Bixler motor broken. New motor suggestions?

RcPro97

Hi everyone.

My bixler 1.1 killed a ESC a few months ago, it was a mystrey (blueseries) 40A. I thought It died because of lack of airflow in the fuselage.

Today I finally got around to putting another ESC in it, I replaced it with a blueseries 30A, but this time mounted it ontop of the wing to get as much airflow as it could. I did mean to get a 40A, but accidentally didn't. However after only 5 mins of flight, the motor started making a terrible noise, and felt like it was down to about half power.

Came in and landed, but cant tell what went wrong. My motor wingdings look good, and don't smell hot. And my bearings feel normal.

Restarting it didnt help, same problem on the bench.

So wondering on what a good replacement motor for the bixler is?

Going to test tomorrow that it's the motor that's died on a different ESC, however thought I would start this thread now so I can order as soon as I know for sure.

Thanks everyone

quorneng

Master member
If the motor has failed in some way do be careful 'testing' it on another ESC or you will find it will 'blow' that one as well!
Brushless motors are pretty reliable. There is virtually nothing to go wrong unless a short circuit develops between adjacent wires in the stator or a magnet comes loose and jams the motor.
In either of these cases the motor will try to keep running and will draw a lot of current. Quite likely more than the ESC can provide for even a few seconds!

NuttyGeezer

If the motor has failed in some way do be careful 'testing' it on another ESC or you will find it will 'blow' that one as well!
Brushless motors are pretty reliable. There is virtually nothing to go wrong unless a short circuit develops between adjacent wires in the stator or a magnet comes loose and jams the motor.
In either of these cases the motor will try to keep running and will draw a lot of current. Quite likely more than the ESC can provide for even a few seconds!

Dont test the motor, test the ESC instead. A bad ESC can't kill a motor, but a bad motor can kill an ESC

sconner

I run a Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv motor from HK in my Bix2. It is a pretty hot motor, but has plenty of power to get me out of a jam when needed. Most the time I run like 1/4 throttle. Just double check your ESC to make sure it can power it. I easily get 20min flight times (or better) with a 3S 2200.

sconner

NuttyGeezer

I run a Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv motor from HK in my Bix2. It is a pretty hot motor, but has plenty of power to get me out of a jam when needed. Most the time I run like 1/4 throttle. Just double check your ESC to make sure it can power it. I easily get 20min flight times (or better) with a 3S 2200.

sconner

Nice. What prop do you use on that?

RcPro97

Thanks everyone.
Really sorry for the late reply. I've been distracted with work and polytech, so my bixler been collecting dust yet again...

So It's time to sort this once and for all. I've done some looking around as well, and I think the turnigy D2826-6 2200kv is going to be the best option for me.

So I've got a 30A HK blueseries strapped to the top of the wing. Most people recommend a 40A, so I might do that, just to make sure it's going to be reliable. Have another project the 30A might be a good fit for.

So there are 3 different ESC I am considering using. Can you guys give youre opinions on them? Temped to go with the good old plush, cause I know it will work. But then if the HK ones are going to do the same job, it's just a waste of money.
Both the hobbyking ones I'm having trouble on deciding the difference, they are both have the same specs, so tempted to go with the lighter one.

Turnigy plush
HobbyKing 40A ESC
Hobby King 40A ESC

Thanks everyone for youre awesome help!

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
RcPro97
Just remember that an motor is a relatively simple electro/mechanical device which tends to mean it can withstand significant short duration over load so variations in build quality tend not to be too significant.
An ESC is in comparison a complex piece of electronics. Overloads of either current or heat can cause an instant failure so the normal variations in component quality mean there will always be better or worse examples of any brand.

As an end user of a mass produced product there is an element of 'pot' luck in the choice you make and which you can do little about apart from making sure your installation keeps below the ESCs specs at all times. ;)

sconner

Out of those options I'd probably go for the Turnigy Plush. They have been highly regarded in the budget arena for quite a while. That being said, I have a couple HK ESCs and haven't had a lick of problems with any of them. They were quite a bit cheaper as well. However, I did notice they were from all different warehouses though. Make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples.

sconner