Solved Designing My De Haviland Mosquito

CatholicFlyer

how do I make the weird wings of the mosquito? I went to this triangle creator website and it looks like a mosquito wing is some what of an Acute Triangle with the flat end right corner at 68 degrees, left corner at 78 degrees and then to make the triangle it is at a 34 degree angle the point is. Interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-06 Triangles - Equilateral, Isosceles and Scalene.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-06 Triangles - Equilateral, Isosceles and Scalene.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Do you mean the plan view of the wing (looking from the top down onto the wing)?

One way of looking at this is to look at the wing plan view on a rectangle and just take measurements of where the key points are. For the 40 inch span Mosquito wing this looks like the following:

Wing Measurements.jpg

You can round up some of the measurements to make this easier to measure or draw out.

This is a lot easier to think about and do using computer aided design / drawing programs like Sketchup or Inkscape (both of which are free).

DamoRC

CatholicFlyer

Do you mean the plan view of the wing (looking from the top down onto the wing)?

One way of looking at this is to look at the wing plan view on a rectangle and just take measurements of where the key points are. For the 40 inch span Mosquito wing this looks like the following:

View attachment 114068

You can round up some of the measurements to make this easier to measure or draw out.

This is a lot easier to think about and do using computer aided design / drawing programs like Sketchup or Inkscape (both of which are free).

DamoRC
awesome, got it downloading now the inkscape.

CatholicFlyer

View attachment 114068

DamoRC

I was mentioning the triangle shape. but this helps too.

CatholicFlyer

I was thinking, first step for the build is the wings to make sure I have the 40 inches and then will split it in half, so I can do the 20 inches on both sides and work on that part and do the engines, then begin to build the fuselage.

Chuppster

I was thinking, first step for the build is the wings to make sure I have the 40 inches and then will split it in half, so I can do the 20 inches on both sides and work on that part and do the engines, then begin to build the fuselage.

You may find it much easier to design the Mosquito if you find plans for another plane that is similar and base your designs off those. For the wing you may find the MiG3 has a similar shape to what you are thinking of. The sweep angle on the leading edge is a bit more on the MiG but it can provide inspiration. You could adapt the nacelles from the Sea Duck (shorten them to make them no longer be full tail booms) to use on the Mosquito. As for the fuselage, it depends on how much detail you wish to put into it. Do you require a rounded fuse? Semi-rounded (box with turtle deck)? Will a square fuse work for the first iteration? One option is to do like the Edge, where you have a "T-Frame" (or a "t frame" would work) that you wrap a skin around. This is difficult to do without 3d modeling, though.

To answer your question about removing the paper, I believe that is done before gluing.

CatholicFlyer

You may find it much easier to design the Mosquito if you find plans for another plane that is similar and base your designs off those. For the wing you may find the MiG3 has a similar shape to what you are thinking of. The sweep angle on the leading edge is a bit more on the MiG but it can provide inspiration. You could adapt the nacelles from the Sea Duck (shorten them to make them no longer be full tail booms) to use on the Mosquito. As for the fuselage, it depends on how much detail you wish to put into it. Do you require a rounded fuse? Semi-rounded (box with turtle deck)? Will a square fuse work for the first iteration? One option is to do like the Edge, where you have a "T-Frame" (or a "t frame" would work) that you wrap a skin around. This is difficult to do without 3d modeling, though.

To answer your question about removing the paper, I believe that is done before gluing.
thanks.

CatholicFlyer

I was thinking the rounded fuse like a tube and then cone front, which I was thinking on putting some sort of hinge to get to the batteries.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@Chuppster got to the plans, they say they work with the larger power pack B, what is that and where is it?

Power Pack B Note that it is not larger than the C-pack

Agree with @Chuppster , the mig may be a good place to start.

On the wing rather than build a 40 inch wing, split it, and attach to either side (which would end up being about 43 inches wingspan), you will be better off building two 20 inch halves, join them, and insert them through the fuselage - this is typically what we do in the FT style and most importantly, it allows for the construction of a strong wing.

DamoRC

Chuppster

how to make a cone type thingy that looks like the nose in the photo? @Chuppster
There are a lot of ways to do that. You could do a profile like the FT Vector, where you can preserve the profile from the side. Or you could mold it out of solid foam. Or you could 3d model it and unwrap it (I'm not sure how to do this, but it's what @Mid7night and many others do). The Ft Sea Duck may provide some inspiration too.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
how to make a cone type thingy that looks like the nose in the photo? @Chuppster

As @Chuppster said there are a number of ways to attempt this for the nose. I have tried both the 3D modelling and unfolding and the shaping from a "solid" block of foam.

This post in the Tigercat build shows how I went about carving the nose from multiple layers of foamboard that were glued up into a block.

The first couple of pics in this post show the 3D model and unfold approach (then refold and glue once cut out of foamboard) on the Canuck.

In my experience, carving the nose from a solid block of foam gives the best results and is a little easier. I used laminated foamboard strips to build up the block but you could just get some thicker (1" to 2") foam insulation from Home Depot instead.

DamoRC

CatholicFlyer

@DamoRC @Chuppster the C-5 Galaxy nose hatch idea on how to open the nose for the mosquito to get the batteries in and out.

since I'm working with only six channels, no bombbay door, so I could rig a servo to open and close the hatch? that way I won't follow in Bixler's footsteps in loosing hatches. I will study them both, if I can make something that looks alright toward's the mosquito shape, then it will be ok.

Chuppster

@DamoRC @Chuppster the C-5 Galaxy nose hatch idea on how to open the nose for the mosquito to get the batteries in and out.

since I'm working with only six channels, no bombbay door, so I could rig a servo to open and close the hatch? that way I won't follow in Bixler's footsteps in loosing hatches. I will study them both, if I can make something that looks alright toward's the mosquito shape, then it will be ok.
You COULD put a servo on the hatch, but it would be much easier to just manually open and close it. It may be even easier to make it slide on and friction fit, like the FT Vector, FT X-29, or FT Goblin.

CatholicFlyer

You COULD put a servo on the hatch, but it would be much easier to just manually open and close it. It may be even easier to make it slide on and friction fit, like the FT Vector, FT X-29, or FT Goblin.

friction fit sounds good, just don't want it to open when flying.