• Great work

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No this sim is not for me

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Robbie

Hey Guys,

Recently came accross this: http://fpv-freerider.itch.io/fpv-freerider

Tried the demo seemed fun and then bought the full game for $5, i have found it really fun, especially when flying with my Taranis.

This is what they say:
RC quadcopter racing simulator.

• Supports first person view (FPV) and line of sight (LOS) flying.
  • It is highly recommended to use a USB controller. Most USB controllers should work*
  • Physical controllers are configurable for mode 1,2,3 and 4.
  • Includes self-levelling and acro mode. Four sceneries included, with more to come. There is a demo version that you can try for free which includes one scenery.
  • Ability to adjust settings for input rates, camera and physics in the full version.
  • Fly (and crash!) all you want regardless of rain, wind, sleet or snow - all for the price of a few replacement props.

Have been going at it for an hour and even though i would regard my self as an experience flyer have found it really hard. I was wondering if any of you have had the same. The physics seem sound and there is a noticeable difference when changing the weight of the quad etc.

Personally I think the guy has done a really good job, and i would recommend it to anyone as it as really good way to hone in your skills.

Give it ago, the demo is free and there is easy controller set up (i did it in 15 mins). So far i have found RC sims to be lacking in physics and realism, but i must say this one is really good.

Robbie

CharelZa

I got it last week and really think its a good little sim., been playing on my phone (note 4) and laptop using my flysky transmitter and works very well.

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
just got it working (demo) and it's decent, but I'm not really liking the way the simulated PID controller acts. inputs feel mushy and there's way too much slop. Not sure if it will be a good thing or a bad thing to get used to this, but definitely a good basic place to start if you have no experience. for $5, definitely worth it... especially considering you don't get roped into having to buy special adaptors or use a proprietary tx.

Robbie

just got it working (demo) and it's decent, but I'm not really liking the way the simulated PID controller acts. inputs feel mushy and there's way too much slop. Not sure if it will be a good thing or a bad thing to get used to this, but definitely a good basic place to start if you have no experience. for $5, definitely worth it... especially considering you don't get roped into having to buy special adaptors or use a proprietary tx.

yeh i found the demo that way. And the Pids are slightly mushy I agree, but you get more options on rates, thrust, quad weight and even drag if you buy the full version.

What i found its really good for was for practising using roll and yaw to get really smooth turns and its a really good opportunity to try stuff which you wouldn't normally do in the field for fear of breaking your quad.

Also not gonna lie its a great way to kill a few hours when the weather is too bad to go flying.

Btw what transmitter are you using on it Narco?

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Sims just don't cut it for me.

I heard about this one last week and set it up and started playing with it. After 4 nights of playing with it I was able to just barely make a loop above the course without crashing. Even flying "LOS" with it I can barely do a flip. In fact I was starting to despair that I had forgotten how to fly because I've had so little time to fly lately!

Then I saw this one in the forums:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?18209-Quadcopter-Simulator-(In-Development)

I gave it a try and was able to put around a bit...but it just felt so far from reality. Again I started to wonder if I had forgotten how to fly.

Thankfully I was able to get out a fly a few real packs and confirmed that I hadn't forgotten how to fly at all :)

Just for some reason for me sim's have almost no relation to reality. Which is a bummer because I'd love to be able to use a sim to develop my muscle memory flying at night after my daughter is asleep. But the experience is just so different from reality that I find absolutely no benefit from sim's at this point. (Note: Yes I'm using my actual controller on both sim's.)

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I've been playing with FPV Freerider a bit over the last couple of weeks. I think it's fun, but I don't know if it translates to real world flying that well. It might be good for trying out something and getting an idea of the stick movements necessary. I think it's easily worth $5, but I'm approaching it as entertainment and not a replacement for real world practice.

Robbie

I've been playing with FPV Freerider a bit over the last couple of weeks. I think it's fun, but I don't know if it translates to real world flying that well. It might be good for trying out something and getting an idea of the stick movements necessary. I think it's easily worth $5, but I'm approaching it as entertainment and not a replacement for real world practice.

yeh i agree its defiantly not a substitute flying but i was pleasantly surprised by the physics. And urm and its defiantly worth the money.

Btw jhitesma it is seriously hard, but after about 2 hours i was racing pretty hard on it....however i think thats more down to me being a teenager rather than a good flyer :)

jipp

i downloaded this when it was in beta stage in the simulator section of the forum.. had no clue it was going to be ported to mobile at that time.... all this mobile app has done, makes me think of the ipad i broke on accident.. stupid leg. was a expensive fall.. especially what is the hardest part for me to stomach. i can hear it still working in the back ground.. just the screen went black in the falll. sigh..

anyhow, i think this could use lots of improvement in the pid system.. that could be the heart of this idea Ii think.. with tutorials training the user to manipulate the pids in the correct manor that when you went to your real quad the skill set could be transfer over.. anyhow, at this time im quite content to be playing with the FPV setups in real phoenix RC. version w. and real flight 7.5.. ( the flight sims , they all have mini games you can play in side if you get bored of just flying ) i think phoenix RC looks better with real photo technology, and lots of mni games to to keep your thumbs nimble.. unfortunately there are only 4 maps to fly FPV on.. the real 3d maps are used. new feature? from a content point of view real flight 7.00 with free upgrade to 7.5 has the most free content.. you could spend days trying different planes/boats/copters made from a large user base.. i would but the official air frames to be the same between the two. but real flight 7.5 seems to have the largest mod community.. which really opens up the software in my opinion.. if you want to fly a tri-copter, you just can not do it in no time.. just do a quick search, download the multirotor air frames put them in your extra folder.. load them into the software so real flight 7.x knows you have uploaded products.. and then you can do the same with maps too.. again the official release is on par with each other but here the modding community favors real flight 7 for some reason.

just today i felt like getting my obstical course on so i went to knife edges home page.. looked for the maps that says race like charpou. loaded it, and sure enough i was running through empty hospital buildings, tree branchs, fences, park benches etc.. typical concrete jungle stuff.. and one other thing id mention about real flight 7.. you can fly first person, or FPV on any map you please. now with that said.. which one is my fav? i always seem to load up Phoenix RC for some reason. :) i do hope it can catch up with real flight 7s number of multirotor air craft to choose from.. but its ok, they have solid models which because just like my zmr 250.. I look forward to when i can take a tri-copter for a spin in phoenix RC. i know this thread was about another sim.. i just feel if you gonna spend your time in one may as well get something in return from it.. which i feel real flight 7 and phoenix RC offers.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
yeh i agree its defiantly not a substitute flying but i was pleasantly surprised by the physics. And urm and its defiantly worth the money.

Btw jhitesma it is seriously hard, but after about 2 hours i was racing pretty hard on it....however i think thats more down to me being a teenager rather than a good flyer :)

For sure worth $5 :)

I still have to keep reminding myself i'm not a teen anymore even if it's been a few decades...but it doesn't seem to help me pick new games up any quicker :(

I'm still hoping one of these new quad sims will add HITL/SITL (Hardware in the loop) support. (Even though I think only Tau and OP support it...APM might from what I see...MW/Naze don't natively though I have heard of people doing it with MW.)

Then the SIM's PID doesn't matter - your actual flight hardware (or with SITL just the flight software from your controller) is actually used to fly the simulator.

I've messed with setting up HITL a few times but haven't had any luck with it yet. Mostly because the only computer I have that can run both GCS and a decent simulator at the same time is the one I never get to use due to it being in the living room and thus off-limits after my daughters bedtime :( Plus most of the sim's are fixed wing focused so they don't really do quads/hex's very well.

Still...I'd love to get a simple lightweight quad/hex sim working with HITL so I could experiment with hardware/software changes virtually easier.

Spastickitten

Sims just don't cut it for me.

I heard about this one last week and set it up and started playing with it. After 4 nights of playing with it I was able to just barely make a loop above the course without crashing. Even flying "LOS" with it I can barely do a flip. In fact I was starting to despair that I had forgotten how to fly because I've had so little time to fly lately!

Then I saw this one in the forums:
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?18209-Quadcopter-Simulator-(In-Development)

I gave it a try and was able to put around a bit...but it just felt so far from reality. Again I started to wonder if I had forgotten how to fly.

Thankfully I was able to get out a fly a few real packs and confirmed that I hadn't forgotten how to fly at all :)

Just for some reason for me sim's have almost no relation to reality. Which is a bummer because I'd love to be able to use a sim to develop my muscle memory flying at night after my daughter is asleep. But the experience is just so different from reality that I find absolutely no benefit from sim's at this point. (Note: Yes I'm using my actual controller on both sim's.)

Why don't you tell him? He needs a lot of help! ^w^

jipp

ohh, i like that idea. having the sim take your settings from your FC. wow.. mind blown.

chris.

Last edited:

Robbie

UPDATE: manually put in Exo on my Taranis then upped the PIDs on the sim and it honestly is really starting to feel like a real quad.

narcolepticltd

UPDATE: manually put in Exo on my Taranis then upped the PIDs on the sim and it honestly is really starting to feel like a real quad.

I did the same... if you're running the full version the 'snappy' preset is working very well for me, I just set the camera angle to 30 and the FoV to 100 (changing the FoV makes it so much easier).

After goofing around with it last night and today while 'working', I'm finally getting the hang of it and can make it through the full meadow course without crashing... hopefully I'm not just setting myself up for failure when I try FPV for the first time :)

Ocean

They should have a scoreboard, I got 8.79 on one lap of Desert, but that's hell to the leather crash at the last post. I love the top floor of carpark for practicing proximity.

narcolepticltd

They should have a scoreboard, I got 8.79 on one lap of Desert, but that's hell to the leather crash at the last post. I love the top floor of carpark for practicing proximity.

the only problem I have with carkpark, is 9/10 times when it loads the throttle defaults to about half so I'm asending and crash on the ceiling before I can sort it out. now that I've gotten a little less bumpy I may try it again.

jipp

Just out of curiosity how does horse racing have much to do with an FPV sim Jipp?

i got side tracked as i had just learn about the triple crown winner when i was posting. was excited to see i guess. only took 37 years to get another one. if i was thinking strait i would of just left it go with my original beta testing experience. as that is the last i have used the software.. was surprised to see it went to mobile.

latter,
chris.

BanditJacksRC

I just downloaded the demo for now (if at all decent will get the full), but can't get it to work with my realflight interface. It is the only USB connector I have that's compatible with my TX (DX6i)

Any thoughts?

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I thought of a neat idea so really the only native goggles you can use would be dominators. However i just thought you can use vga to rca on the computer and the fatshark av in cable to get the screen to display on the goggles. Technicly this should 100% work.. :) i although have teliporter v4's so it will be 320x240 still would be cool and another level of realisum..