Bavarian RC – Heinkel 219 night fighter design and build

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
That looks really good! Did you design the parts in 3D?
I am just starting with 3D designing. It's OK to do some simple parts for my 3D printer, but I have not yet managed to do complex parts like the nacelles. Therefore I used good old math and a bit of time :p
cone_caluclation.JPG

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The build of the second nacelle was smoother than the first one, mainly due to the power pod being inserted into the frame, which was holding everything straight and aligned. I also did some small modifications to the design to get a better shape of the small cone at the end of the nacelle.

IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG

The power pod attachment is done:
IMG_0529.JPG
I wasn’t too happy with my first horizontal stabilizer in terms of stability. Therefore I did a new one today with a fold-over. This is adding more strength, which will be needed with the vertical stabilizers installed at the tips. The extra weight won’t be a problem as I think that the plane will be a bit nose heavy due to the motor position quite far forward.
IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_0587.JPG
I also started installing the electronics, like the y-cable for the power distribution to the ESC’s and the servos for the ailerons.
IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

mach1 rc

Master member
The build of the second nacelle was smoother than the first one, mainly due to the power pod being inserted into the frame, which was holding everything straight and aligned. I also did some small modifications to the design to get a better shape of the small cone at the end of the nacelle.

View attachment 153412 View attachment 153413 View attachment 153414 View attachment 153415
The power pod attachment is done:
View attachment 153418
I wasn’t too happy with my first horizontal stabilizer in terms of stability. Therefore I did a new one today with a fold-over. This is adding more strength, which will be needed with the vertical stabilizers installed at the tips. The extra weight won’t be a problem as I think that the plane will be a bit nose heavy due to the motor position quite far forward.
View attachment 153419 View attachment 153420 View attachment 153421
I also started installing the electronics, like the y-cable for the power distribution to the ESC’s and the servos for the ailerons.
View attachment 153422 View attachment 153423 View attachment 153424
That looks really good👍👍

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The motors and ESC’s are installed and the nacelles attached to the wings.

IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0885.JPG IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0888.JPG

The nacelle parts on top of the wing have a quite straight zig-zag outline (of course forced by the wing folds), If possible I’ll try to change that next time by adding a radius between each straight line. Not sure if that will work.

IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0917.JPG IMG_0918.JPG

And the second nacelle finished:

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

Now that the wing is fully equipped with 2 servos, 2 motors, 2 ESC's and a lot of wiring I was curious about the weight. Finally the scale said 498 grams. My target of reaching 900 - 1000 grams as AUW is still reachable, but I guess more at the upper end ;)

Rhaps

Elite member
He 219 is such a cool plane. I always tought it is bit alien or insect(mantis) looking.
Also project makes me green with envy - how can you proceed at such a breakneck speed wit this?

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
He 219 is such a cool plane. I always tought it is bit alien or insect(mantis) looking.
Also project makes me green with envy - how can you proceed at such a breakneck speed wit this?
Thanks! I fear my speed will drastically decrease now, as my Christmas vacation is over. And don‘t forget, I did almost all of the design work upfront, with only minor modifications during the build. The CAD work was taking quite a while.

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Fantastic Plane !!! (y)(y)(y) Can't wait to make one.

I want to build the Me410 for a long time, but never have time to get into it! :cry:
Thanks!!! There will be free plans in the end, once the design is stable and has proven its ability to fly ;)
The Messerschmitt 410 is also on my list. Not sure if it will be the next design. There is also the Junkers 88 (or maybe the 388) and the Me110 on the list ... but let‘s finish the Heinkel first

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The more I was looking at the shape of the nose cover the more I was wanting to re-design it. It was looking a bit too clumsy. But this again meant that I had to do a lot of manual 2D design work… I really need to work myself into 3D designing!;)
CAD_003.jpg
So here is the difference: new nose cover vs old nose cover
IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG

The wing attachment is also done. I tried to have the rubber bands hidden inside the fuselage. I am just not sure if this will hold the wing strong enough as there is only a distance of 55mm between them. The little black 3D printed angles are protecting the trailing edge in the area where the rubber bands are. The BBQ skewers will be later replaced by 3.5mm carbon fibre rods.

IMG_1024.JPG

mach1 rc

Master member
The more I was looking at the shape of the nose cover the more I was wanting to re-design it. It was looking a bit too clumsy. But this again meant that I had to do a lot of manual 2D design work… I really need to work myself into 3D designing!;)
View attachment 153766
So here is the difference: new nose cover vs old nose cover
View attachment 153770 View attachment 153771
View attachment 153772

The wing attachment is also done. I tried to have the rubber bands hidden inside the fuselage. I am just not sure if this will hold the wing strong enough as there is only a distance of 55mm between them. The little black 3D printed angles are protecting the trailing edge in the area where the rubber bands are. The BBQ skewers will be later replaced by 3.5mm carbon fibre rods.

View attachment 153773
Looks Soooooo nice

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
I was trying to properly align the horizontal stabilizer at the fuselage tail, but I had to find out that it wasn’t easy at all due to the dihedral and the fact that the tail of the fuselage was a bit twisted. The foam board sheet I used for the fuselage was warped quite a bit, so no surprise.
Finally I decided to build myself a jig.

IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1027.JPG

Horizontal and vertical stabilizers glued

IMG_1033.JPG

For the elevators I used 2 servos. The fuselage is quite narrow at the end, so I had to position them on two different height levels to avoid interference between the servo arms. From there I routed 1mm steel wires to the elevators.

IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1225.JPG

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Thanks! The more complete it gets, the more excited I get about the question how it will fly... if it will fly ;) There are still a few things to be done, not sure if I will be able to do the maiden this weekend. If not I will have to wait for next weekend and hope for good weather.
Yeah, the first flight is always nerve-racking I'm about to go maiden the MS Spit. What else do you have to do for it to be flight worthy?

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
Yeah, the first flight is always nerve-racking I'm about to go maiden the MS Spit. What else do you have to do for it to be flight worthy?
Cross my fingers for your maiden! I still have to make the attachment of the fuselage wing cover. I just put it there for the photo, but it is still loose. Won‘t be a big deal, but I want a clean and durable solution. I also haven‘t decided yet on the prop, will do a static thrust test to decide. Then I just need to set the rates on the ailerons and elevator, decide on the CG (will do some calculations to be on the safe side) .... and that‘s about it. Well, sounds manageable ;)

mach1 rc

Master member
I was trying to properly align the horizontal stabilizer at the fuselage tail, but I had to find out that it wasn’t easy at all due to the dihedral and the fact that the tail of the fuselage was a bit twisted. The foam board sheet I used for the fuselage was warped quite a bit, so no surprise.
Finally I decided to build myself a jig.

View attachment 154015 View attachment 154016

Horizontal and vertical stabilizers glued

View attachment 154017

For the elevators I used 2 servos. The fuselage is quite narrow at the end, so I had to position them on two different height levels to avoid interference between the servo arms. From there I routed 1mm steel wires to the elevators.

View attachment 154018 View attachment 154019 View attachment 154020
View attachment 154021 View attachment 154022
Looks really nice!!!!! When's the maiden?

Bavarian_RC

Elite member
The fuselage wing cover is now attached with 2 BBQ skewers. Inside the fuselage I added support plates where the BBQ skewers go through. To ease the inserting of the skewer I connected the two plates with a soda straw, that is guiding the skewer from one side straight to the other side.

IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1235.JPG

I used cgCalc to calculate the position of the CG an ended up with around 54 to 63mm from the leading edge.

cgCalc_01.jpg cgCalc_02.jpg

After installing the battery (3S – 2200mAh) in farthest back position I still needed some balance weight at the tail, but fortunately only 18 grams. It easily fits under the fuselage tail cover and is not visible.

IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1255.JPG

I was hoping that the motors would generate enough thrust with 8x5 props, but a static thrust check showed that they only produce 775g of thrust. So I put the 9x5 props on (even if they only have a clearance of 6mm towards the fuselage) and they produced around 1100g of thrust. Compared to the AUW of 983g this is quite comfortable.

Now everything is ready for the maiden, just need some good weather.

IMG_1271.JPG

mach1 rc

Master member
The fuselage wing cover is now attached with 2 BBQ skewers. Inside the fuselage I added support plates where the BBQ skewers go through. To ease the inserting of the skewer I connected the two plates with a soda straw, that is guiding the skewer from one side straight to the other side.

View attachment 154114 View attachment 154115 View attachment 154116

I used cgCalc to calculate the position of the CG an ended up with around 54 to 63mm from the leading edge.

View attachment 154117 View attachment 154118

After installing the battery (3S – 2200mAh) in farthest back position I still needed some balance weight at the tail, but fortunately only 18 grams. It easily fits under the fuselage tail cover and is not visible.

View attachment 154119 View attachment 154120

I was hoping that the motors would generate enough thrust with 8x5 props, but a static thrust check showed that they only produce 775g of thrust. So I put the 9x5 props on (even if they only have a clearance of 6mm towards the fuselage) and they produced around 1100g of thrust. Compared to the AUW of 983g this is quite comfortable.

Now everything is ready for the maiden, just need some good weather.

View attachment 154121
Looks fantastic!😎😎👍😎👍😎 I know what you.mean about the weather😕