• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Flite Fest West?

Captain Jay

Well, for those that were in the Southern Arizona Modelers, I'm sure it was.

Was being the operative word. According the SAM website, they had their final farewell fly-in at the site on February 24th. They are now in the process of trying to find a new place for their club to fly.

I fly with Southern Arizona Gliders and Electrics, out of the SAGE field in Marana. Our runway is scraped dirt. Mind you, I'm not complaining. The trade-off is, it keeps club expenses much lower than maintaining a paved runway.
That's a bummer!! To loose a great field like that hurts. I fly at Burnaby Lake Flyers "Hoods Up" in BC. We have a grass field and it's hard on gear when it grows. But we are allowed to mow in a very low cut 40 x 120 foot runway. It works and it's work...

SquirrelTail

That's a bummer!! To loose a great field like that hurts. I fly at Burnaby Lake Flyers "Hoods Up" in BC. We have a grass field and it's hard on gear when it grows. But we are allowed to mow in a very low cut 40 x 120 foot runway. It works and it's work...
I fly out of Carl Henson Field in Eugene Oregon. We have a 600ft grass runway, and it is a major pain to keep in good condition!

Hoomi

Two of the biggest issues we have with our dirt runway are burrowing rodents deciding to dig their holes in the middle, and the occasional buttheads on ATVs that decide our runway needs donuts dug into it. (Disclaimer: This is not to suggest that everyone who rides an ATV is a butthead. There are many who are considerate and respectful of other folks' property.)

As far as a Flite Fest on grass runways, seems to me the FT guys have an easily transported runway that can be laid out over grass.