Cheap batteries!!!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hi guys I'm in a pickle.......
So I can't afford proper rc plane batteries....
But I have access to 3.7 v 300mah, batteries they arent lithium iron I think they are lithium polymer.
U can find them on aliexpress or banggood pls let me know how I could use them...
For a simple FT Cub.
Thanks
Matthew

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
can you take a picture of it? 1s 300mAh wouldn't fly a FT Simple Cub. The recommended battery for the FT Simple Cub is a 3s 1300mAh (way bigger then that).

the battery your have sounds like it might be ment for the mini plans (12-18" wing span) or a tiny woop. if it is actually lithium-ion and not li-po, it likely doesn't have the C rating (how fast you can discharge it) to fly anything.

JasonK

disregarding the issue with battery balance (if battery cells aren't well balanced you can get some issues..) to get something close to 3S 1300 mAh you would need 12 of them wired up as 3s4p and I still am not sure if they could put out the current needed for the motor recommended for the plane in question.

Timmy

Legendary member
disregarding the issue with battery balance (if battery cells aren't well balanced you can get some issues..) to get something close to 3S 1300 mAh you would need 12 of them wired up as 3s4p and I still am not sure if they could put out the current needed for the motor recommended for the plane in question.
I agree, the batteries need to balanced exactly but I'm pretty sure they could put out the current needed. But then again I could be wrong.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
As people have said, it can be done, but it is probably safer and cheaper to just get a 3s battery from hobby king or something. They might not ship right now though.

JasonK

given that most FT planes get 5-10 minute flight times - it is likely pulling an average of 15.6A. The ESC that comes with the recommend power pack is a 35A ESC, so they they have it setup to be able to pull well over your 8 amps your stating.

The recommened lipo is a 45C battery, the only thing close to what you showed that I could find a C rating on it was 20... setup as indicated it would only have about 45% of functional current draw rate as the recommended battery.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Ok, so if you were going to get 12 of those batteries to connect together, they would cost around 20 dollars total (if my calculator isn't lying), and they still wouldn't supply the power needed. A turnigy 1300 3s 30c battery from hobby king is just over 12 dollars. Sure, the shipping will be higher, but if you get more than one it should be worth it.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Ouch.....OK I guess I'll try to find a couple of the proper ones.
If south Africa has any.....I couldn't even find a single servo for less than $50...