Composite EDF F-22

MikeJM

It is a modified Steve Schumate design. Changed from a 26" wingspan pusher prop to a 39" wingspan dual EDF.

I am doing foam composite construction (finish epoxy & 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth). It has dual 70mm EDFs, and thrust vectoring exhaust. At the moment I plan on mixing Ailerons with thrust vectoring, Elevator mix with thrust vectoring and Flaperons. I expect to weigh in less than 5 pounds, my EDF units produce 2.6lbs of thrust each.

Unfortunately I can't install retracts since we only have a rough grass field.

Here is a picture of my current progress: Bottom and top. I plan on glueing on 3mm depron over the wing ribs and then epoxy/ fiberglass cloth.

I have more pictures from the start to current.

Mike

Attachments

• F-22 22 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 22 RESIZED.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 845
  • F-22 20 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 20 RESIZED.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 893

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Awesome Mike! That looks like a cool flyer, will you be able to do high-alpha with the thrust vectoring exhaust?

MikeJM

Hoping for High Alpha

I built a similar "Prototype" for testing out of Blue fanfold. It had dual 56mm EDFs, but was underpowered and had no control authority at slow speeds. I'm hoping the thrust vectoring will help with that, even though I don't think speed will be a problem with this one. Here is a picture of my prototype. I had to lable it so I wouldn't get too attached to it if it crashed and burned. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• prototype resized.jpg
    prototype resized.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 648

MikeJM

From the start

Since there is a little interest, I will post a few pictures and wait if there are questions to answer before I continue up to the present.

Here is where I started:

Attachments

• F-22 1 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 1 RESIZED.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 637

MikeJM

control surfaces

They are foam with balsa and CF leading and trailing edges covered with epoxy/ fiberglass. The ailerons will be cut from the wing after it is sheeted with 3mm depron, one of the views show the ailerons marked out. I will epoxy on balsa after it is cut off, similar to the vertical stabs.

Attachments

• F-22 4 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 4 RESIZED.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 298
  • F-22 5 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 5 RESIZED.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 300
  • F-22 6 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 6 RESIZED.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 8

earthsciteach

Hey, can we get a popcorn munching emoticon in here???

Thanks for sharing your build. It looks fantastic! What are your air ducts made of?

MikeJM

Air ducts

Hey, can we get a popcorn munching emoticon in here???

Thanks for sharing your build. It looks fantastic! What are your air ducts made of?

The air ducts are made with 3mm rolled depron.....got an interesting side note about them. I'll tell you after you see them for comments.

Attachments

• F-22 7 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 7 RESIZED.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 278
  • F-22 11 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 11 RESIZED.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 278

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Very nice build! Shumate's designs are some of my favorites. I've scaled up several of his models and they fly fantastic. Even did an EDF conversion of his SU-37 years ago. It flew well but would fly fantastic with the power systems available today.

MikeJM

Ducts

I thought the ducts where made of ABS pipe at first.:rolleyes:

After I installed the tubes and test mounted my EDFs, I thought I would run one of the motors. Well, I learned that those motors are very powerful, I actually collapsed the tube at the intake. I'm just glad it happened now instead of after everything was closed up and on the runway.

The fix was that I covered them all with fiberglass cloth and epoxy, they are much more stable now.

Last edited:

MikeJM

Design work

Had to draw up some bulkheads to accomodate the ducts. Here are a few progress pictures.

Attachments

• F-22 7a RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 7a RESIZED.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 251
  • F-22 8 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 8 RESIZED.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 7
  • F-22 9 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 9 RESIZED.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 251

MikeJM

It should be an interesting video

Make sure to post a flight video when you get it finished.

I will make sure to do that.

Progress pictures, working on the servo locations and linkages.

Attachments

• F-22 12 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 12 RESIZED.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 240
  • F-22 13 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 13 RESIZED.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 240
  • F-22 15 RESIZED.jpg
    F-22 15 RESIZED.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 8