Best FT planes for beginner pilots, that are -not- the Tiny Trainer

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hello KN41UU , Just read your views on the FT Commuter . I am thinking about getting it as my first RC Trainer and wondered if you could give me any , both positive and negative views on this model .
Thanks
Ok! Here we go.

Pros:
Flies great,
Is very hard to break,
Flies nice and slow,
Is easy to repair,
Runs on a Power Pack A,
Doesn’t need a lot of space to fly,
Fits in the trunk great.
Cons:
Harder to make then most, (although, this is over rated, the hardest part is cutting it out)
Lasts a long time, but when it’s time is up, it will mysteriously fail for no reason and will never fly again.

Bigeard

The Simple Scout is a durable, stable flying airplane, though as a trainer, its size and ability to roll quickly can be a detriment. I have reduced rates and expo on mine, and it'll still roll over faster than a member of congress for a deep-pockets lobbyist. That said, I've also been flying mine for over two and a half years, and it's still one of my "go-to" planes that almost always makes the trip out to the flying field. My first couple of flights with the Scout almost went bad at take-off, as that narrow wingspan can make it very susceptible to torque roll on lift-off. Once I figured out that it will take off just fine at about half-throttle or so, my take offs became far more stable and less stressful. The Scout was my first Flite Test build, as I bought the SBK from a hobby shop on a whim. When it finally either wears out or I finally crash it, I'll build another without hesitation. I'm sure I have well over 100 flights on mine now.

The Storch would be a decent trainer. Its size makes it fairly easy to see in the air. It takes off and lands at a very slow speed, is pretty stable in flight, and is one of the easiest to land planes I own. Its wingspan makes for a very sedate roll rate, without leaving it feeling unresponsive to control inputs. It's not really a good plane for learning aerobatics, but for the basics, it's just an all-around nice plane.

The Bushwacker is, IMNSHO, a bit better as a step-up plane. Its wing, both in span and that it's a flat wing, make for a more aerobatic plane. It will roll and loop tightly, which for a beginner, can often spell disaster when the plane responds too quickly, and the novice is trying to think of what to do to recover properly. It's a fun to fly plane, though, and quite capable, when you get the right amount of weight up front for proper CG.

The Explorer also makes for a decent trainer, with the design easily accommodating either 3 or 4 channel control. It's large enough for easy visibility in the sky, fairly stable and sedate on controls, and like the Storch, will fly at a fairly slow speed. It's also a reasonably simple design to build.

I enjoy flying the Tiny Trainer as well, though it's another that I'm not sure I would have done well with as a first trainer plane. I've only flown with the 4 channel sport wing, though, so I can't say how it would be on the 3 channel polyhedral wing.
Thanks for your infor.ation

dylanbeaudette

My vote is the MM DR1. Easy build, slow flyer, very durable & makes you grin.

Second that--the DR1 is our favorite plane to fly, even after major crashes (ripped the top wing off in a nose dive) + repairs.

Attachments

• dr1.jpg
    dr1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
LOL, I'm just finishing my "cute little toy" #4 (7th when counted with 3 150% versions) because I missed flying the little guy so much. Pics to follow in "The Best it will ever look". @Monte.C if you haven't tried one you're missing something.
Excellent. Want vid.
The second plane I had in the air was a biplane. It was plenty fun but I couldn't get over a very slight feeling like I was flying a cardboard box. Maybe it's just because it doesn't look sleek & slippery in the air, it has so much frontal area and so much drag.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. :p

Um... watch out @TheFlyingBrit . There's a snake in your workshop.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Excellent. Want vid.
The second plane I had in the air was a biplane. It was plenty fun but I couldn't get over a very slight feeling like I was flying a cardboard box. Maybe it's just because it doesn't look sleek & slippery in the air, it has so much frontal area and so much drag.

he hasn't replied cause the snake got him

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Excellent. Want vid.

That's for sure! It doesn't slip through the air it beats it into submission and then strains it through the 3 wings. More like a chainsaw than a samurai sword. But there's something about seeing those three wings when it turns towards me that makes me grin.
On a side note; I was flying a Cessna 150 near my little hometown airport and got on the radio 5 miles out to warn the other pilots. A friend answered and said he was in his biplane and for me to fly straight and level and he'd form up on me. He approached from my lower left quarter and as he started to turn into me it was all I could do to keep from diving down and toward him to keep from being shot down. Way too much "Red Baron" video game!!

That's for sure! It doesn't slip through the air it beats it into submission and then strains it through the 3 wings. More like a chainsaw than a samurai sword. But there's something about seeing those three wings when it turns towards me that makes me grin.
On a side note; I was flying a Cessna 150 near my little hometown airport and got on the radio 5 miles out to warn the other pilots. A friend answered and said he was in his biplane and for me to fly straight and level and he'd form up on me. He approached from my lower left quarter and as he started to turn into me it was all I could do to keep from diving down and toward him to keep from being shot down. Way too much "Red Baron" video game!!
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dylanbeaudette

No this is cute as its got a little face on it
View attachment 217532

Oh yeah. Some nice ideas on how we can upgrade our DR1. It is currently in need of some minor repairs from a couple of hard landings. Also, the power pod is a little loose--need to remove the cowling and re-seat or fortify. Any suggestions on a torn elevator? We used packing tape for a field repair, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Excellent. Want vid.

I had a good reply for that comment but as its a family site I couldn't use it :LOL:

Besides that isn't my workshop it belongs to a fellow club member who is temporarily holding the plane until I can get around to picking it up. The snake is Sid he protects the planes ?
Oh it's definitely not an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake placed there for who-knows-what-reason. :LOL: