• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Flite Fest West?

CheckMySix

I really think they should do a flitefest in Arizona on the winter. Phoenix metro area. We have some clubs out here and others. Winter is our time. 65° highs Dec through March and not a lot of rain. Some good places to fly to whether it's an association up by Adobe dam in North Phoenix or plenty of places that would likely help out with some sponser/s help. Could be pretty sweet!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I too am curious about this. If they did another one in Vallejo again, that would only be a couple hours drive for me. :D
Problem with Vallejo is that the Fairgrounds have been demolished and a housing/retail development is going in, in its place. I wouldn't have minded it happening there either, because my in laws live in Concord - my wife and I could drive up, and she could visit with them while I went flying. Unfortunately, that's no longer an option.

There's a place my club found last weekend, out in Julian, called Butterfield Ranch RV Resort that might be ideal - it's an RV resort, with an abandoned airstrip literally right across the road. You've got your camping spots, RV spots, a HUGE area for the RC pilots to go fly at, and we wouldn't have to worry about flying into restricted airspace. :)

sprzout

Mentor
I really think they should do a flitefest in Arizona on the winter. Phoenix metro area. We have some clubs out here and others. Winter is our time. 65° highs Dec through March and not a lot of rain. Some good places to fly to whether it's an association up by Adobe dam in North Phoenix or plenty of places that would likely help out with some sponser/s help. Could be pretty sweet!
I'd think it would have to be set up at something like Superstition Airpark, on the northeast end of Phoenix. Question there, as it is with larger "events" in metro areas like Phoenix, is whether they'd allow something like that without a lot of permits.

Our club had looked into doing a Joe Nall type event at our field, until we found out that the city said we'd have to have a ton of porta pottis, food permits for vendors, an event permit (for which the price would vary depending on how many people we expected to have onsite), event liability insurance prior to applying for the permit...Lots of little things that had to be put into effect, and for the amount of people we expected and what we knew we could safely handle at our field, it was cost prohibitive.

Things might go a little easier in Phoenix, but you do need to ask whether there's a venue that could support 300 or so people, build tents, vendors, food trucks, allow onsite camping, AND won't be impacted for flying. Those things have been on my mind for suggesting a FFW venue, as to where it could potentially be held.

CheckMySix

I'd think it would have to be set up at something like Superstition Airpark, on the northeast end of Phoenix. Question there, as it is with larger "events" in metro areas like Phoenix, is whether they'd allow something like that without a lot of permits.

Our club had looked into doing a Joe Nall type event at our field, until we found out that the city said we'd have to have a ton of porta pottis, food permits for vendors, an event permit (for which the price would vary depending on how many people we expected to have onsite), event liability insurance prior to applying for the permit...Lots of little things that had to be put into effect, and for the amount of people we expected and what we knew we could safely handle at our field, it was cost prohibitive.

Things might go a little easier in Phoenix, but you do need to ask whether there's a venue that could support 300 or so people, build tents, vendors, food trucks, allow onsite camping, AND won't be impacted for flying. Those things have been on my mind for suggesting a FFW venue, as to where it could potentially be held.
Some good points. I might make some inquiries with ASU west campus. They let us fly in the huge parking lot and field on the south east side of the campus. A lot of room there even with covered parking at the south end of the lot. Would be perfect for vendor tents. I just image the guys I fly out there with wouldn't be to thrilled with losing the lot for a weekend lol. Could totally work the. The field around there is about as big or bigger than then one they have at the Ohio Flite Fest field. ASU does do community based events. May even be easier to deal with than the city, or harder. Who knows. 😛😁

We all park at the north east corner of lot 20. Lot 3 is the covered parking. Lots of space and vendors wouldn't even need tents really. Huge fields for the great air way. Only down side is your killed plane might end up in a palo Verde tree or hit one of the many Jack Rabbits that roam the fields lol.

Attachments

I realize this isn't much help but I just saw (somewhere online) that there is a glider club doing a national (regional event) in AZ at a large field. I'll look for the ad. I'm in Albuquerque and would love to do some flying in AZ and meet a bunch of folks.

sprzout

Mentor
Some good points. I might make some inquiries with ASU west campus. They let us fly in the huge parking lot and field on the south east side of the campus. A lot of room there even with covered parking at the south end of the lot. Would be perfect for vendor tents. I just image the guys I fly out there with wouldn't be to thrilled with losing the lot for a weekend lol. Could totally work the. The field around there is about as big or bigger than then one they have at the Ohio Flite Fest field. ASU does do community based events. May even be easier to deal with than the city, or harder. Who knows. 😛😁

We all park at the north east corner of lot 20. Lot 3 is the covered parking. Lots of space and vendors wouldn't even need tents really. Huge fields for the great air way. Only down side is your killed plane might end up in a palo Verde tree or hit one of the many Jack Rabbits that roam the fields lol.
That POTENTIALLY could work; the downside is that most likely they're not gonna allow any camping. That means having to shut down flying at a set time and forcing everyone off the grounds until the next day. I did a quick search to see if I could locate some nearby campgrounds, and it seems to be a little lacking.

Have you guys ever done a fly-in or other event there at the ASU campus? If so, how hard was it to organize it?

What about a general aviation airport? All you would need is clearance from the owner of the airport. You also would have plenty of runway space for bigger models! You could also pitch tents and easy-ups on the taxiway.

Attachments