DRAFT Flite Fest 2018 WWII Community Design & Build Off Discussion

Waffleman

Count me in!

Well, this should be fun. I've modified a few designs, but I've never done one from the ground up before.
My choice of aircraft is probably the most tail heavy thing imaginable: the Grumman XP-50 Skyrocket!
It certainly counts, only one was built as a prototype... and it crashed. Great track record.
Right now I'm going for a mini sized build at 1/20th scale or a 25" wingspan. It could easily fly on dual A or F packs, but I'll be using some 2206/2500kv motors I have sitting around that are stronger than either of those. Why? Because I can.
I might scale it up to a 1/10th build later on if this one goes well, but I make no guarantees.

Attachments

• grumman_xp-50.gif
    grumman_xp-50.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Grumman_XP-50.jpg
    Grumman_XP-50.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 78
  • shot 2017.07.22 13.53.38.jpg
    shot 2017.07.22 13.53.38.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 1

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
The J&H Aerospace entry

I was half tempted to jump with with the Spruce Goose, but I've already got two of those. Something else should probably be tried...

FAI-F1D
Dornier 335Z/635
Build Thread

do635.jpg

Fidget

Fidget
Consolidated Vultee XP-81
Build thread

I found a $13 book on the plane by Steve Ginter that is very helpful. He has a whole series, so I'd encourage others to look them up when you do your research. Lots of photos, diagrams and cut-away cartoons that really explain how the thing was supposed to work.

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Would the Heinkel He-178 be legal? It was more of a jet testbed but it never served in combat and was first flown in late 1939

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Would the Heinkel He-178 be legal? It was more of a jet testbed but it never served in combat and was first flown in late 1939

You betcha - WW2 started in Europe in 1939 - and a couple years earlier in the pacific w/ China & Japan

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst I have seen some really exciting projects/aircraft selected for builds under the draft competition I am still waiting for someone to select the plane I would like to have plans for.

The Hs132 Divebomber.

hs132.gif

Whilst I cannot attend the FF I would love to build one!

Have fun!

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Whilst I have seen some really exciting projects/aircraft selected for builds under the draft competition I am still waiting for someone to select the plane I would like to have plans for.

The Hs132 Divebomber.

Whilst I cannot attend the FF I would love to build one!

Have fun!

That looks really neat! I know you've got a lot of projects on your plate, but I think you could squeeze in a quick design session or two :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Funny you should say that! I spent the afternoon here selecting an EDF unit, motor, ESC, and retracts as well as devising a method of getting as close to the smooth curves for the fuselage as is currently possible given the tooling I have access to.

Exact dimensions are still flexible at this time but the idea has taken root, DAMN IT!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Nice, wonder how you will balance that. On guy on the FT discord is making the XP-50 which also has the wing and motor very far forward and it apparently balanced pretty well with a power pack A equivalent I think.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Funny you should say that! I spent the afternoon here selecting an EDF unit, motor, ESC, and retracts as well as devising a method of getting as close to the smooth curves for the fuselage as is currently possible given the tooling I have access to.

Exact dimensions are still flexible at this time but the idea has taken root, DAMN IT!

:applause: Yes! Got another one! :applause:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Me and JimCR120 are going to be working together on a Grumman XF5F

Excellent!! And glad to see you snagged Jim into the build too!

For anyone else working in a team environment, Psyborg and I are having pretty good luck with a free online project site http://asana.com - it at least helps me (a project management geek) with keeping thoughts in order on tasks, timeline, sketches, and notes - and I'll ask Psyborg to chime in with his thoughts, but I think it's been helpful.

Periodic progress and plan updates to the build thread are still key for the community fun, but this tool fills a slightly different communication need.

Fidget

Funny you should say that! I spent the afternoon here selecting an EDF unit, motor, ESC, and retracts ...

Any advice on choosing retracts? Or where to get them? I've never done retracts before, and on HobbyKing and Banggood I'm not coming up with much. Either they are for suggested models and don't give many details, or they are the retract without wheels or suggested wheels.
Thanks!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I will try to design retracts to be 3d printed for my plane, they won't be done too soon but I can send you the files once they are done. Hope you aren't in a hurry tho.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Any advice on choosing retracts? Or where to get them? I've never done retracts before, and on HobbyKing and Banggood I'm not coming up with much. Either they are for suggested models and don't give many details, or they are the retract without wheels or suggested wheels.
Thanks!

I'd look for a model of similar size and weight and see if you can find a set of gear for it. This set from hobbyking is a similar tricycle setup that you might run in a habu. They may be overkill for your model but there are other similar options

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...tracts-with-oleo-legs-tricycle-habu-type.html