"Dead-Stick" Challenge!

Are you in?

• Total voters

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I've got a problem I can get really high in ten seconds like all my planes go out of range by then. I don't really want to get crossfire just for this competition. Are there any receivers that get better range than others?? That aren't really expensive?? I don't want to mod my remote in any way. I started building my rocket jet. I don't think I'm gonna make the deadline though. :(
I use full range receivers on most of my airplanes and have yet to lose signal on them. If it's any help, I use both tactic and spektrum transmitters. For the receivers I use antennaless receivers for the spektrum and a full range receiver for the tactic.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Just got finished building and test gliding my aircraft. It's a fiberglass skinned balsa fuselage with a balsa tail and wing. The power system is classified as of now. Here's some pics.
IMG_20201224_235422932.jpg
IMG_20201225_000030978.jpg
IMG_20201225_000015198.jpg IMG_20201224_235952982.jpg

Piotrsko

Master member
A Little concern about the rubber band servo and it's routing over the other servo, but it ain't my plane. Does tell me something is pretty robust going to go on somewhere.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Lots of detail improving the aerodynamics but the wing mount does look a bit xxxx in comparison.
I guess it has no motor, just a hi start?
Yeah the wing mount was a total after thought. I wanted to make a bolt on wing but forgot to make the nessesary mounting arrangements to do so. As for the propulsion, there is a motor, but I don't want to give away how I'm using it yet.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
Yeah the wing mount was a total after thought. I wanted to make a bolt on wing but forgot to make the nessesary mounting arrangements to do so. As for the propulsion, there is a motor, but I don't want to give away how I'm using it yet.
If its not a bungee, then its a winch!

Piotrsko

Master member
The servos are at different depths so the rubber band clears the servo by 3/16.
Cool, didn't show in the picture. So the hook operates backwards on your release, in otherwords, you have 2 supports. Hmmm heavy or strong attachments...... winch wouldn't need all that along with the possibility of stuck release, so I'm staying with pod of some sort.

Piotrsko

Master member
mastermalpass
That is certainly an impressive climb rate but the journey back down, not so much.
I think you will need a better compromise between the 'up' and the 'down'. ;)
Ahh the eternal juggle: fast & maneuverable or low sink

Well for me it's off to rescue grandma from the wolf...... literally.

quorneng

Master member
I have succumbed to the challenge.
19May18.JPG

With a tail extension so the wing span is exactly 115% of the fuselage length, to the mm. ;)
TailExtn.JPG

And a break in the stormy & cold weather.
Bear in mind I hadn't flown for nearly 2 months and not exact timing (no stop watch) but best as I can tell
Full power from 15:35:05.
Off at 15:35:15.
Landed at 15:37:24.
A glide time of 2:09.
I did a couple more runs but the cold got to the head cam LiPo as well as my fingers!
Near 3 minutes looks possible with a full power vertical hand launch. Never done that!

Last edited: