"Dead-Stick" Challenge!

Are you in?

• Total voters

slowjo

Master member
LOTOVOT= lack of tone of voice over text, when some one miss under stands the joke, its something thats been mentioned before with a misunderstanding

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Finished covering the wing, and the waight still doesn't register on my scale. Here's another pic,
IMG_20201217_210410390.jpg

Piotrsko

Master member
Your right, I've been optimizing my airframe for minimum sink, witch includes making my airframe airodynamic and making sure that it has a low wing loading.
So are you going the full flying airfoil stab with a major rearward shift of CG?

My money is on @quorneng for the win. Definitely will look better than most.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think I might do the ol' "Floating Kidney"(an elongated Nutball for those who aren't familiar). It's actually got a decent glide slope. As a low aspect design in a glider competition, it probably won't take the gold, but it will glide and make for a good show. It was originally designed as a chuck glider anyway. I'll do the basic 3s RET version, use some 3.7g micro servos to cut weight. Maybe I'll slap an aggressive racing prop on it and just blast it up as high and fast as I can within the 10 seconds before cutting power.

quorneng

Master member
As it is mid winter in the UK with gales, heavy rain and flooding forecast I doubt I will fly anything before 1 January but I will try a 10 second climb and glide at the first opportunity with this to see how it does.
19May18.JPG

Particularly if I use a smaller battery and loose 2 oz (50g).
I will have to extend the boom out the back by an inch to meet the 115% rule. ;)
This is what it can do and that's with its big battery.

Piotrsko

Master member
If you look at some of his posts, they are freaking incredible and have documentation. I havent sold my soul to the internet, so I cannot do videos and therefore won't participate.

Doing this hobby for 50 odd years, I know when a poster knows whence they talk and when there's BS. Cant beat @Hai-Lee, @quorneng, @L Edge, @PsyBorg, for what they know or how they learned it. Cant successfully argue with them either.

My $0.02 USD, YMMV

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you look at some of his posts, they are freaking incredible and have documentation. I havent sold my soul to the internet, so I cannot do videos and therefore won't participate.

Doing this hobby for 50 odd years, I know when a poster knows whence they talk and when there's BS. Cant beat @Hai-Lee, @quorneng, @L Edge, @PsyBorg, for what they know or how they learned it. Cant successfully argue with them either.

My $0.02 USD, YMMV

you tryin ta get on my good side? ;)

PS I don't argue. I debate strongly with knowledge and experience and most of all Bills Law!!!! None of which are always on my side hehe.

mastermalpass

Elite member
As it is mid winter in the UK with gales, heavy rain and flooding forecast I doubt I will fly anything before 1 January but I will try a 10 second climb and glide at the first opportunity with this to see how it does.

Not sure what the forecast is for you, but in the South West, winds speeds are due to drop to 9/10mph-ish on Wednesday. Then, on Christmas eve, wind speeds will be more 12/13mph but it's going to be sunny with very low chances of rain. Provided the forecast doesn't pull a lil' sneaky on us as it often likes to here, we'll be getting a few flights in before the New year.

Christmas day will have very nice weather as well. Low chances of rain, wind around 8-9mph and the sun expected to poke out behind the clouds.

So, I've gotta get the new Half Pipe delta out there in one of these coming days, maiden it and get a good recording of its performance before I hand it over to my Dad to get its nose bashed in. The green one will hopefully get its dead-stick run in that time as well. So hopefully, we're gonna get a good Christmas day flying session in (I've bought my Dad a FlySky i6 for Christmas - so he'll likely want to go outside and play with it) :)

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry guys totally flaked on this but cant wait to see who wins. i looked around at several places trying to find the balsa i needed to build the wing i wanted but nothing to be found. i was gonna try and pull a JH Aerospace and put a motor and rocket on a DLG. still think i will look at this at some point but no way by Jan 5th.

good luck to all of you.

laters,

me :cool:

Corsair714

I've got a problem I can get really high in ten seconds like all my planes go out of range by then. I don't really want to get crossfire just for this competition. Are there any receivers that get better range than others?? That aren't really expensive?? I don't want to mod my remote in any way. I started building my rocket jet. I don't think I'm gonna make the deadline though. :(

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I don't think I'll be able to make the deadline either between Christmas and the terrible weather I'm having, so if nobody is against it, I'll move it forward a few weeks. Let's say hmm... January 15th. If anyone submits their entry before January 1st I'll consider adding 10sec to their total time.

william Metge

I don't think I'll be able to make the deadline either between Christmas and the terrible weather I'm having, so if nobody is against it, I'll move it forward a few weeks. Let's say hmm... January 15th. If anyone submits their entry before January 1st I'll consider adding 10sec to their total time.
Cool, I am not as worried now, But I do think I should stop designing and start building V1.