Balsa Forum Fall Build Along

Turbojoe

Elite member

Here it is! I'm pretty quiet for the first 12 minutes or so, but this was my first go with being on, and the other guys have more history and experience working together. Hopefully I represented what we are trying to do here well enough.

I got to listen to about 30 minutes at work today before I had to actually go out and do some work. :mad: Will try to get in a little more tomorrow.

Joe

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Hi. My name is Tex and I'm addicted to balsa.

After watching/listening to the entire podcast, I bought the balsa Bird of Time kit from Tower Hobbies. I've had my eye on that plane ever since the Flite Test episode and definitely want to build it rather than purchase the ARF and after listening to you all rave over its performance and flight characteristics, I didn't want to wait any longer. I'll probably not touch it for quite a while since I have enough projects lined up but I just wanted it in my closet so I'd know it was there when I was ready to build it.

::sigh::

Turbojoe

Elite member

After watching/listening to the entire podcast, I bought the balsa Bird of Time kit from Tower Hobbies. I've had my eye on that plane ever since the Flite Test episode and definitely want to build it rather than purchase the ARF and after listening to you all rave over its performance and flight characteristics, I didn't want to wait any longer. I'll probably not touch it for quite a while since I have enough projects lined up but I just wanted it in my closet so I'd know it was there when I was ready to build it.

I was going to say the forums are our support group but they just fuel our addiction! Sometimes I'll be digging through my kits and find something I forgot I had and not even remember when or where the heck I got it from! I've got a mess of unfinished projects but I still keep buying more kits and packing them away for later. I think once balsa building is in the blood it's all over. No turning back........

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

The BoT is in my top 5 for beautiful designs. One day I'll own one.

Turbojoe

Elite member
The problem just got worse. When I got home my 2nd MM Cub kit was sitting by the door. I need intervention. :eek:

Joe

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast

Saiplanes are pretty, but flight without power? Argg, more stuff to learn...I better hold off on that until I finish with my other 5 airplanes...

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Saiplanes are pretty, but flight without power? Argg, more stuff to learn...I better hold off on that until I finish with my other 5 airplanes...

Oh it'll be powered. Not sure how yet but there are plenty of conversion threads and videos on the interwebs. I'll worry about that when I get closer to building it :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
So the build-along is just over a month old, and there is plenty of progress being made. There are a few people who we haven't heard much from (you know who you are :) ). How're things going, have the builds started?

gregp

So the build-along is just over a month old, and there is plenty of progress being made. There are a few people who we haven't heard much from (you know who you are :) ). How're things going, have the builds started?

It took a while to have the order delivered. It came right before the winter break. Unfortunately, I am currently preoccupied with some non-hobby related stuff so I haven't started the build.
Will update once I have progress...

N4RF

Nothing more than the schedule going nuts. December is a bad time for me to start anything and I found out in late November that I'll be on the road for work or pleasure five out of the next eight weeks. The good news is that I'll be basically working from home for all of May and June because of the road work these two months.

It was always a 2017 build anyway and was going to make sure I smelled the roses along the way......

Turbojoe

Elite member
OMG! Windows 7 is going completely wacko on my desktop and no virii! It's completely useless. I'm using my 15" laptop on Win10 right now. I have a hard time seeing anything on my normal 24" monitor so the 15" screen is killing me but will have to do at home for now. Can't find my Win 7 discs to do a format and reinstall either. You'd think these electronic marvels could take better care of themselves by now but they're no smarter than they were in the mid 80's!!!! :mad::mad::mad: No virus and Windows can't seem to tell me what is giving it a tummy ache so I can look for a fix! ARGH!:mad: I still have the Win10 .ISO. Will have to see if I can still get the freebie upgrade.

I hated Win10 on my desktop with the first release last year and went right back toWin7 but I actually like Win10 on my laptop a year later. Looks like most of my check ins will be from work for a few days. No more work on the EVA or Monocoupe until I get the desktop computer straightened out. Nothing drives me deeper into a rage than a format and install of an operating system especially when it's unexpected! Argh, argh, argh!

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
The best solution to running Windows I've found yet.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I've tried Ubuntu many times in the past. Problem is it takes way too much work to run the Windows programs I need IF they will even run under Ubuntu. Dual booting just drives me nuts! If Ubuntu ever dumps the DOS type command line feel and goes 100% GUI I'll drop Windows in a heartbeat! I want an operating system to work for me not the other way around. Ubuntu is SOOOOOO close though! I haven't tried it in a year or so though. I need to save about 50gb of files first though through constant reboots.

I'm starting to drag this WAY off topic. Is there a computer thread here on Flite Test?

Joe

JetDr330

Getting back in.....

Getting back into building and attempting to fly after 13 years...Divorce, Work, new Wife ect.... The wife has been bugging me for a couple years to get back into R/C telling me to do something other than working, cooking, watching TV and sleeping. I warned her this was a very dangerous proposition$$$ She renewed my AMA membership for Christmas forcing the issue, well I'm back in going the electric route. Just built and nosed in a Herr Cloud Ranger after the holidays, my mistake with heavy un-seasoned thumbs, plane is fixed just have to recover the affected areas and give it another shot. Funny she was more upset than me, told her it was just part of the game you learn to accept. Well, just ordered the EVA after lurking around multiple forums. Planning on doing some of TurboJoe's mods, NLG and hidden servos, just need to do research and get motor setup. Planning on covering with Coverite Microlite Blue & Yellow.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Welcome back to the madness! I had an almost 20 year layoff from the hobby while marriage and kids took up all my time. 15 years back the kids were grown and wife became the ex and I went right back in to R/C again. If I could find a new wife like your new wife I'd have a new wife. :) I keep running into women that are more nuts than me though......

PM Joker and let him know to add you to the build along.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Joe, they're ALL nuts! :) Except mine, she's cool.

JetDr, if you want in on the build along I'll be happy to add you to the list. Based on your user name I assume you're an aircraft mechanic?

JetDr330

I'm a Line Mechanic with a lot of extra time at work to build, getting paid to work on planes....one way or another. You could add me to the build.

Joe, they're ALL nuts! :) Except mine, she's cool.

JetDr, if you want in on the build along I'll be happy to add you to the list. Based on your user name I assume you're an aircraft mechanic?