Bills Law strikes again! Life of a Psyborg documented.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I figure at this point I should just start putting all the stoopid things that always happen to me into a record. That way I can go back and laugh after getting over the frustration of the things that happen.

I was out flying today and realized three things. First is my action camera no longer seems to want to work. I killed the lcd like the 3rd day I had it. Up til now it has still recorded fine altho it was locked into 720p 60 fps because I could not see the menu to change it. It now may or may not record even though it powers up. That or it will power itself off after about 30 seconds whether it is recording or not. Battery life is about the same two days of recording so about 10 flights between 3 and 10 minutes each.

The second thing I found today was that after replacing the FC and getting it back in the air and tuned. I recently started getting some vibrations and it started at the end of my re-tuning process so I have been chasing the tune because of the bearings in the two front motors. I can feel the shafts move slightly now Do you guys replace bearings and if so where do you get them and what brand. I know Timkin bearings for automobile stuff was the standard upgrade for my cars from stock. but have no idea small sealed bearing manufacturers for high speed stuff. What sux is I just did my grocery shopping for the month and cut it short so I could order the Gremlin kit so the expendable finances for the month are already gone. Bills Law at its best huh. The quad still flys great it just makes my eyes buggy when I hit the upper range of the throttle in the FPV camera. I originally thought maybe the camera was loose in the case even with the O rings.

Th third thing I learned today is... I SUCK at Split S turns at higher speeds. I hit my gate so many times today.. surpisingly I did not even bend a prop. One TINY ding in one of them is all. I am likeing these Dal Cyclones more and more and will be upping them to the 5051's the next order. These are the 5046's to test how much heat they generate and everything comes down cool so far.. Well maybe not the batteries. My runs are hitting 900mah on a 1300 by the time the 30 second warning is announce on a 1:20 % timer. Guess I am getting faster finally? That or just sucking juice hehe. I did notice the timer needed shortening with the Dal 5045's I had been flying since I built it.

Anyway I did a video with the crappy Split S crashes. The first one I put it in the neighbors tree and ended up having to introduce myself so I could retrieve it from their yard. Nice people actually. Said they enjoy watching it fly and the progress I have made. The last part is the full battery run on the last pack of the day.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Some pretty chunky music there man. :)

You don't suk at split S turns. You suk at that gate though. :D

Still better than me. It snowed and blowed here all weekend.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
BuddyRC and ReadyMadeRC have replacement bearings. What motors do you have? I have yet to destroy any bearings because I build and fly way too much stuff. I picked up some used motors a while back and one was completely borked with stripped mount holes and broken wires. Took the bearings out and made some of those 3D printed fidget spinner thingies in pico size.
TinySpinnerz.jpg
Canned air or a straw blowing on these puppies annoys the living snot out of my co-workers. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
It may not be the best option, but in my experience with trying to extend the useful life of these brushless motors, a little wax based lubricant (I use boeshield T9) or even light machine oil is a great way to temporarily smooth out bad sealed bearings. Those bearings can get dirty and the oil as a cleaning effect on them. The thicker wax based lube works to tighten up any mechanical looseness too.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
LB:
I have the standard Lumenier 2350 kv stock "Kiss Alien" motors. I have no problems mechanically doing a swap if its cost effective and I can get as good or better bearings cheaper then the motors themselves. I do know that precision bearings can be rather expensive after working on cars and such though so I am drawing on people here who have experience with the cost and the value rather then just swapping out a motor and putting it in the bone yard should I need piece parts down the road.

Makattack:

Thanks for the tip mate. I thought about using some sort of lube to extend their life from day one. Then I thought of where I would be most likely flying and wondered if the added constant cleaning and maintenance would be a real benefit. As I have not heard bad things at all about these specific motors I decided to go as is and see what the life span for them averaged out to be.

As much and as hard as I try to fly them I am really impressed. I do not think its dirt as they are not "clicky" and bind in any slightest way. I think the race's are simply worn as I can barely feel the shaft rock in them. This of course seems to translate into a big deal for a very sensitive FC at high rpm's. I do not believe it is enough to worry over just yet but it is enough to make my eyes go buggy if I fly a lot in the upper throttle range which is my whole goal for practice to begin with.

Cranial:

I found various places for free music and have a folder with all types from country to dubstep. I am 80's metal head so I prefer the harder rock stuff. That said I don't choose my tunes for videos by genre. I merely open the folder which sorts by play time and use the first one that closest matches the edit length. If it is really off for the video feel I go on to the next closest. Lazy AND effective hehe.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm not to sure about them ceramic bearings just yet. They look good on paper but I crash wayy to much to take that risk that each time I do I could very easily shatter them. Maybe someday after I have a bunch of sponsors :rolleyes: and upper tier skills I will try them. So yeah It does sound like replacing them may be cost effective.

I have been mulling this thru my head and am wondering now if it even is the bearings. It could be the softer aluminum bells getting deformed from blade strikes and impacts on the bells themselves. Hard to tell as I have always kept an eye on the gap between the base and the bells to make sure they are still running straight and true. this is where they "PSY" in Psyborg kicks in making me more mental..

AHHHH STOP YELLING AT ME!!! sorry Steve Buschemie flashback.

grnd flyr

and yet another bearing source for ya...

I've been happy with Boca bearings in the past, might be worth checking out. Email them questions and they get back to you pretty quick. (...at least they did for me in the past...)

3.00 x 8.00 x 4.00 METRIC
https://www.bocabearings.com/products/99mr693-zz-x10-16781

Description
RC Car & Truck Econo bearing 10 packs are the most affordable way to replace stock bearings with high quality standard bearings. Boca's Econo RC Bearings have long been the industry standard for backyard bashers the world over. These bearings have chrome steel races, balls, retainers and shields. All Econo bearings are packed in grease and will require a short break in period to loosen up. Each kit contains 10 bearings and is available for a limited time only at just 99 cents per bearing! (3x8x4mm)
Price: $9.89

...a buck a bearing aren't bad tho... :) just ask them if they would recommend them for this application.

more:
https://www.bocabearings.com/parts/3x8x4-Mm

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ahh yes I have heard that name before reading thru somewhere in these threads. I will definitely email them and see what is available. Matter of fact I will have to go look but I think the bearings for my nitro franken truck has BOCA replacements off one of the RC race car specialty sites.

Tyvm for the links and jogging the memory.

grnd flyr

Your welcome, happened to remember something... in the bearings I got at the time, they offered to ultrasound the grease off for me for free. Noticed that the set I linked to are packed with grease not just oil, which I'm pretty sure is what you want here. Again, they will point you to or offer good advice, they make good product.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I sent a message in the contact pop up when I looked at their page. I will assume something will be in my email tomorrow some time when I get the ambition to look. Again thanks for the find and the help. This is what makes FT so freakin :cool:

STUNTECH

If the outer race of the bearing is wobbling its journal you could try some retaining compound on the outer race of your new bearings before installing them? I'm new to quads but have worked with bearings in aluminum for a long time. Something like loctite 680 but maybe not quite as strong.Just a thought...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks for the advise mate. BTW I just did a long reply to your thread. Go have a look and see if that helps. For now I am off to bed and can help more tomorrow if need be. GL and happy flying if it helps you.

Liam B

If it makes you feel better, PsyBorg, right after I saw this post I went out flying and killed $100 of video equipment on my newly tuned and flying KISS Alien (thanks for your help with the Windows situation, by the way!). But I must agree, bearing replacement does seem ideal. I wouldn't want to spend all the money for new motors.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So to continue Bills Law and the effects on my life... Looked into replacement bearings.. the guy emails me back says yes we have them they are 7.95 each. Still cheaper then a new motor but when you factor in time and shipping as well as the repairs not really worth it in my book.

On a bright anti Bills law note my gremlin just arrived!!!!! Guess what I will be doing this evening.. OMG I am actually skeered that stuff is so tiny. This will surely be an adventure.

Back to Bills law... and this is really a prime example of its consequences and effects.. Each year I have lived where I am I have planted a few watermelon seeds to grow out on my balcony each spring. This year is no different. I got two fresh bags of topsoil from a friends stock pile and did my standard cut a coffee container in half to make a starter pot for the windowsill back in late February early March..

Last weekend I had transferred the one seed that had started into the outside planter I use so they can weave around the railings and do their thing. Went out to check on it today and see if enough of the rain water has been getting to them on the covered balcony and when I saw the plant thru the window as I opened the door I was thinking man that looks strange. I walk out and look closer and come to find out my water melon seed sprouted a corn plant... Now I claim not to be a farmer by any means but I sure as heck know the difference between the water melon seeds I have stored for years now and a kernel of corn.. Bills law has manipulated the system some how where I planted six water melon seeds and managed to get one corn stalk..

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I walk out and look closer and come to find out my water melon seed sprouted a corn plant... Now I claim not to be a farmer by any means but I sure as heck know the difference between the water melon seeds I have stored for years now and a kernel of corn.. Bills law has manipulated the system some how where I planted six water melon seeds and managed to get one corn stalk..

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.

Thanks man. I needed that. :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Seriously though.. what am I living in some perverted live action version of minecraft now? And you are very welcome for the laughs. Kinda why I started this thread.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Un F'in believable.. All that crap I went thru with drivers for the KISS FC and now Betaflight is not going into boot loader mode even though windows loads it into boot loader mode.

When are these guys gonna pull their heads from their..... and get this crap to work properly with out a bunch of Fiddle F'in around every time you plug one of their controllers in.

I plugged in the Gremlin FC just like TJ did.. Window went Bing sat for a second saying it was loading drivers and connected. I click connect the FC is seen .. Step one complete. Set Beta flight to no boot sequence, flash on connect, short the boot loader pins again windows goes ding says its in DFU mode and Betaflight sits there like a brain damaged worm no change in coms no DFU no nothing. UN F'IN BELIEVABLE.

Look at the usb port and it is sitting in DFU Bool loader mode.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
PB, What flight controller did they send you? Do you have a screenshot of the Device Manager showing it in DFU mode? Sounds like we just need to get it to assign the right driver. ( I blame Windows Driver behavior not the FC makers)

Cheers!
LB

PS: SO ready for this rain to move out. Bad migraines last two days on top of not being able to get out and fly.