FF2017 Int. Racers: Folkerts Speed King SK-3 "Jupiter"

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Looks like we have a winner! Be sure to get your plans as perfect as possible at this point.

Thanks! Yeah, I need to incorporate the mods I made in the latest build, like cutouts for electronics in the top hatch. I really wanted to do retracts, because now the whole underside is totally empty, but I don't know if I have the time and energy right now. Maybe after updating/finalizing the basic plans, maybe I'll go back and do gear as a bonus/add-on.

I also need to do a better job of documenting the build process/instructions; I tend to just keep moving when I build, I forget to take pictures of the in-between steps. I don't really want to build another one, but a build video might be the simplest thing to do. We'll see...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
FYI: I just updated the first post with some revised (but still sorta 'beta1') PDF plans. I plan on writing up some instructions too, but wanted to post the PDF's first. Also attached below on this post.

EDIT: Updated with update

Attachments

• FT-SK3_PDF1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • FT-SK3_PDF2.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I'm mostly just pleased at how well she tracked once dialed in.

Yes. That is what I was asking about in the other thread. Does she handle as well as she seems to? Very nice result BTW. I was fearful of a beautiful death trap. :rolleyes:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Yes. That is what I was asking about in the other thread. Does she handle as well as she seems to? Very nice result BTW. I was fearful of a beautiful death trap. :rolleyes:

Yes, it does handle as well as it looks. Once I got everything trimmed, and dialed down the rates (mostly elevator), it flew prett much like any other really fast plane I've flown. Certainly not a beginner plane, but not too unruly by any stretch.

Some main keys are
1) Proper CG (further forward than you expect)
2) Proper sized tail (~18% larger than scale)
3) Functional rudder
4) VERY low rates (elevator especially) when at speed
5) A light touch on all controls

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Plans updated with part numbers and where the parts go, also a CG mark. :p

ZIP 1 includes pages 1-3
ZIP 2 includes pages 4-5

Site wouldn't let me upload the pages individually because one of them is more than 2MB.

Attachments

• FT-SK3_PDF1.zip
  • FT-SK3_PDF2.zip

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Nice job with the plans Mid7night. I've started making my templates and fabricating the pieces I can safely transport to the "assembly hanger." Identical power setup ordered.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
In prep for the Bixler Cup, which is more about endurance than speed (but still speed, a little), I did some testing on a smaller battery that conforms to the power limitations (15kWh max, I think). My math showed that I would have the best endurance on a 2S 2000mAh, and still have enough thrust to fly. The question is though, how much slower will I be? TEST IT!

Without knowing what the Pace Plane is (they haven't announced it for FFWest, as of this post), I can't know if I'm really too slow to stay in the race. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! :D

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
In prep for the Bixler Cup, which is more about endurance than speed (but still speed, a little), I did some testing on a smaller battery that conforms to the power limitations (15kWh max, I think). My math showed that I would have the best endurance on a 2S 2000mAh, and still have enough thrust to fly. The question is though, how much slower will I be? TEST IT!

Without knowing what the Pace Plane is (they haven't announced it for FFWest, as of this post), I can't know if I'm really too slow to stay in the race. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! :D

It looks like the Pace Plane will be Ripslinger. ( plane on the left. ) Probably flown at about half throttle. Sorry for the glare, It's the only picture of it I could find saved on my computer.

FT Planes.JPG

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Good to know. At half throttle (depending on the motor used) I might still have a chance to stay ahead! Only flying will tell! :cool: It'll be fun no matter what.

I'm already imagining standing on the flightline with Ripslinger bearing down on me, yelling "c'mon Rip, gimme a break!" :p >_<

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
The mention of the old FT Racer made me search through my vlog archives, because I built one years ago - I think it was the first FT design I ever built and flew - and wanted to remind myself how it flew. I really want to vlog more, but it's so hard some days to stay consistent! :D

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
It looks pretty good to me. I think you can be competitive all around. I will finish one up here at home, but sadly, the logistics are such that I don't believe I'll have one in CA to race. I have do have about 70% of the pieces cut out.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Good to know. At half throttle (depending on the motor used) I might still have a chance to stay ahead! Only flying will tell! :cool: It'll be fun no matter what.

I'm already imagining standing on the flightline with Ripslinger bearing down on me, yelling "c'mon Rip, gimme a break!" :p >_<

Oh, don't worry.... I will provide plenty of Smack along with Ripslinger. :D

Last edited:

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
It looks pretty good to me. I think you can be competitive all around. I will finish one up here at home, but sadly, the logistics are such that I don't believe I'll have one in CA to race. I have do have about 70% of the pieces cut out.

I would be willing to help you cut and assemble a plane in the build area ( providing space availability ) .

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I'll be onsite to help as well. I'll be camping and have my own table to work on if space becomes a problem. :)

That's very gracious and generous of you both. Thank you. And I might take y'all up on it. I could cut out a kit here and bring it with me. I will however, need to get this one built here in order to be a competent SK-3 pilot in advance. I'll be short on pit crew as well I'm afraid. My "crew" generally splits her time between her phone and reacting to the doppler effect.

We'll need to see how it shapes up. I pre-fabbed the B-25 to within 3-4 hours for slowpoke completion. That's the one I was most passionate about. Now that I think about, I might even be able to fit a wing and a fuse into a box for assembly onsite.