"Dead-Stick" Challenge!

Are you in?

• Total voters

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
this is interesting. you have to make a trade between the power climb ability vs the ability to soar. one takes strength and mass power, the other light weight and big fragile wings.

i like it. i'm in.

me :cool:

Yeah but you gotta remove the slope from the equation. And - don't most of our planes have a WS greater than the length? 1:1 sounds pretty tight to me.

Tench745

Master member
  1. The wingspan of your airplane can not exceed the length of the fuselage of your airplane
I do not plan on participating, but I think it's important to point out that nearly all airplanes which are not race planes have a longer wingspan than fuselage. Even the Mini scout has a 23" wingspan and is only about 19" long.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I do not plan on participating, but I think it's important to point out that nearly all airplanes which are not race planes have a longer wingspan than fuselage. Even the Mini scout has a 23" wingspan and is only about 19" long.
That's the twist, there is no limit on the cord tho. We decided that building a glider with a long wingspan and thermalling would be too easy so I added that rule.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
just did a little math and figured that your right, it might be a little small, so I slightly changed the ws rule. This is the last change I will make to the rules.

Tench745

Master member
just did a little math and figured that your right, it might be a little small, so I slightly changed the ws rule. This is the last change I will make to the rules.
Better, but that means of the 10 aircraft in my hangar, only 2 would be flyable in your competition based on this rule alone. Those two are a fantasy 20's racer and the Mini Scout.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Better, but that means of the 10 aircraft in my hangar, only 2 would be flyable in your competition based on this rule alone. Those two are a fantasy 20's racer and the Mini Scout.
Or you could build one for the challenge. I was hoping for this challenge to challenge the skills of the pilot and their building skills too. So far it's been challenging mine!

quorneng

Master member
I would love to enter and my own design/build plane meets the length to span criteria but in a 10 second climb it would exceed the UK model plane height limit of 400' agl by more than twice! :oops:
I will however follow the results with interest.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I would love to enter and my own design/build plane meets the length to span criteria but in a 10 second climb it would exceed the UK model plane height limit of 400' agl by more than twice! :oops:
I will however follow the results with interest.
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure there will be lots of interesting designs to look at tho.