quickly some models go together . . . until you get to the finishing steps, where the progress slows to an unbelievable crawl :(

Speaking of quickly . . .

It's not a MM kit or an EVA (fine model from a great company, but really doesn't strike my fancy), but I've just started one of these:

230.jpg

It's a Dumas Walnut Scale Rubber Free Flight kit of a DHC-2 Beaver I picked up at the annual swap meet last march.

lduma0230.jpg

And while Free Flight has it's own charms, I've got a champ motor and Night vapor guts begging to fly something small and light . . . so she's getting an RC conversion :)

I started her a few nights ago out of frustration of not building anything else, but the timing is close, so if you guys in your not competitive contest will turn a blind eye to two nights work on a different airframe, that isn't even an RC kit, I think I'll join youse guys ;)

I'll start a thread tonight, short on pics and heavy on blurry, but here's a taste from the end of night one:

15311460_1270496919689472_1018376905_o.jpg

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I started her a few nights ago out of frustration of not building anything else, but the timing is close, so if you guys in your not competitive contest will turn a blind eye to two nights work on a different airframe, that isn't even an RC kit, I think I'll join youse guys ;)

DISQUALIFIED

I kid :) I love Dumas kits. I built the T6-Texan and thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried to make it free flight but had no idea what I was doing and it was way to heavy (AUW) and tail heavy in general. It looked great though!

25482221575_86c8b4f8e0_k.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Excellent! We have lured in another one! :applause:

I've been thinking about a free-flight to night-vapor rc conversion for a while - will be interested in how you solve the electronics mounting and control surface decisions.

Welcome to the fall balsa build along! :)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
DISQUALIFIED

Dang. I was really looking forward to winning <glances again through thread> nothing ;)

They do make beautiful kits. That Texan is a beauty . . . what was that about a safe space? Right! Nevermind! Mine will be awesome (maybe not that awesome, but we'll see).

I know mine will be a bit of a porker for the typical build, but I'm staking my hope on having the tiny power system be grossly overpowered. Weighed out the gear (freeflight and RC) this morning and the brick is roughly the weight of the bare fuselage :)eek:) but the comically red FF prop is about 10% lighter than the electronic motor and prop . . . I might still have a chance.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Excellent! We have lured in another one! :applause:

I've been thinking about a free-flight to night-vapor rc conversion for a while - will be interested in how you solve the electronics mounting and control surface decisions.

Welcome to the fall balsa build along! :)

Mounting the electronics is a cinch -- if you're building in balsa, creating new brackets for things is easy. Just pull out some stock, cut the bracket to shape and find a strong-but-clear spot on the frame to mount it. Hardest part so far was building a hatch, but even that was pretty easy.

Control surfaces however . . . I have a plan. We'll see how well it works. It's tricky building hinges around 1/16" balsa sticks, but I think I've got a way to "stitch" one together.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Welcome to the fun! I've added you to the builder's list on Post #3 and look forward to your work. Thanks for playing along!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Brian must have taken a stack of boxes to the post office, I just got notification as well that my covering has shipped.

OttoPilot

I've been super busy over the past two weeks, home for Thanksgiving, and then a week of meetings/tours/test coordination with Dayton T. Brown on Long Island for work...add to that a ton of Christmas orders through my Etsy shop and I haven't had time for any fun over the last couple of weeks...but I did manage to get started on my EVA-3d over the weekend.

Hopefully I'll have some downtime this evening after I get Christmas lights up to get my build thread posted and to take a look at everyone's progress in the other threads.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've got to say, the work being produced so far is very impressive and fun to watch. I sincerely hope that by the end of this project everybody who has joined in is happy with their choice to try balsa and wants to do it again! (It's addictive!)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Absolutely going to build more balsa! I have at least 4 more balsa kits in the shop, and a box arrived addressed to my wife, but with a Stevens Aeromodel return address this week. A pretty good sized box too. :applause:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ugh. I've been completely distracted from my build and log . . .

Winter is the perfect time to hide in the shop and build . . . but Christmas is the worst time to try getting anything done :p