• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help! Did I just waste $50 on an Aura?

Howdy all,

Full disclosure- I'm a total n00b to RC aircraft (but not cars, but they mostly stay on the ground. Mostly) and am trying to figure this whole thing out.

So I went and picked up an Aura 5 Lite to put in an FT P-47 for my son and now that the build is going along nicely, I'm worried that this may have been a huge mistake. Now, I get that this is a technical hobby, but I'm having a brutal time understanding what is actually needed, what is compatible and how you find out. So let me lay it out like this... I have:

Aura 5 Lite
Fly Sky FS-T6 Transmitter
FS R6B 6 channel receiver
Power Pack C

My questions are, is the Aura going to play with this transmitter and Receiver setup and am I missing anything extra?

Thanks everyone and happy flying this weekend!

leaded50

The Aura 5 is a gyro stabilizer system, and is not trouble to use with the other parts you gave up. The transmitter and reciver do the contct with plane and you. Aura is a stabilizer part between the reciver and sevos/motor, to give that a automatic control/adjusting to help you in flying.
Power pack have the motor, electronic motorcontrol (ESC) prop, servos to use, eg.

You should be fine with that parts. :)

You should be fine with that parts. :)

Thank you, Leaded50! That's a relief to hear. I'm not in the position to buy all new gear. Am I missing any electronics to make the Aura 5 work? Does it need a special receiver to work? Do I need to add power for the Aura?

Timmy

Personally I don't recommend learning to fly with auto level and all that stuff on because the computer does most of the work. For the fist flight you might want it on but it doesn't really help you learn.

LitterBug

Troll Spammer
I'm not very familiar with FlySky gear, but what you need is a receiver with serial protocol (single 3 wire cable) to work with the Aura 5 lite. (ibus/sbus/ppm) It looks like the receiver you have is PWM with individual outputs for each channel. Hopefully someone that knows more about Fly Sky can help with the right RX to use. If not, this looks to be a good overview of options: https://oscarliang.com/flysky-tx-rx-buyers-guide/

I am playing with the Aura on one of my new race wing builds. I have been flying FPV for quite a few years. Started with multirotors which won't fly without stabilization, then moved to wings without any flight controller. Flying wings FPV, especially small light ones, can be nauseating because they get bumped around by the smallest breeze. Adding stabilization makes a big difference in smoothing out those bumps. Auto-launch, and self leveling can be nice to have too. The "Race" wing I'm putting my Aura in is notorious for being difficult to launch. Having simple stabilization is a real bonus for this build. If you do find that it wasn't something you wanted, drop me a line and I will buy it from you.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Guys I’m a newbie to this , 11yo and need some help. I can get the Aura 5 to bind to my Spectrum AR410 and my AR6610T (RX bind led goes from flash to solid ) and my dx-6e tx says it’s bound. BBBUUUTT...... the Aura 5 led light say its still searching for RX. Any ideas? Thanks

LitterBug

Troll Spammer
Guys I’m a newbie to this , 11yo and need some help. I can get the Aura 5 to bind to my Spectrum AR410 and my AR6610T (RX bind led goes from flash to solid ) and my dx-6e tx says it’s bound. BBBUUUTT...... the Aura 5 led light say its still searching for RX. Any ideas? Thanks
The AR410 is a 4 channel PWM reciever and will not work with the Aura. You need a serial RX like one of these: https://www.buddyrc.com/collections.../lemon-rx-dsmx-compatible-diversity-satellite

Cheeers,
LitterBug

PlaY80

Howdy all,

Full disclosure- I'm a total n00b to RC aircraft (but not cars, but they mostly stay on the ground. Mostly) and am trying to figure this whole thing out.

So I went and picked up an Aura 5 Lite to put in an FT P-47 for my son and now that the build is going along nicely, I'm worried that this may have been a huge mistake. Now, I get that this is a technical hobby, but I'm having a brutal time understanding what is actually needed, what is compatible and how you find out. So let me lay it out like this... I have:

Aura 5 Lite
Power Pack C

My questions are, is the Aura going to play with this transmitter and Receiver setup and am I missing anything extra?

Hi, if aura 5 works only with sbus you will need new receiver (afhd not afhd2a) with sbus. Even if some ppl don't like the stabilization for new ppl trying to learn to fly, i think it's OK. If you trash your first builds you will leave the hobby! Make it simple for the first times then go bad. Good luck with it!

Howdy all,

Aura 5 Lite
Power Pack C

As a rule of thumb, the best airplane platform to start on is a 3 channel park flyer with wings above the fuselage. The Aura 5 lite
would make the FT P-47 manageable. I was very surprised that the nano goblin didn't require me to adjust the pids or throws
in the configuration settings for the Aura 5. My Ranger 1600 is a big airplane so I knew I would need to adjust the throws to make it
fly perfectly.

The Aura 5 is not a waste. I have the stabilizer in a small Strix Nano Goblin and a large Volantex Ranger 1600. Here's a video that demonstrates how well the stabilizer works. My club's airfield is located near the ocean. We get strong thermals and gusts. The Ranger 1600 flew as if on rails.

Here's the small ultra light Strix Nano Goblin with the Aura 5 light installed. Ordinarily a small airplane like this will be tossed around
by the 25mph wing gusts and thermals at my club's field, but with the Aura 5 lite the airplane is ultra stable

I think the stabilizer is awesome. Usually to get flight this stable you need to adjust the PIDS and Rates multiple times until it's perfect.
The only think I needed to do for my sailplane is adjust the throws. Airplanes with a long fuselage requires less of a throw to the stabilizer.

The main thing is just have fun out there. My sons are all grown now but they still come with me now and then.