FliteFest 2022 Dawn Patrol - Sopwith Pup

The Fopster

Master member
Thank you. I suspect is was slightly tail heavy, but the 3d printed engine wasn’t fitted and that will add a bit more noseweight. Now need to make the wing struts and rigging!

The Fopster

Master member
I’ve spent a couple of hours on the Cub this week. First thing was to improve it’s flight behaviour. It was VERY slow, and sort of mushed along. I realised the upper wing was at about a six degree angle (positive) to the lower wing, which I suspect also explains why it needed a lot of down trim on the elevator to fly level. So - took off the wire framework that holds the upper wing and shortened the front struts, and now the wings are at pretty much the same angle (as on the full size).
I also made the struts to go between the wings from some BBQ skewers and some wooden “craft stick” (at least that’s what it said on the packet - they look like the things doctors use to push your tongue down!). Anyway - they fit and look OK. I used PVA so they’ll need to dry overnight. Weather tomorrow may even allow another flight attempt to see if the wing changes are an improvement. Fingers crossed!
682F9B25-1FCD-4844-A7ED-52ACADF1D264.jpeg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I’ve spent a couple of hours on the Cub this week. First thing was to improve it’s flight behaviour. It was VERY slow, and sort of mushed along. I realised the upper wing was at about a six degree angle (positive) to the lower wing, which I suspect also explains why it needed a lot of down trim on the elevator to fly level. So - took off the wire framework that holds the upper wing and shortened the front struts, and now the wings are at pretty much the same angle (as on the full size).
I also made the struts to go between the wings from some BBQ skewers and some wooden “craft stick” (at least that’s what it said on the packet - they look like the things doctors use to push your tongue down!). Anyway - they fit and look OK. I used PVA so they’ll need to dry overnight. Weather tomorrow may even allow another flight attempt to see if the wing changes are an improvement. Fingers crossed!
View attachment 230825
wow that looks so amazing!

The Fopster

Master member
Last post for this thread. It was a beautiful calm and mild November day here in the uk, so I took the Pup to the flying fleld. Flew three batteries and had three successful flight with three good landings! Really pleased with how this one has worked out - it looks really great in the air with a nice scale looking speed. Definitely worth the effort!

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Last post for this thread. It was a beautiful calm and mild November day here in the uk, so I took the Pup to the flying fleld. Flew three batteries and had three successful flight with three good landings! Really pleased with how this one has worked out - it looks really great in the air with a nice scale looking speed. Definitely worth the effort!

Great flight and amazing landing, well done.