Foamboard SAAB JAS-39 Gripen EDF (images, plans, build)

Bayboos

I did some more 4s flying, mostly to learn the plane and check how the electronics survives the 4s torture (mind you the drive was designed for 3s application). Here what I found after one moderate to intense flight:

IMG_6829.JPG

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG

All temps on the images are in the normal scale, which translates to (roughly) 100, 125 and 150F, respectively. I did more measurements of course, and those numbers are a good average - I did notice slightly higher temps after one or two very intense flights, but usually it's a bit lower than that.

I'm a little surprised that the motor remains relatively cold; but the ESC's temperature is definitely something to worry about. At this point however it's not actively cooled, so it may be a good idea to figure out a way to push some cool air trough the battery/ESC compartment. Right now I just need to wait a bit between the flights to let it cool down by itself; which is a bit difficult because the plane flies beautifully... And I already bought some acrylic paints, including bright/metallic ones, and some water-based varnish to go on top of them...

Stay tuned.

Bayboos

Nice video. It looks like the area you are flying in is somewhat tight for this airplane. It would be impossible to fly there with my current setup :)

Be careful with this ESC and those plugs. The outside temperature have very little impact on cooling such components, especially when those are installed inside closed, insulated space (boamboards are very good insulators). You should definitely upgrade to something more robust.

Good luck, and have fun!

Stonewall

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but hopefully people are still posting. I really love the looks of the Gripen and when I did a Google search I saw this thread on FT and got all giddy. I don't have any EDFs on-hand for scratch builds, but one thing I do have enough of is outrunner brushless motors. Would this be practical to modify for prop build with a prop cutout somewhere down the midline? I'm currently working on an F-117 and hope to finish it up either this evening or tomorrow, and then I do believe this Gripen has my name on it.

Bayboos

Hello, and welcome!

Every DIY foamboard EDF can be converted to a prop setup, either classic pusher (or tractor, if you wish) or prop'n'slot. But it's not always easy. The latter one seems to be what you have in mind, and in case of this particular design, it may require too mamy changes in the structure to provide enough free air for the prop and still keep it's structural integrity.

I wasn't able to easily find nice looking prop'n'slot Gripens on the web, but there are plenty of those in pusher prop configuration. One particularily good looking example can be found on the RC Groups forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?308830-JAS-39-Gripen-Park-Jet - it's a little bit smaller (just a bit though) and should be even easier to build because of the flat box fuselage. I'm sure you can find other examples as well.

Good luck, and have fun!

Stonewall

@Bayboos

Thanks for that link! I didn't run across that one during my search. That definitely looks like something I can do with the parts I have on hand. Hopefully once I grab some EDF ducts and inrunners I can come back to this EDF version.

NandanPrabu

Am 11 years old and a big fan of SAAB Gripen. Been flying RC models for a while now and always wanted to build a Gripen. My dad and I looked up various places for a plan and Widkin's plan was simply the best we could find. We have adapted this plan for a 50mm EDF and did not do a perfect job with a few aspects - front nose (width), canopy and the canard system. We printed the plan @ 75%...80% could have been better.

Attachments

• Gripen_1.jpeg
    Gripen_1.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Gripen_2.jpeg
    Gripen_2.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Gripen_3.jpeg
    Gripen_3.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Gripen_4.jpeg
    Gripen_4.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Gripen_5.jpeg
    Gripen_5.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Gripen_6.jpeg
    Gripen_6.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Gripen_7.jpeg
    Gripen_7.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

Widkin

Tack så mycket Widkin...

The model we built based on your plan flies...and I did a maiden today. Will share the youtube link shortly

Hello Nandan,

Great work, that was a good maiden! Way better than mine :)

So cool to see you build this, and I'm glad that it also worked on a smaller scale. I would not have thought this possible due to the already low wing area of the plane but your video clearly shows it works. Good job!

NandanPrabu

Hello Nandan,

Great work, that was a good maiden! Way better than mine :)

So cool to see you build this, and I'm glad that it also worked on a smaller scale. I would not have thought this possible due to the already low wing area of the plane but your video clearly shows it works. Good job!
Thank You for the kind words