cheap quadcopter photography fpv setup

cwills

hi,

I am looking for a quadcopter that i can use to film my family when on holiday or out for the day. I have trouble getting around and walking so i can't get a paper round or anything so i can't afford to buy the expensive dii's, blade, and all of those quadcopters and was wondering if anyone would recommend a quadcopter or a quadcopter build that would be cheap and not to complicated for me to work out.

thanks

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
What's your budget for the entire gambit?

Meaning how much can you spend for a transmitter, quad, goggles or display, camera, video transmitter? Do you also want to record your flights?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Starting from the ground up is expensive to jump to full FPV/DVR outdoor flyablity. $630, isn't impossible, it can be done if you are conservative with your transmitter and goggle purchase. I'm thinking a sub $70 transmitter and goggles/Vtx/camera bundle for $200. That leaves you with around $360 to get a quad, FCB, couple of batteries, charger, battery power supply, receiver, ESCs and motors and possibly something like a Runcam camera. It's doable, but it would be tight, since the shipping would be upwards of $40.

Or you could merely grab an RTF, and then attach the FPV components.

CharelZa

There are a few rtf quads these days that comes with almost everything you need, or at least most, like wltoys v303 or quantum nova and others in that line. If you do a bit of searching on various online shops you're sure to find something soon.
a gimbal is a nice to have but not a necessity, just keep that in mind

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Although, when you buy RTFs that can record and do FPV for less than three or four hundred, the video recorded is really for personal entertainment, not so much for gathering around in the living room with friends. If you want that, you'll have to go minimally for a Mobius or similar. But many feel the bottom-end of the higher-end video segment is something like the GoPro.

cwills

thanks for your advice. that quad that you linked RTF would you recommend that to carry a go pro without a gimbal? thanks

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, it will lift a GoPro, and would probably provide around 15 minutes with a 3300mAh 3S 35c (or similar) carrying FPV components and a GoPro. I would suggest buying 3 or 4 batteries. A couple 1800 or 2200 3S to learn with. They are relatively light, so when you crash, (and you will crash), the damage will be minimal. Then also purchase maybe 1 or 2 3300s for some longer flights.

[edit] I link to a 3300 battery without an XT60 plug. You would have to get an adapter or put an XT60 on.

From skimming the reviews, it appears you may have to flip a wire or two at the motors to get them to spin the correct direction. But that would take all of a minute to get correct. The ground transmitter is very cheap and probably cost in the $24.99 range if bought separately. But for a quad and transmitter for less than $200, it probably would please a first timer with a somewhat tight budget that wants to lift a card cam and/or a GoPro.

Then if you were to purchase the $200 Fatshark bundle, that leaves you with around $200 for all the other stuff needed such as 3 or 4 batteries, a few extra props, a charger and charger power supply and shipping fees, it appears like you actually might have 70-100 left over put towards a GoPro 3+ White (the cheaper one).

But remember, this quad is using a KK2. It's an excellent beginner control board, but has no return to home (RTH) or GPS, so you'll have to fly relatively close, basically don't fly any further than you would feel comfortable if you lost video.

Last edited:

xoaster

i have the quad he linked to. i also added the deadcat conversion and power distribution board. I swapped to a flip32 fight control board and run 3000mah batteries and it has plenty of power left to fly a camera and fpv setup. i get 13-15 minute flight time with none of that stuff installed.
The KK2.1 board is terrific to learn on, so i'd keep that for awhile if you order it

Darkback2

I got a DJI phantom I for $350 from B&H photo. It was refurbished but worked great. I went with Boscam Gs920 googles which fit nicely over my glasses and a Boscam 32 channel transmitter TS832. I also got multistar 3000mah lipos. Getting that and a gopro would really strain your budget...so maybe wait on the goggles and get a cheap LCD screen in the mean time? The cool thing about the phantom is it came with a radio...and it has some cool features that make filming easier.

Hope this helps.

DB

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, I suggested the Fatshark bundle as the bare minimum for the "FPV experience". You get some decent goggles, plus the Vtx and the camera.

I have the Hobby King foam box and they're 'ok' for short term viewing, such as letting a friend watch, or if the humidity is sky high, since my Fatsharks fog up with their silicone eye cups. . . but for your only pair. . . I am not comfortable recommending them. . .or a hooded monitor.

It's just not the same level of immersion in my opinion.

Darkback2

Honestly I am wondering if you couldn't get more if you spaced out your purchases? I had my refurbished phantom for about 3 months before I got my goggles...