Fpv setup on a electrohub

SidneyKi

Hello,

I would like to add fpv to my electrohub and use my fatshark goggle to fly it by.

Could you recommend a fpv setup that will work with fatshark goggles.

Gopro?
Mobius?
Camera board?

If you could take in to account,..
cost of fpv
Ease of setup/support
Use of different goggles
Displace information over screen / features

Also and thought on the new fpv kit from hobby King that is $99.

The new Quanum Bundle is pairing the popular Quanum DIY FPV googles with the SkyZone 200 FPV Plug-And-Fly set making this the most complete FPV combo

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you want a GoPro or Mobius for aireial video, just fine, but *DON'T* fly through it. Get a board camera and fly FPV through that. There is a split-second lag on the gopro and mobius that makes them difficult to fly through. It *can* be done, and with a well tuned autolevel and plenty of space, maintaining attitude isn't an issue but maintaining altitude will be. I find myself constantly "hunting" for throttle with pilot induced altitude osscilation when flying through my mobius. a GENUINE pain.

Most board cameras are much faster and don't have this lag, so holding a hover isn't much harder than LOS (well it's a little harder, since the viual cues aren't as strong, but it's one less thing to fight)

The FPV kit from HK looks like a good combo, and nice for the price. I have those goggles, VTX and VRX, but not that camera. overall it should work fine. Teh 32 channel systems cover the four popular bands, however the antennas in that kit are likley Left-Hand-Circularly-Polarized (LHCP), so they won't match up at all with the standard RHCP immersion/fatshark antennas -- should still work with most of the other brands, and a quick change of antennas will get you working wiht the FS gear.

The goggles are lower res, but the screen is exceptionally large for FPV. The picture won't be as crisp-clear as other goggles, but it's not bad and is very immersive.

I was able to carve a flat spot on top and mounted my VRX and wires there, with a long enough cord I can put my battery in my pocket. Consider picking up a voltage monitor to go with the goggles . . . don't want your battery giving out on your screen mid flight.

SidneyKi

Thank you Dan,

I see a lot of fpv setup on a quad with a möbius and a board camera. Not sure if möbius is better then a gopro.

If I use my fatshark goggle any thoughts on the time of camer aboard to buy?
Also a reciever that will work with the FS goggle?

Thank you

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I suggest starting with a board camera and a video transmitter. Don't worry about Mobius or GoPro. Your first flights won't be very exciting to record anyway. So just start learning to fly with a relatively small investment, and decide what you want to use for HD recording later.

In addition to the latency issue that was mentioned, there are two more good reasons not to fly through a Mobius or GoPro. The first is light handling. The HD cameras have worse low-light performance and dynamic range. What this can mean is that, in some lighting conditions, such as if you are in shadow but there is a bright sky in front of you, you can find yourself flying in complete blackness. The second reason is that, in some cases, a Mobius or GoPro can lock up and stop recording/transmitting. With a board camera, there is basically nothing to crash, lock up, etc... as long as it has power, it's working.

IMO, most people fly Mobius because it is lighter, MUCH cheaper, and smaller than a GoPro. The people who fly GoPro are trying to get the most video quality and can afford the additional cost (and risk of a crash, if you lose/break the camera).

As you shop for a board camera, consider dynamic range and low light performance. Resolution is less important, especially if your display is low-res. Color accuracy is less important. Quite often, when flying, you will be presented with situations where there is a very bright sky and a shadowed ground, and the better the camera's dynamic range, the better it will handle this. Software can play into it as well. I highly doubt that you need to spend $70-$100 for a fancy high-end board camera, like the TBS or Luminier ones. I have the FatShark 600tvl "FPV tuned" CMOS camera, which runs something like $45, and I think its performance is exceptional. I expect that there are probably a plethora of excellent cameras in the $35-$50 range. You can go as low as $20 if you're trying to save money, but performance is probably not as good.