fpv setup questions

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
👍👍 thanks a lot for all the help, I’m going to soldier it up and see if it fires up, I guess I’m not missing anything else.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
It has an antenna right?
you had one on it in your photos

1630013093896.jpg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FYI, I have used a lot of antennas over the years, cheap, expensive, homebrew, etc. The best Bang for the buck are VAS antennas. I have been extremely impressed with the minion series.

Cheers,
LitterBug (HAM)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks like you got the wiring correct. Now If this will be the only place this VTX will reside I suggest cutting them tiny plugs of and hard wiring the camera to the VTX. 1. They can work lose from vibration or crashes. Sudden black outs mid flight REALLY suck. 2. Those connectors are bad at power handling out of the factory. Not that the camera draws a lot they just are bad.

That VTX will easily take 3s power and stay reasonably cool. You still want to mount it where it has the best air flow possible. Next thing you want to do is either twist or braid ALL them wires. I braid all mine as it seems to be better suited for signal rejection and it also makes things neater without the wire trying to curl up everywhere. Where ever you mount this be smart about what wires carry what. Try to run all DC power wires in the same run if you can parallel. Then run any signal wires as far away from those as you can. IF they have to cross make sure they cross as close to 90 degrees as possible. NEVER get near or cross the three phases from esc to motor.

Finally did your camera come with the switch board? Should be a square board with 5 buttons on it underneath the cardboard where the wires were?

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
I never saw a switch board, I’ll see what I can do for twisting the wires, I’ll have to tape the antenna to to wing to fly so it doesn’t get eaten, I got about 250 yards of range before it gets sketchy the way it’s in the pictures. That was on 200, I’m not sure what I’m suppose to run under without a ham.
0FD8BF2E-4351-4ED5-8EF9-9F214A8FB5FD.jpeg
1EFC453B-472F-4F5E-B041-05652797A22B.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks good position wise. I wouldn't rely on tape to hold that VTX in place though. Maybe make a picture frame type edge that will grab the ears (mounting holes) to put over it and glue it in place. If you have access you could also glue two popsicle sticks under where your mounting it and screw it to those.

Don't tape that antenna flat down on the fuse if you use that. Dipoles need to be vertical to be effective. Run a big zip tie thru the fuselage straight up then tape or heat shrink the antenna to that. That will both hold it up and protect it at the same time. It will also still allow it to flex and move in a crash but be less likely to get yanked off. Do the same for receiver antennas.

Dipoles don't give the best of range so you will have better signal when you get the CP antennas from where ever you are getting those from. the range you said you got for just the stock dipole is about right for 200 mw. That's usually what I fly on my 5 inch quads which is further then I am willing to walk to go pick the darn thing up when I crash hehe. 25mw is the legal limit without a HAM and I believe they even further qualify that with it must be F.C.C. approved which means it is not radiated power so really its only about 5 mw being used which is totally freaking useless in the RC world.

Finally I would tuck the programming wire into the fuse until needed or not even put it on the camera at all when flying. Once you get it dialed it you should be able to get enough adjustment thru goggle contrast and brightness for most any conditions. I should be able to make that programming video this week end as its not supposed to be as hot and the worry over Tstorms will be low for walking around outside with exposed electronics.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I never saw a switch board, I’ll see what I can do for twisting the wires, I’ll have to tape the antenna to to wing to fly so it doesn’t get eaten, I got about 250 yards of range before it gets sketchy the way it’s in the pictures. That was on 200, I’m not sure what I’m suppose to run under without a ham.

you will get better range with a better antenna setup. I can do 150-200 yards on 25mW just fine maybe more, don't think I have had a VTX running over 100mWs.

and to my knowledge there is no 'under x power is OK without a HAM license', I believe even a pit mode (which is really low power, range like 2-5 yards tops) would need one.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
you will get better range with a better antenna setup. I can do 150-200 yards on 25mW just fine maybe more, don't think I have had a VTX running over 100mWs.

and to my knowledge there is no 'under x power is OK without a HAM license', I believe even a pit mode (which is really low power, range like 2-5 yards tops) would need one.
Yep. You will need technician class license to legally :sneaky: use it...

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Thank y’all so much, I’m going to fly it tomorrow morning, I’ve flown fpv rc airplane so it should be fine, (I dubbed banded a peice of junk woop to the top of a couple planes)

LitterBug

Techno Nut

This is correct. 99.9% of the vtxes on the market are not FCC approved which means a license is required.