20210130_020648.jpg IMG-20210226-WA0006.jpeg
HANGERS - SIMPLE STICK
20210217_203344.jpg 20210217_203409.jpg 20210217_212730.jpg
SPITFIRE
IMG-20200617-WA0000.jpeg IMG-20200619-WA0000.jpeg
EDGE 540
20210407_174348.jpg 20210407_174356.jpg 20210407_174417.jpg 20210407_174440.jpg

Codyprice0295

I have just converted my FT Edge 540 from a twin to a tri prop.
I won't go into the math's but I was originally running a 12x6 twin producing 1450g of thrust with a specific motor & battery setup. Unfortunately following some previous crashes and modifications I've ended up with vibration issues when I throttled up.
As I didn't have a spare 12x6 to swap over and couldn't be arsed balancing the prop and spinner, I opted for the next best thing that I did have an 11x5 twin prop. The calculated thrust for that prop would have been 1350g, so no significant drop.
However, to run an equivalent 3 blade prop and get roughly the same 1350g of thrust I calculated that I would need a 10x5 to achieve this. As I already had a 10x5 three blade prop, I fitted it today. Low and behold the vibration has gone and the plane feels like she has her thrust back win, win.
Tri blades have there uses and may not be as inefficient as you thought ;)(y)
Please tell me the uses! From what I read I suspect a low end torque gain with a forward airspeed loss. I feel like for a brush sport stol craft like a carbon cub forward airspeed can be put aside for initial torque. Torque is more appealing to me. Also the full scale Cubs are starting to come with a 3 blade option called the pathfinder. Any insight on differences in overall feel will be good information. However, for a few dollars I can just find out myself.

Codyprice0295

4s 3200. Batteries. The 4s is the amount of cells? The 3200 is the ???
Battery weight. If you stick a 4s in a carbon cub that is really fooling with cg. I’ve been told it makes the motor wake up, but why wake up the motor on an extremely nose heavy plane??? Way too many questions.
One thing I haven’t been able to find here in Okeechobee Florida is other RC pilots. I need some trade tips… but I don’t have insurance, that may deter some from wanting to even acknowledge me. I guess I’ll eventually get the damn insurance because I want to go all the way with this. It’s way to cool not to.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Please tell me the uses! From what I read I suspect a low end torque gain with a forward airspeed loss. I feel like for a brush sport stol craft like a carbon cub forward airspeed can be put aside for initial torque. Torque is more appealing to me. Also the full scale Cubs are starting to come with a 3 blade option called the pathfinder. Any insight on differences in overall feel will be good information. However, for a few dollars I can just find out myself.
Initially I wont be doing 3D with the Edge I just want to get it airborne again and trimmed. So preliminary flights just circling around and basic maneuvers isn't going to be an issue for the motor prop setup.
Once its flying how I want it then I will be in a better position to tell you how a tri prop works on this model, I know how it flew before with the 12x6 twin blade so at least I can get some comparison.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
4s 3200. Batteries. The 4s is the amount of cells? The 3200 is the ???
Battery weight. If you stick a 4s in a carbon cub that is really fooling with cg. I’ve been told it makes the motor wake up, but why wake up the motor on an extremely nose heavy plane??? Way too many questions.
One thing I haven’t been able to find here in Okeechobee Florida is other RC pilots. I need some trade tips… but I don’t have insurance, that may deter some from wanting to even acknowledge me. I guess I’ll eventually get the damn insurance because I want to go all the way with this. It’s way to cool not to.
The Carbon Cub usually comes with a stock setup that works fine for that model. Companies like Horizon employ people to do all the hard work tweaking these models and optimising them before they put them on the shelf as an ARTF model.
There is a well known saying, If something aint broke don't mend it ? in other words if your Cub is ready to fly don't mess with that setup.
I wouldn't dream of buying a Durafly Tundra and then start swapping motors and props. models like that are perfectly setup as supplied so why change it ?
If you bought it as a kit and your building it up yourself, just stick with the Horizon specification and what they suggest.
I only tweak and modify planes that need an upgrade or replacement parts due to wear and tare. Or customise Flite Test scratch builds that I can upgrade or modify to my preference, which don't really matter if they crash or fail.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Is that a free flight model I see there in the middle ?
Yeah. It's a "Kanga" designed by C. E. Bowden back in 1937 originally as a free flight model.

Mine flies with RC assist though I only really use the RC bit to land it and to leave thermals when it starts getting too high up to see. Once I find one I trim it to stay in a circle and occasionally bump the rudder to stay centered. This model was built very well and very light and flies wonderfully. It's 22 years old and still active (and almost certainly the only one of its kind still airworthy)

P_20201021_160959.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Mainly I fly these. No problems rippin holes in the sky with them at all. Fixed wing on the other hand still eludes me.

This one is for flippy floppies doing freestyle
IMG_0550.JPG

This one is flat out speed demon and has seen close to 150mph straight line with the configuration below.
IMG_0602.JPG

But do love building planes. Still not so good at flying but I can make em pretty for sure. Here is the latest one I did of a DGA-6 design by fellow forum member @mayan with a kit cut by @kilroy07 and some slight modifications of my own. Now Just gotta learn how to get em in the air and put em back down in one piece. I now have several hangar queens that have I not attempted to put in the air yet because they did turn out too nice for early graves. In time though in time.

IMG_20211025_191337_274.jpg

IMG_20211027_161326_893.jpg

IMG_20211030_235950_391.jpg

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Mainly I fly these. No problems rippin holes in the sky with them at all. Fixed wing on the other hand still eludes me.

This one is for flippy floppies doing freestyle
View attachment 212120

This one is flat out speed demon and has seen close to 150mph straight line with the configuration below.
View attachment 212121

But do love building planes. Still not so good at flying but I can make em pretty for sure. Here is the latest one I did of a DGA-6 design by fellow forum member @mayan with a kit cut by @kilroy07 and some slight modifications of my own. Now Just gotta learn how to get em in the air and put em back down in one piece. I now have several hangar queens that have I not attempted to put in the air yet because they did turn out too nice for early graves. In time though in time.

View attachment 212122

View attachment 212123

View attachment 212124
Nice build :)(y)looks great.