DRAFT Flite Fest 2018 WWII Community Design & Build Off Discussion

coolrcflyer

That would be super cool!! :applause: Historically accurate and everything!

But also absolutely not required and just a suggestion on my part - I just really want to see these take off together and land separately with dual pilots at some point! :D

One advantage to staying with the Ki-83 is it was an experimental design, where the GM4 was the main bomber heavily deployed by the Japanese in the Pacific. Both planes would be very cool to have designed and modeled, but one would score a higher in our design challenge competition.

But don't let that be the only reason you choose between them - this is just a silly little contest after all. Do what grabs your interest and you'll still be excited to work on in a few months when the test flights get tough :)

Well, then i'll do the Ki-83 instead then.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Well, then i'll do the Ki-83 instead then.

Just think of it like if the Ki-83 did come to the front, they probably would have hooked up the guided munitions to it - even if the lifting capacity might be getting a little sketchy at that point :)

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Some neat options there! I'm especially drawn to the mid-century space age kind of look in the Curtiss-Wright XP-71
Its definitely an awesome looking plane! But those coaxial contra-rotating 4 blades are going to be the difficult part. If I can find an affordable mechanism to do that, I may consider it. The contra-rotating 4 blades from the new dynam B-26 would work if I could find a gearbox. If not, I think I'll go B-36. It would be a huge project, but a lot of fun.

Sir Fly

So, I'm not going to try and manipulate things too much, but I will throw an idea out here. ;)

Someone who I know is reading this thread has some good computer skills, is interested in this design, and can probably whip up a draft plan pretty quickly. Then someone else (you perhaps) could act as primary beta builder and performance tester feeding info back to the CAD man. Then we (the community) all get to learn from your collaboration, enjoy watching the progress, and get to build our own cool pancakes off a proven set of plans in the future.

Thoughts? Are there other team-up methods that people can think of that would seem to work well?

You know that sounds like a wonderdful idea. I've always wanted to be a beta builder, and to be honest, that works even better with my skill set; I know for sure that I can follow directions! ;)

Who was it that you had in mind? I can PM them and we can go from there! Pancakes for everyone!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Someone who I know is reading this thread has some good computer skills, is interested in this design, and can probably whip up a draft plan pretty quickly. Then someone else (you perhaps) could act as primary beta builder and performance tester feeding info back to the CAD man. Then we (the community) all get to learn from your collaboration, enjoy watching the progress, and get to build our own cool pancakes off a proven set of plans in the future.

Thoughts? Are there other team-up methods that people can think of that would seem to work well?

Something like this would be necessary for me to do this. I can build it and it fly it, but I don't know design.

That would be super cool!! :applause: Historically accurate and everything!

But also absolutely not required and just a suggestion on my part - I just really want to see these take off together and land separately with dual pilots at some point! :D

One advantage to staying with the Ki-83 is it was an experimental design, where the GM4 was the main bomber heavily deployed by the Japanese in the Pacific. Both planes would be very cool to have designed and modeled, but one would score a higher in our design challenge competition.

But don't let that be the only reason you choose between them - this is just a silly little contest after all. Do what grabs your interest and you'll still be excited to work on in a few months when the test flights get tough :)

The Model 22 was to be carried by this bad boy (Something I might like as I now know that I like twin engine bombers). It's size actually gets a lot closer to the KI-83. Also, the Model 53 had a longer "Outer Wing" and was designed to be towed. Another possibility.

Model 22 @ 1/10 scale comes to 16.2" wingspan with a length of 27.1" I'm thinking a 30 mm EDF.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Its definitely an awesome looking plane! But those coaxial contra-rotating 4 blades are going to be the difficult part. If I can find an affordable mechanism to do that, I may consider it. The contra-rotating 4 blades from the new dynam B-26 would work if I could find a gearbox. If not, I think I'll go B-36. It would be a huge project, but a lot of fun.

I can tell you from experience, contra setups are neither cheap or easy. Really, your best bet is if you have a friend who is a machinist and will not charge you, then work with him to custom make you some parts. Ask how I know :rolleyes:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I can tell you from experience, contra setups are neither cheap or easy. Really, your best bet is if you have a friend who is a machinist and will not charge you, then work with him to custom make you some parts. Ask how I know :rolleyes:
Thanks for the input man, was kind of hoping you might answer! I'll stay with the big B-36 then, and stay away from the contra rotating setups. What you have done with the Bugatti is awesome, but the resources are a bit out of my reach at the moment.

Also, if anyone local is interested in teaming up, or helping with CAD, please let me know. Planning on a ~1/20 scale version. 12 foot wingspan, 6 11" 3 blade props, and edf pods. Fowler Flaps, retractable turrets, retracts, and bomb bays all operational if possible. The idea is that it would be operated from multiple people, including an FPV bombardier.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for the input man, was kind of hoping you might answer! I'll stay with the big B-36 then, and stay away from the contra rotating setups. What you have done with the Bugatti is awesome, but the resources are a bit out of my reach at the moment.

Also, if anyone local is interested in teaming up, or helping with CAD, please let me know. Planning on a ~1/20 scale version. 12 foot wingspan, 6 11" 3 blade props, and edf pods. Fowler Flaps, retractable turrets, retracts, and bomb bays all operational if possible. The idea is that it would be operated from multiple people, including an FPV bombardier.

Excellent!! I'm thinking in the same direction, a little smaller perhaps, but definitely the same direction :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
You guys do realize that you do not have to start yet, right? LOL. Seriously, though. I love the enthusiasm.

Sir Fly

I was looking around myself and the Supermarine Spiteful is a very simple plane to build but was built to have incredible performance. Finished during the second world war to succeed the Spitfire XIV, but became obsolete with the development of jet propelled aircraft. A carrier version was developed, but also became obsolete with the release of the de Havilland Sea Vampire. I don't think I'll take this one, but someone else is more than welcome to check it out! Also, check out the other British experimental aircraft. They had some interesting (but plausible) aircraft, including a "jeep rotocopter!" :confused:
Supermarine_Spiteful_FXIV_side_view_c1945.jpg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spiteful

I was looking around myself and the Supermarine Spiteful is a very simple plane to build but was built to have incredible performance. Finished during the second world war to succeed the Spitfire XIV, but became obsolete with the development of jet propelled aircraft. A carrier version was developed, but also became obsolete with the release of the de Havilland Sea Vampire. I don't think I'll take this one, but someone else is more than welcome to check it out! Also, check out the other British experimental aircraft. They had some interesting (but plausible) aircraft, including a "jeep rotocopter!" :confused:
View attachment 91315
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Spiteful

Already nabbed this one for myself sorry!

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-Spiteful-MK-XIV-quot-A-Spitfire-Too-Far-quot

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You guys do realize that you do not have to start yet, right? LOL. Seriously, though. I love the enthusiasm.

Shhhh - with all this energy, they'll be done by next weekend and ready to start another one! :p

But I know the feeling - I haven't started my build thread yet, but I have several hours of research in, a team mate recruited, and a multi-phase project plan worked out ready to divvy up the tasks once we get on a call to sort it all out. This is a hazard you have to be ready for when you team up with a professional software project manager. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I'm starting my build thread now too. No time like the present to get started on the planning and design, right? :)

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?35967-FTFC-18-WWII-Focke-Wulf-FW-42

Comments and feedback on the challenge guidelines and rules have slowed down a lot, so I think they might be close to final shape.

I'll give it a few more days, but if no new concerns are raised soon I'll go ahead and get the official challenge thread with the final rules going a little bit ahead of schedule. Since so many seem ready to get rockin' on this, I'd hate to be slowing things down! :)

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I posted that in my personnal build thread but im gonna put that here too

I suggest everyone joins the Flite Test discord server, I will ask the guy to add a challenge section this way we can talk there without having to spam posts on the forum https://discord.gg/aKrdx38

Will help with small stuff

remzak

I'm not a scale builder but I'm looking for a new big project so I figure I'll give this one a go:

I've always loved the X1 Bell but in many ways, its predecessor is more interesting, and in this case, it satisfies the requirements of this challenge. Sadly the project was cancelled and a prototype was never completed, long story short the United States just stole all the research they Brits had done and built the X1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52

Not sure what scale I'll be going at yet, but itll be an interesting project where I am working with very limited information.

Edit: How experimental is it? LOL look at the picture there's barely any info, Also I love how wikipedia has pictures of vickers rockets it says are prototypes of the M.52

Attachments

• 400px-Miles_M.52_3-view.svg.png
    400px-Miles_M.52_3-view.svg.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 34
  • tumblr_o5swe5nnBK1u7ngfoo2_1280.gif
    tumblr_o5swe5nnBK1u7ngfoo2_1280.gif
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: