Flite Fest 2022 Community Challenge – WWI “Dawn Patrol”

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I’m just gonna state it here that I’m going to exclude myself from any competition or contest. As a “founder” or “originator” of the event I’d like to just be there for the funsies. So, my Tummelisa, Scout XL, and 1/4 scale Fokker D.VIII are all there just make friends.

I'm doing the same thing. With time constraints I will probably just have the big D.Va but she will just be there for "show and share". Maybe I'll precut a Scout XL and build it there but we'll see. My ideas are so often exceed my time-budget these days...

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I’m just gonna state it here that I’m going to exclude myself from any competition or contest. As a “founder” or “originator” of the event I’d like to just be there for the funsies. So, my Tummelisa, Scout XL, and 1/4 scale Fokker D.VIII are all there just make friends.

LOL I didn't even realize there WERE prizes! There are PRIZES?! I'm just there to fly and trash-tal...I mean have fun and encourage my friends! ;)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
could I join, but with a 1:20 scale? I am planning to build an airliner, the Handley Page hp.42, but it would still fit with the theme nicely. The thing is it ahs a giant wingspan of 40m, and I cant afford to make mine any larger than 2m in wingspan. It is credited as the largest biplane. there probably wont be any thread though, as I always forget to post stuff on threads. It will also be built mostly at flitetest.

Thanks,
Flyerinstyle

I'm gonna have to agree with Carl on the technicalities: It doesn't fit within the bounds of *this* particular "dawn patrol". Similarly the first one, "Gotha Gaggle" was limited to Baby Brits and Baby Barons, because we were going for a theme and certain spectacle. BUT these are just ONE microcosm of Flite Fest, and kinda an obscure one at that! :p You can be sure we ALL will be checking out your build-table if you do that build on-site! Please do! And we ALL will be there to watch her fly and root you on!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
could I join, but with a 1:20 scale? I am planning to build an airliner, the Handley Page hp.42, but it would still fit with the theme nicely. The thing is it ahs a giant wingspan of 40m, and I cant afford to make mine any larger than 2m in wingspan. It is credited as the largest biplane. there probably wont be any thread though, as I always forget to post stuff on threads. It will also be built mostly at flitetest.

Thanks,
Flyerinstyle
Great subject, and I look forward to seeing the build and the maiden. But, I have to agree with @wilmracer and @Mid7night that this model does not fit the theme/era for the Dawn Patrol event this year. Even if you don't get to fly in the Dawn Patrol, I bet there's a good chance that your H.P.42 gets the attention of the Flite Test cameras and makes the Flite Fest '22 highlight reel. :cool:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

I'm doing the same thing. With time constraints I will probably just have the big D.Va but she will just be there for "show and share". Maybe I'll precut a Scout XL and build it there but we'll see. My ideas are so often exceed my time-budget these days...

LOL I didn't even realize there WERE prizes! There are PRIZES?! I'm just there to fly and trash-tal...I mean have fun and encourage my friends! ;)

Same goes for me, I'm excluding myself from the eligibility for prizes/bragging rights. But, I do want to help judge the winner of the Best Scout XL. :cool:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I'm gonna have to agree with Carl on the technicalities: It doesn't fit within the bounds of *this* particular "dawn patrol". Similarly the first one, "Gotha Gaggle" was limited to Baby Brits and Baby Barons, because we were going for a theme and certain spectacle. BUT these are just ONE microcosm of Flite Fest, and kinda an obscure one at that! :p You can be sure we ALL will be checking out your build-table if you do that build on-site! Please do! And we ALL will be there to watch her fly and root you on!
Thanks for the encouragement. How do you all make wing supports and such strong beings for such a large scale?

Plotter4Plans

Build, Share, and FLY with us!

The Flite Test community has a long history of “organic” events that have started here on the forums, sometimes from just one member’s crazy idea, and then grown to culminate as an exciting event at the next Flite Fest. While there have been MANY more there are a few that stick out to me. Golden Era Pylon Racing, the Blue Angels Formation Flight, World Record flights, and of course the Gotha Gaggle.
There have been too many of these events to mention them all, but several of us have been mulling over something similar for Flite Fest 22 and would like to present, for your consideration (and hopefully participation) the following:

FT Community Dawn Patrol – A Tribute to WWI aircraft

Background: After many conversations regarding FF21 several of us came to the conclusion that we wanted to see more WWI aircraft. WWII warbirds, civilian aircraft, and modern warplanes abound at Flite Fest and we love them all but there is a certain nostalgic feeling you get from admiring some of the earliest fighting aircraft. Designers were willing to try almost anything and as a result the range of unique subjects is immense. We want to see them fly!
We hope you agree and will join in the fun.

Mission: Encourage the FT Community to expand their skills and take on a new challenge, specifically designing, building, and flying a WWI aircraft.
While we hope to see all of the participants and their aircraft at FF22 this challenge is open the EVERYONE, whether or not they can attend.

Specs: Models should be 1:6th scale (exceptions can be made) and should ideally be built using common FT materials and techniques. While providing plans to the community is encouraged it is not required for participation. Unless there are changes in policy for FF22 all models should be electric powered.

Event(s): We don’t have anything locked in yet and there has been no communication with the powers that be at Flite Test. For now this is 100% community sponsored and run. That being said I would like to see:
  • Afternoon/evening “hangout” where we can display the models together, share the history of each, perhaps share some harrowing combat stories, and generally talk shop with anyone interested in the aircraft. Hopefully we can get some good “Golden Hour” shots of the old birds together, and perhaps even have a few demo flights for pilots brave (or crazy) enough to join the daily sundown furball that is Flite Fest.
  • “Dawn Patrol”: after generating interest and sharing the models during the hangout we awake bright eyed and bushy-tailed the next morning to take to the skies in a group flight. For the main flight I’m not suggesting an actual combat sortie… just a leisurely tribute flight with all participants.
  • “Dawn Patrol II: Raise the Stakes: My personal suggestion, and I’m happy to be overridden by the community on this, but I would LOVE to see some “historical” engagements, streamer combat style. This could be small groups recreating actual dogfights or any and all of the participants who are willing to risk their airframes for a little streamer combat fun. Totally optional.
  • Debrief: Following the combat join the other participants and spectators (and whatever remains of the models) in one of the tents for coffee, donuts, and comradery.
Again these are just my personal suggestions for potential Flite Fest 22 activities. I’d be willing to sponsor a prize and trophy (3D printed of course… I’m not springing for a silver cup :p) Best-in-Show or People’s Choice award, perhaps based on voting collected during the evening hang-out from the spectators.

Go BIG or (don’t) go home: While the intent here is to build models at 1:6th scale some of us have what you might call a problem 😊. As of this moment both willsonman (Joshua D. Orchard) and I have both started 1:4 scale models. Actually it is more accurate to say that I have STARTED an Albatros D.Va while willsonman has FINISHED a Fokker D.VIII. You are WELCOME to join us in our madness and build BIG with us. Both Joshua and I plan to have 1:6th models as well to fit within the guidelines of the event. If we have enough people building BIG perhaps we’ll have a separate trophy for the larger birds, but for now I’d like to give that award to one of the 1:6th models.

Participants:
To date we have a number of individuals already committed to participating, many with models in various states of completion.

Willsonman (Joshua Orchard)
  • Fokker D.VIII (1:4 scale) – Done and FLYING!
  • FVM Ö1 Tummelisa BUILD THREAD
Mid7night (Ben Harber)
  • Blackburn Type D
Adrian Chupp
  • Fokker DR1 Triplane
Dan Sponholz
Keegan Sponholz
  • Fokker D.VII
Jarrod Roetenberger
  • Can’t remember
Patrick Shawn Murphy
  • Sopwith Camel (I think)
13th Squadron
  • Albatros D.Va
Wilmracer (Carl Lydick)
  • Albatros D.Va (1:4 scale) BUILD THREAD
  • Albatros D.Va (1:6th scale… probably)
Quinnyperks
  • Moraine-saulnier AI (1:6 scale)
Ligbaer
Yankee2003 (Mike Perry)
CrashRecovery (Ryan)
FlyingTyger
jaypbennett
mastermalpass
  • Albatros D.Va (1:12 scale)
Baron VonHelton
The Fopster
Spitfire76
  • Bristol M1(c) (1:9 scale)
NerdyKid
  • Ilya Muromets (1:12 scale, still BIG!)
Off-topic jes
  • Fokker dr1 or se5 (TBD)
mastermalpass
NM156
noahangel11

YOU?!?!?!?!

Add your name to the list and join in the fun! We can use this thread to share pictures and progress of the builds and to brainstorm and refine the ideas for how best to share the fun at Flite Fest 2022. Hope to see everyone and their WWI models there!

Plotter4Plans

This is my Scoutster XL for Dawn Patrol..
Scout wings, elevator and rudder on a modified sportster fuselage. So I'm able to utilize a full size power pod. Wings are removable from the bottom.
20220313_104923.jpg
20220313_104826.jpg

JakeTheSloth

I'd like to contribute to the challenge by uploading my plans for Fokker D.VI I made last year. The plane I made has 80cm wingspan but I resized plans to required 1:6 scale. The wikipedia says its wingspan was 7,65m. 7,65m/6=1,27m and this is ± 10mm the wingspan of my "new" design. I don't plan on building the plane again or coming to FF22 since I live in Europe, but I'd be really happy to see someone use these plans and fly this plane at FF. The construction is pretty straight forward and pieces were fitting really nice, but since it's heavily based off a paper model some tinkering is required. It isn't a plane for a newbie to build, but it sure is doable (I did it and I'm not a pro modeller at all, nor a good designer lol). Here's pic of my model, if anyone's interested I'll start a build thread with instructions and plans to do one. I've also got plans for Aviatik Berg D.I which I can resize to any desired size and adapt for any foam thickness, if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• IMG_8768.JPG
    IMG_8768.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8780.JPG
    IMG_8780.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8781.JPG
    IMG_8781.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8993.JPG
    IMG_8993.JPG
    843.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8766.JPG
    IMG_8766.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great subject, and I look forward to seeing the build and the maiden. But, I have to agree with @wilmracer and @Mid7night that this model does not fit the theme/era for the Dawn Patrol event this year. Even if you don't get to fly in the Dawn Patrol, I bet there's a good chance that your H.P.42 gets the attention of the Flite Test cameras and makes the Flite Fest '22 highlight reel. :cool:
I have been looking at the Handley Page O-400
1647875031764.png

which was a 1916 Bomber. with a 100 ft wing span. At 1:6 scale... the wingspan would be 16" feet. Fuse will be 10' long. Making it difficult to transport/Build.
How Big a Scale-down is too much? I am rolling ideas/solutions around right now, but it is a question at the heart of it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
If you go back to earlier in the thread you'll see discussion on this. My Gotha bomber was done at 1/12 scale which brought it to 70+ in span, which was much more reasonable. It has been said that it would be acceptable for this challenge to go that size so I would say that this subject would follow suit.

FoamyDM

If you go back to earlier in the thread you'll see discussion on this. My Gotha bomber was done at 1/12 scale which brought it to 70+ in span, which was much more reasonable. It has been said that it would be acceptable for this challenge to go that size so I would say that this subject would follow suit.
@wilsonman Thank you for the reply. I will certainly try and keep it to as-close-to-1:6-scale as I can. I will be running weight and size numbers today. Then start on some plans.

Tench745

Master member
I am hesitant to commit to anything yet, but I started sketching up plans for a 1/6 scale Thomas Morse Scout. If I do go forward the plan is to keep it as simple and as light as I can. I toyed with the idea of prepping the build and doing final assembly at Flite Fest, but that seems like a recipe for an unfinished plane. I'll make up my mind whether I want to start this build before the end of May.
1648086232740.png

I have a shortage of planes I don't care about too much to throw around the sky at Flite Fest so I'll also be building a smaller scale Curtiss Jenny from my own plans.

FoamyDM

Here is the Build Thread.
HP O-400 bomber - I have determined that 1:8.67 scale would be sized down enough for transport, 88" long fuse. This puts the wingspan at 12', with a chord length of 13". 1,810 in^2 + 1,160 in^2 - ~20sf

If I use mostly DTFB, the Est. Weight will be ~10 lbs, 8oz/sf with a WCL - 2.1
With the two motors I have selected, it will have a 1:1 thrust ratio.

I might be able to shave about 2lbs if I use XPS profiles for formers with a Monocote skin. :unsure:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I've been absent from this thread for a few days but I'm really glad to see things are still growing and gaining momentum! Keep it up people! I know I'm pushing hard to get mine done in the next few weeks so I can work the bugs out before FF.

The Fopster

Master member
My Sopwith Pup has had a hiatus due to travel and “life”. But it’s nearly the weekend so some chance of progress. The only barrier will be the uncharacteristically nice flying weather for the time of year. A good dilemma to have…