FliteFest Plane Transport

TampaDrones

Is there anyone who is going to FliteFest that has figured out a way to transport planes with a 3ftish wingspan on actual planes? Also does TSA allow 2.4 gig transmitters on planes? FYI what I am trying to bring is a tek sumo flying wing and a batbone v tail quad.Thanks for the help.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
the batbone is easy.take the arms off and put it in your luggage. Put your radio in your carry on along with your batteries. What size batteries are you using? The teksumo might not make it unless you make a box and pack it in there and use the box for luggage

TampaDrones

Yeah it folds, what I am really worried about is the plane. Any other suggestions? I am using a Turnigy 2450 3 cell and a 1300 3 cell.

TampaDrones

Plus the tek sumo is shipped with the wing in two pieces and so even if I still had the box it is way too small.

Timmy P

I dont know luggage costs but it might be cheaper to buy a plane off some one there.. I could sell you a new Versa Wing for like $45 with the servos and horns ready to go just mount your motor and Rx and ready to go....... Just throwing that out there.. I build a lot lol..

TampaDrones

We'll I'm flying southwest so luggage prices are not an issue but I just would like to know if anyone has a possible way to safely transport them on the plane.

Gryf

The TSA asks about LiPo batteries in your luggage these days... just got back from Phoenix, and was asked if I had any. So that's something to check out. I don't know what the rules are, but I presume it's all about the fire risk. As for transporting planes, I guess it wouldn't be any different than taking along a musical instrument, etc... just make sure it's packed well, and if it's too big to carry on, then check it at the desk. I'd also pack my transmitter, etc. in my checked luggage - the TSA might suspect you of wanting to trigger something from the cabin if you take a radio on board. But what do I know... I'm glad I live in the Midwest and can drive to Flite Fest. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Gryf

Last edited:

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
4h93lee.jpg