FTFC19- Gee Bee R3 designed by DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yeah, looks great! I think he was using gorilla glue.

Yep - gorilla glue. I use the original formulation because the one and only time I used the newer white stuff I didn't think it had the same strength. But that could have been a once off.

@jpot1 - which glue did you use for the Diamond?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
She Flew!

Sorry no vid.

Maidened her today because it looks like rain over the weekend. It was pretty windy this morning, 10-15mph, not ideal.

First flight was with the light power setup (all up 18oz). She flew fine. Seemed a little twitchy on the roll axis but it was hard to tell if that was just the wind because she was a bit skittish in the gusts.

Then I installed the heavier setup. The all up was 27oz. She flew much better in the wind with the extra weight and was smooth. On high elevator throws and hard down on the stick I detected occasional tip stall, rolling out of the climb but nothing too serious and it didn't drop a wing on a slow landing. She even knife-edges pretty well. Not sure how fast she was going, but not as fast as I expected. I need to test the setup to see if I am truly getting max power from the motor with the 9x9 prop.

All in all, very happy with how she did. Will colorized the plans and post them in the next couple of days.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Awesome! Congratulations on a successful maiden!
Woohoo! Congrats on a great looker (can’t comment on how it flies though :LOL: I’m sure it flies well though).

Thanks!

Checked the motor / prop combo on the thrust stand. 1400g of thrust at 10,300RPM with an estimated pitch speed of 88MPH. Pulling 40 Amps on 4S so around 550 Watts which is pretty much the max for the motor per the website (although the motor was not warm after mixed flying so maybe it could take a little more). Precision between duplicate runs was pretty good. Might see if I can get an 8 x 10 prop (I think @Mid7night used this for his SK at FF West last year).

P15 9x9 4S Results.jpg
P15 9x9 4S Electrical Results.jpg
P15 9x9 4S 2Runs.jpg

OliverW

Legendary member
Thanks!

Checked the motor / prop combo on the thrust stand. 1400g of thrust at 10,300RPM with an estimated pitch speed of 88MPH. Pulling 40 Amps on 4S so around 550 Watts which is pretty much the max for the motor per the website (although the motor was not warm after mixed flying so maybe it could take a little more). Precision between duplicate runs was pretty good. Might see if I can get an 8 x 10 prop (I think @Mid7night used this for his SK at FF West last year).

View attachment 120195
View attachment 120196
View attachment 120197
Looks beautiful! I can't wait to build one.