Flitefest 2021

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
heading down with three kids, all of whom fly! probably build a quantity of minis and maybe @Niez13 / 13th Squadron Mosquito and p61 if I don't get them done before we leave. likely going to make something up for combat too. perhaps I'll build one of my BF109s as well...
Side note I should have the 13th squadron FW190 all set to go as I want one anyway. Crossing my fingers foam will still be free at FF so I can help lots of people.

bwarz

Master member
Send me the BF109 plans and I can needle cut them at flite fest. Ill try to get some of the others downloaded too and on request I can probably knock them out during the evenings when everything is wound down. Bringing my whole setup along. If your plans are efficient I can cut a sheet in less than 10 mins. Max of like 35-40.
That'd be cool to watch! I've seen them online but it'd be cool to see one in action in person. I've got 20x30 plans uploaded, but how does the file look when converting to gcode (?? is it gcode?) What do lines need to look like, what shouldn't be in the file, etc?) Do you convert from PDF or straight from svgs? If I like it I might just have to build one for myself :D:D:p:cool:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Send me the BF109 plans and I can needle cut them at flite fest. Ill try to get some of the others downloaded too and on request I can probably knock them out during the evenings when everything is wound down. Bringing my whole setup along. If your plans are efficient I can cut a sheet in less than 10 mins. Max of like 35-40.
What CNC needle cutter do you have - did you make it yourself? I might drive up to Malvern just to see one in action!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I will be camping Friday and Saturday. I will be brining my F-16, F-117 and Aero L-39. Also a few more on the bench ready for retirement (combat).
Awesome, can’t wait to see them, they look sooooo good in your pictures!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Can anyone explain how the situation with plans, sbk's and electronics woks on flitefest, this will be my first.
@tamuct01 did a great job explaining it. Last time they had several boxes of glue guns and were giving away free glue, but I would bring your own just in case. You can buy every ft power pack and each individual part from them at the store, as well as sbk’s etc. There are also other vendors that you can buy stuff from for cheaper usually. I’m looking forward to seeing you there, find me and we’ll do some buddy boxing on any of my planes I have there if you’d like!

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
That'd be cool to watch! I've seen them online but it'd be cool to see one in action in person. I've got 20x30 plans uploaded, but how does the file look when converting to gcode (?? is it gcode?) What do lines need to look like, what shouldn't be in the file, etc?) Do you convert from PDF or straight from svgs? If I like it I might just have to build one for myself :D:D:p:cool:
I convert from SVGs although PDFs typically work too in my experience. The lines need to be solid for full and score and thats the only requirement. Different colors makes it easier on me editing though. Basically you take your score cuts and delete every full cut line off the plan in inkscape. This leaves you with just your score cuts. You compile this as gcode with the servo height for score cuts in degrees. Then you undo back to the regular plans and delete the scores. Then you compile as full cut. Then in the notepad doc you just copy and paste the full cut text beneath the score cut text and boom. Thats a sheet done.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
@tamuct01 did a great job explaining it. Last time they had several boxes of glue guns and were giving away free glue, but I would bring your own just in case. You can buy every ft power pack and each individual part from them at the store, as well as sbk’s etc. There are also other vendors that you can buy stuff from for cheaper usually. I’m looking forward to seeing you there, find me and we’ll do some buddy boxing on any of my planes I have there if you’d like!
The buddy boxing doubles for any of mine. Perhaps excluding the 110(ish) mph hotliner lol.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
What CNC needle cutter do you have - did you make it yourself? I might drive up to Malvern just to see one in action!
I built the ERC TimSav but I modded it to a dual lower Y rail so its more sturdy. Still working out some bugs with it and eventually want to switch to a 2040 extrusion for my X rail for more stability since Im seeing some wobble in my cutterhead. Come on out and Ill cut you a 13th Squadron FW190, baby Brit, Arrow, Nates Aero L39, or one of the many other plans I have ready to go.

bwarz

Master member
I convert from SVGs although PDFs typically work too in my experience. The lines need to be solid for full and score and thats the only requirement. Different colors makes it easier on me editing though. Basically you take your score cuts and delete every full cut line off the plan in inkscape. This leaves you with just your score cuts. You compile this as gcode with the servo height for score cuts in degrees. Then you undo back to the regular plans and delete the scores. Then you compile as full cut. Then in the notepad doc you just copy and paste the full cut text beneath the score cut text and boom. Thats a sheet done.
So if I were to layer the svg with solid cut lines in one layer, score cuts in another, and all of the notes, taper cuts, etc in another layer you could just turn layers off in inkscape? I might drag my laptop along if it turns out that's the case...

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
So if I were to layer the svg with solid cut lines in one layer, score cuts in another, and all of the notes, taper cuts, etc in another layer you could just turn layers off in inkscape? I might drag my laptop along if it turns out that's the case...
Sure or you could just message me the files. Has to be compiled to gcode in inkscape .91

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Ill download your plans and edit them right now. Im pretty good at this point anyway haha. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

bwarz

Master member
@bwarz how necessary are the flaps? @Flyin Toast is interested in building one and since we don't have the custom flap control horns was wondering how slow it flies without them.
since I am still very new to flaps, most of my flights so far (maiden video included) were no flaps. So to answer the question, it is very easy to fly without flaps. If you're heading out to FF I'll print out a handful of the flap horn for anyone that wants them! You can cut them out and just take them off and add horns later. If you won't be making it to FF so me a pm with your address and I can throw a few in an envelope and mail them for you!

If you are like me and hand launching without flaps the first 5 seconds are a bit hair raising. Full throttle, a little right rudder, and strong nerves, 'cuz she drops to the left until you've got enough speed....

Now you got me thinking I need to upload the stl to Thingiverse along with the exhaust ...

I think the height was the same as the tall FT P47 aileron horns, I just tweaked them a bit too deal with not cutting a slot for clearance.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
since I am still very new to flaps, most of my flights so far (maiden video included) were no flaps. So to answer the question, it is very easy to fly without flaps. If you're heading out to FF I'll print out a handful of the flap horn for anyone that wants them! You can cut them out and just take them off and add horns later. If you won't be making it to FF so me a pm with your address and I can throw a few in an envelope and mail them for you!

If you are like me and hand launching without flaps the first 5 seconds are a bit hair raising. Full throttle, a little right rudder, and strong nerves, 'cuz she drops to the left until you've got enough speed....

Now you got me thinking I need to upload the stl to Thingiverse along with the exhaust ...

I think the height was the same as the tall FT P47 aileron horns, I just tweaked them a bit too deal with not cutting a slot for clearance.
I think the left turning tendencies could be fixed with some thrust angle. Editing the plans I dont see any. Especially with as small of a rudder the 109 has it would be much needed

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member

Fyi we will be at FF Wednesday through Sunday and the plan is to constantly be cutting kits for people

bwarz

Master member
I think the left turning tendencies could be fixed with some thrust angle. Editing the plans I dont see any. Especially with as small of a rudder the 109 has it would be much needed
That would explain the dogging while flying - kinda always flying on an angle :ROFLMAO: I'll have to shim it and give it another try and then modify the plans to include a bit. I use 3D printed firewalls with a big glue surface so shimming will be always necessary for me!

chris398mx

Master member
That would explain the dogging while flying - kinda always flying on an angle :ROFLMAO: I'll have to shim it and give it another try and then modify the plans to include a bit. I use 3D printed firewalls with a big glue surface so shimming will be always necessary for me!
Just modify your firewall to include the angle you are looking for. I hate having to add shims.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Ill make 2 motor pods in the plans. Ill give one a bit of an angle. Probably like 2.5°

Last edited: