Buying a kit someone else built, buyer beware!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
When buying a plane somebody else built, buyer beware. Take the time to inspect it and know what you're getting into so you don't end up with:

IMG_0174.JPG

I tried to talk my dad out of this one, and should have tried harder. He's spent too much time fixing issues just to make the plane airworthy, so he's started calling the plane "the Hemorrhoid". I couldn't resist making the vinyl decal for him at work one day and we finally got a chance to install it today.

AMEN!!! A while back I picked up an old Funtana S40. I bought it with an old OS FS-90 rear cam on it. The engine would never run right, the POs fuel system was awful! It was also missing the detent spring on the mixture needle and I think by constantly going lean, it burned the ring. Needless to say a new ring for an OS rear cam 90 is made from unobtanium these days.

It was originally supposed to a .40 size plane, but it would have been horrendously under-powered with a .40. I was in the process of adapting an FS-91 Surpass on after the 90 diead, and one of the motor mount blind nuts stripped out.... Between fuel system, engine issues (which dead sticks on take-off ripped the gear out twice), and other problems associated with the assembly of this ARF, I think I am done with it! Life's too short to fight a plane.

If anyone in the Idaho Falls area wants a free Funtana 40S, sans all electronic gear, shoot me a PM and it's yours! The landing gear is fixed, the covering is fixed, and all it needs is some gear. It might make a good electric conversion, but I have a lot of other projects and this one is at the bottom of the list. The stripped out blind nut just put me past my patience limit on this one. It will also need the blind nut fixed... The screw will probably have to be cut out with a dremel....

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I disagree.

Any purchase that causes the name Hemorrhoid to be used as a plane name is a good purchase imo :)

Well done.

BobK

Banned
What is all wrong with the Hemorrhoid (lol)? It doesn't look like a terrible plane in the pic..of course easy for me to say since I'm not trying to fly it :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'll preface this by saying I've built 3 different planes from the company which sells this kit and contend that they are VERY well designed. I've made modifications to two of them, but they were all modifications which allowed for more modern electronics. The third one needed absolutely no changes, and after over 125 flights I still wouldn't change anything on it.

The biggest problem with the Hemorrhoid is that the builder deviated from the original plan in areas that shouldn't have been changed. This kit is designed to be relatively light weight and therefore doesn't need to be over-built (build to fly, not to crash). The tail surfaces were created by the kit designer to be lightly built and hinged with tape, but regular hinges were installed which drastically weakened the control surfaces to the point it would not have survived a single flight, so they needed to be re-built. This also added a little weight far back from the CoG. The ailerons should be simple flat sheet but are either built-up or solid aileron stock mounted by pin-style hinges instead of tape, creating more weight and complexity. The aileron servo installation was also not executed well, and I found one of the servos completely loose in the wing. The builder tried installing them in a way that looks better instead of how it was designed to work. I understand the thinking, but it just wasn't a good idea. The wing mounting was also a problem and some additional work was needed to make sure the wings wouldn't break from the fuselage during flight. That could have been an exciting (short) flight...!

This may come back to haunt him, but the suggestion to my dad was to completely strip the plane and fix any problems before re-covering. He didn't want to go that far and elected to just fix what he could find instead. It's his plane, and his decision. But he's having me do the maiden. :black_eyed: Completely stripping the plane is extra work, but you know exactly what you're working with when you do that. I'm currently doing that to a 1/4 scale J-3 Cub, and found plenty of issues that needed addressing.

On the good side, the builder did a very nice job coming up with the design on the covering - it was more complex than I'd normally do and turned out well. The overall construction was clean as well.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
No, an EVA by Mountain Models. The kit was designed very well by the manufacturer, and I look forward to building one for myself some day.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I think it was simply from not believing the manufacturer knows what they're doing. The changes would have been understandable on a larger plane, but this is supposed to brought and nimble, and was designed that way.

BobK

Banned
Ounces and grams are HUGE on a kit of this size for it to perform correctly, I honestly didn't recognize it was an EVA at first.