Crash's STOL build log.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I think i am going to adjust the gap between the wings. I'm not sure how well they will stay on. there is only about a 1/2 inch of foam touching. Its being held on with 4 zipties around the carbon spars in the center. If i can close it down I can first co with velcro and then maybe 3m double sided tape. Though it does take up most of my back seat if I leave the wing on. If i leave it in two pieces I could rotate the wing 90 degrees and make it a lot easier to transport.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Ok wing has been adjusted.
motor pods are made and being mounted. Have to fix one motors bullet connector as it came apart after testing the direction. A little tip for those that remove motors from esc. Mark two leads with two different colors

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    984.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 13

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Ok it's done. First........ Wtf did I create!!!!!!!! This thing is hypersonic! It wasn't full speed when it ran into my grass but it was cruising! Second is that 2200 the cause of the speed? Cause I'll put my little batteries on each motor and leave the 2200 in for balance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Liemavick

Mentor
If your spinning the props that fast you may want to get some real prop adapters instead of the prop savers. :) Sounds like you have a beast on your hands, I LIKE IT!

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I just did a quick power test in the driveway. I hope I can get it into the air. I don't think the flaps are big enough. Might have to try that falaperon mix to add to the take off lift. The plane is heavy but I hope it lifts off because trying to hand launch this beast will be a chalange to do by myself.

Liemavick

Mentor
Bro just have one of those C130's outside give you a tow, they should have enough to get you off the ground :) I had the same disappointment with mine. Its small but stocky in the boots. I have another larger battery coming hopefully Friday to where I can try again for the take off on pavement. First attempt looked like a kids toy not designed to fly as it ripped down the road. I've seen a lizard run faster.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Well a few snags. It's too goofy on the ground so hand toss. I wasn't paying attention and ailerons were reversed. And third it's in a tree but being in the volunteer fire dept I get to use our ladder truck to get it out. Video to come soon image.jpg

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
In forgot to get the go pro. As it was the chief did me a big favor by letting me use the truck for that. You should have seen the looks when my buddy reached out and pulled it from the tree. I'm not allowed to run the ladder from the bucket so he had to do it

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Well good and bad news. The plane it repairable. Bad news is I didn't get the video of the long flight. It seems I did not hit the button hard enough to record. I have a short one of it being really nutty with full throws.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Ok flight update. No flaps low throws or your looking for trouble. Flys at 1/2 throttle ok, a little more then half and its great. I got up about two mistakes high and it was even more fun. Loops...... Doesn't think twice and saying no. Rolls........ Like a spiral! Glide slope isn't too bad either. Needs a touch of elevator to keep it level but other wise glides great. Now for the scary part...... Flaps. Well I've never used them so I don't know what to expect. Turn them on and nose pitches right up and it wants to stall. I think I need to put them at 50% and try again. Since the tree incident I'm chasing flaws on the plane. The front on the tube got crushed so everything is all loose up there. The Velcro I used pulled two big chunks out of the foam on the last landing when something went goofy and it rolled to the left and crashed the battery flew out of the makeshift nose I made. So I'm thinking about going smaller on the next one. Say a two inch tube a single armin wing and the twin vertical tail set up. The number of motors........ I'm thinking one built into the nose like Ed has built his pods with a single motor. I think two would be crazy. Then again I could mount them at the edges of the wing to make it look "ospreyish"...... Hummmmmm that might be quite cool. Could make a side mounted rotation system using servos to rotate the pod up or down to have some VTOL stuff. That's it that's what I going to do. Since this current frame is falling apart and is being held together with BBQ squers, tape and hot glue.... I could salvage parts from this one and build the homemade "osprey"

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Congrats! I have grand plans to make serious progress on my STOL today.

You are probably deploying the flaps at too high a speed. They will cause the plane to pitch up, if so. Slow her down until she starts to sink then drop first position of flaps. You may still need to point the nose down with elevator until she settles in. Flaps allow a slow, steep landing approach. Sounds like yours will do a nice job of that.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
The problem is after this last crash the tail is buckled, the fuse is all caddywhompis and loose. I think I just made it too big and did not reinforce it properly. I'm actually looking forward to trying the osprey idea. I've got an idea how to program the radio to do what I'm thinking of doing