"Dead-Stick" Challenge!

Are you in?

• Total voters

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The Dead Stick Landing Challenge!
The dead stick landing challenge is an awesome challenge that my club and I really enjoy. The goal of this challenge is to stay in the air the longest without the motor on (hence the name dead stick). The challenge starts like this, the contestants line up with their airplanes and when the signal is given they through or take off their airplanes and have ten seconds to gain as much altitude as they can. Once the ten seconds have run out they must turn their motors off and try to stay in the air the longest. The last one down wins! As you can already tell, winning this challenge has as much to do with the airplane as it has to do with the skill of the pilot. This means you have to chose/build an airplane that glides well and learn its characteristics.
Rules(Up to Date)!
One good thing about this game is that there are next to no rules or limitations on what you can do! The only rules are...
  1. You can only run the motor for the first ten seconds of your time.
  2. The time starts when the plane leaves the ground or your hand, and ends when it touches the ground.
  3. Once you turn off the motor you can't turn it back on.
  4. Longest flight time wins.
  5. The airplane that is used must have a motor/engine.
  6. The wingspan of your airplane can not exceed 115% of the length of the fuselage of your airplane.
  7. The flight must be done on relatively flat land (so no steep slopes or cliffs).
  8. Have fun!
If we get enough contestants I'll consider getting a prize for the winner, and entries should be a video of your flight (with a stop watch if you can) and are due by Jan 1. Feel free to build an airplane specific to this challenge. Finally if you find any loopholes or explodes in my rules feel free to use them and have fun!
So what if I do this with a flying wing... I mean I guess it's wingspan is an irrational percent of the fuselages length of 0cm ;) I may try this with one of my more under powered planes, for the fun of it

For Those of you who want to do this without the risk of, you know, a plane RF has this as a challenge to, and it's pretty fun

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
So what if I do this with a flying wing... I mean I guess it's wingspan is an irrational percent of the fuselages length of 0cm ;) I may try this with one of my more under powered planes, for the fun of it

For Those of you who want to do this without the risk of, you know, a plane RF has this as a challenge to, and it's pretty fun
If your talking about the rx losing signal I don't think you'll have a problem with that unless, your using a Saturn V rocket (witch I wouldn't put it past any of you here) or a micro receiver.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
If your talking about the rx losing signal I don't think you'll have a problem with that unless, your using a Saturn V rocket (witch I wouldn't put it past any of you here) or a micro receiver.
I was talking about those who were less confident in their flying ability to land after they cut the throttle, sorry, forgot to make it clear 😅

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I was talking about those who were less confident in their flying ability to land after they cut the throttle, sorry, forgot to make it clear 😅
Ohh, yep definitely misread that. Anyways, for those pilots this might be a great learning experience. We've all been flying and lost track of time then had the bec kick in and then had to land dead stick. This might give those pilots the skills they need to land their plane safely and not to panic and freeze up hence, crashing their plane.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I think im in not sure if I will have my electronics by jan but I intend to drop my motor and large battery by a parachute once up in the air so it has a better gliding abilities... cg may be a problem

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
If your in need of foam board amazon has some good options. The pack of ten sheets I got built fairly well and is what my airplane is made of as well as my Racer and Mig.

oh, I have more foam board than I can count. while everyone was hording TP, i was hording foam. :LOL:

i need balsa, which can be difficult to get your hands on around here. especially the size and thickness i need.

my plane will be a mix of balsa, 3D printed PLA, and Carbon fiber.

laters,

me :cool:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
anyone ever feel like they have too much stuff on their table? :unsure:

20201209_194120.jpg

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

laters,

me :cool:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Yes I have. And the floor too. That is how some of my airplanes get destroyed, I step on them. Gotta watch out for those razor blades laying everywhere too. I haven’t been able to find my x acto knife all week, so I just use the blades. :LOL::LOL:
I SUGGEST A RAISABLE TABLE... PUT ALL THE MESS ON IT AND WHOOM IT'S GONE OUTA SIGHT..... WILL POST A VIDEO LATER TODAY OF MY HOMEMADE ONE