Experimental EDF Flying Boat Sailplane

leaded50

Legendary member
Seaplane! (or sail-seaplane)

Where should i put motor/EDF?
EDF between the tailfins?
EDF in fuselage? (remember, when laying still on water it will be water at least up to the tailfins.
EDF in nacelle placed over wing?
Pusher prop, and change the rear to get boyance for prop clearance?
Pusher between tailfins?
Frontal directed prop in nacelle between, or in front of tailfins?
Front prop?

Its not all times designs even if can be pretty, is easy to get everything in place.... im "crazy" enough to build it like this, but power?

11113.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
most sea planes that do not sit on pontoons have their power plant(s) above the wing.
"crap here" is that i wanted a sleek profile on end too..and if put between tailfins, also motor / or EDF weight get CG further back. That can be altered with put wing further back, but then also need change frontpart, where its glide on the water...(needs be longer ) and that alter it, to be more "bulbious" at front...

The front fuselage would be split in bottom, curbed out, to make surfaces for stability on water, with tunnel between.

leaded50

Legendary member
By an amazing coincidence, one minute before seeing this thread I discovered this beauty. Looks right up your street?

Saunders Roe SR.A.
I have 3D drawings for it. Too bad its exhaustports are tiny, vs rest of fuselage, it will give faulty propotions when need change for EDF´s

The EDF over the wing like that does look natural. I'm surprised you're able to nest it that deep & smoothly into the fuselage/wing. It would even look ok if it rested higher, but sinking it in that way sure does look smooth. This plane is really interesting. Sitting still in the water it will tilt down on the tail. It looks like takeoffs will be a big part of the fun. (y)

L Edge

Master member
Two distinct problems you will have is:

1) You have to protect the EDF(s) clear of any water spray generated by waves or the planes movement. Best on top.
2) Enough power to handle slow movement through water, next, to get it on step and increase speed, and then to break clear of the water. Proper positioning and the proper step in the fuse have to be in the design.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The front view makes it look like there are sharp edges hanging down that could cause some adverse yaw if one side was lower than the other on takeoff and landing.....

leaded50

Legendary member
Two distinct problems you will have is:

1) You have to protect the EDF(s) clear of any water spray generated by waves or the planes movement. Best on top.
2) Enough power to handle slow movement through water, next, to get it on step and increase speed, and then to break clear of the water. Proper positioning and the proper step in the fuse have to be in the design.

1. if put on top, over wing, thwn it shouldnt be any problem, with even the hull design making spraydeflection from it.
2. yep, and hopefully the 50mm can be enough, with the wide wingspan close to a sailplane.
The step is in mind,and i know where it should be vs CG for best function on a flying boat type.

leaded50

Legendary member
The front view makes it look like there are sharp edges hanging down that could cause some adverse yaw if one side was lower than the other on takeoff and landing.....

I can agree, but unsure if will be really problematic. In todays RC world, its in fact a few planes with a "X" style from front, who really function well. As my own X-plane in here, and the Proxy.
About waterlanding, it will be similar as if one pontoon is lower than the other

leaded50

Legendary member
at least it will be really futuristic design, never seen. :) If i can get it function well in flying too, it will be nice.

I like your design and your thinking process. The top mount EDF is completely clear of spray, the knife-edge "sponsons" are a thrilling design. Far enough forward and you should be fine. They're close enough to center to not give you any problems I think. It might be a balancing act taking off, I don't know but I can't wait to find out. (y) This is really exciting.

Right... I see. Can you get a step in the fuse itself? Do you have that planned? It's hard to tell in your model photo. Maybe it could fit between the lower two parts of the X, where they're blending into the fuse...

leaded50

Legendary member
Right... I see. Can you get a step in the fuse itself? Do you have that planned? It's hard to tell in your model photo. Maybe it could fit between the lower two parts of the X, where they're blending into the fuse...
- not planned more step than it is, it shouldnt be needed. Perhaps i need make the frontpart a bit longer though, to let it get something more to "slide on" at water,

- not planned more step than it is, it shouldnt be needed. Perhaps i need make the frontpart a bit longer though, to let it get something more to "slide on" at water,
Ah, I think I see. And to make those front cutting edges more shallow, to cut the water better.