Best plane for AMA Pattern competition

Tench745

Master member
Anyone know how he gets his plane to fly so slowly in the second video?
Low wing loading, and a large prop?
Based on the published specs the Epilogue has a wing loading of around 26.2 oz/in² and a cubing loading of 10.3. I suspect that large fuselage acts like a lifting body in the turns too.

L Edge

Master member
Which of the FT quick build kits would you choose for flying AMA aerobatic patterns? Pleas only answer if you have experience in AMA pattern flying. My Scout isn't hacking it (lol),
Thanks.
P.S. I enjoy pattern flying rather than extreme or 3D aerobatics. I would love to see FT come out with a Super Kaos of 50-60 inch wingspan.

Welcome to the world of AMA pattern. My son and I entered pattern competitions many many moons ago starting of with the Ugly Stick, Kaos, Patricia and the Dirty Birdy etc. My advice to you is your are serious in exploring this area, get a plane that is designed strictly for pattern. We used tune pipes, retractable gear, etc. Now a days, foam, electric seems the way to go.

Some advice is that plane setup is 3/4 of the battle(tuning horizontal and vertical are important). So you need to search for the correct model that can do what you want it to do. Yes, even pattern ships very in design. The last 1/4(flying) is your understanding what factors are involved and how you approach the maneuver it to give it a 9/10.

Don't know where you live, but check if there are any AMA clubs in the area, might find someone willing to part(sell or give) equipment and possible introduce you to someone in the club who can be helpful.

Enjoy!!!!

danskis

Master member
@L Edge - thanks for confirming my suspicion that setup/trim is 75% of the effort. The following video is where I got that idea

While the above is good I'd like something more in depth. Got any suggestions for us folks "winging it" on our own?

model14

Every RC pilot should watch this F3A Basics video series. It is beautiful to see this ballet in the sky. Without question my biggest detriment to smooth flying is not having my airplanes trimmed properly. I suspect many of us suffer the same. I would sure like to see FT start promoting this type of flying by bringing out some pattern designs in foam board.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Please guys, take a look to this model:
https://jivaro-models.org/homepage/homepage.htm

It is made out of depron but should be easy tu use foamboard instead. I made one and it flies really well. Nice pattern airplane. Here it is:
IMG_20210117_113429.jpeg

Check my build log here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/depron-weatboard-f3a-pattern-aircraft-attempt.65489/

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So, I happen to know the guy who placed 1st (Chris Avellino) in the Sportsman category at the 2022 Tucson Aerobatic Shootout; he flies an AJ Aircraft 91" Raven for pattern flight. His caller for that event, Dave Ellis, won a number of IMAC events in the Southwest region as well in the Novice category, and was flying an Extreme Flight 70" Extra 300. For pattern flying, there may be other planes out there, but from what I've seen the majority of wins happening with (at least in the Southwest region) they've been with Extras or Edges.

Now, do you need to go with one of those types of planes? No. You can certainly fly others, and many have and many do. :) Foamboard planes, however, I wouldn't put any of them up in competition against some of the bigger planes. They don't have the mass that the bigger planes do, and in all honesty, that mass makes a big difference in the precision flying, since it's not quite as twitchy or affected by wind as a smaller/lighter plane.

If you're just wanting to practice basic maneuvers, sure, a foamboard plane will let you get the concept down, but if you're going to be doing serious competition, I think you'll want something bigger with more mass.

L Edge

Master member
I would tend to buy a pattern model them try to build one especially in foam. Main reason is the airfoil shape is important as well as straightness, symmetry, twist , etc. It did not take long to realize that we had to move from my builds to having a "MASTER BUILDER" who uses a granite table and micrometers etc., to get it right. What a difference in trimming!!

With that said, I am telling you to do is get a molded foam model that you have researched and others that agree is a starter and go from there. I had a jedi in the family and he needed top equipment to compete. Even had to move the glow fuel tank over the CG so as the fuel ran down so it did not effect the maneuvers.

If FT made the pattern model, very few would be sold.

model14

The "Queen Elizabeth" is a beautiful plane. I can't argue that an FT foam board plane could ever compete in AMA pattern at other than the beginner level. But were always looking for new FT FB designs, and this would be a good inexpensive introduction to pattern flying, and something different at the flying field. I fly at a fantastic field in Lee Summit, MO. Every plane and power combo are flown here, conducting every maneuver you can imagine, except one: precision aerobatics. I'm trying to get it going.

model14

My plane built by turning the Simple Stick fuselage upside down has been flown by our field master flyer, and it flies very well. He trimmed it out for me, and I will give it a try next time out. Very little trim adjustment was required. It is underpowered for serious aerobatic work, but I'll leave it alone until I can handle it. it is a simple conversion to turn the Simple Stick into a low wing model.

L Edge

Master member
My plane built by turning the Simple Stick fuselage upside down has been flown by our field master flyer, and it flies very well. He trimmed it out for me, and I will give it a try next time out. Very little trim adjustment was required. It is underpowered for serious aerobatic work, but I'll leave it alone until I can handle it. it is a simple conversion to turn the Simple Stick into a low wing model.

Why don't you find the design specs and try a Super Kaos without a canopy and scale it. In fact, the canopy removed gave it better performance. Big question is how you make the wing. He won every meet on the circuit.

plane.jpg

danskis

Master member
My 60% Kwik Fly flew well until I botched a hand launch. The next one will be an 80% (48 inches) Kwik Fly 3 with an xps hot wire foam wing.

model14

I just downloaded it. Thank you.
Today at the field I just practiced flying straight and level. It isn't easy but became easier as I refined the trim.

L Edge

Master member
I just discovered "trim" myself. I'm looking forward to working with it.

Don't forget to do the trimming in vertical. Big factor is the correct prop in the process and position of thrust line.. On the average, it use to take 15 to 25 runs to trim it.

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
@L Edge - thanks for the input. What about speed? Is that subjective or do most fly at a slower speed than when you're out there just boring holes in the sky?

L Edge

Master member
@L Edge - thanks for the input. What about speed? Is that subjective or do most fly at a slower speed than when you're out there just boring holes in the sky?

There is a range of speed(around 3/4 throttle and probably 70 to 90 mph) to do most maneuvers. Going vert requires more throttle and less descending. Doing a 8 pt roll you had to slow down to get it in for the judges. So it varies.
Timing is the big thing, say doing a stall turn, you need to have the judges see it come to a rest, rotate and back down. Timing of the position of the throttle, when to kick the rudder in and correct if you have to to get top score.