FT EDGE 540 BUILD GROUP

Red Bull to Cliche?

• Total voters

K3V0

Elite member
I scratch built mine. It seemed a bit complicated at first and I had to re-cut a few pieces but I smiling more and more as it came together. 😁 It was a challenge but very satisfying at the end.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sooooo, I finally printed off the plans for another edge! I’ve built the standard edge and one at 75%, but they are getting old (so is the Ft-3D) so it’s time for another 3D plane! My one modification I plan on doing is double up the control surfaces similar to what @PoorManRC did on his P-40. It should give them more rigidity since that seemed to be an issue with my old edge. Ironing the sides might do the same thing with less weight, so we’ll see what I end up doing. And I might move the servo placement and do a double control rod style so when you move the elevator or rudder, it’s pushing and pulling the control surface. Again, that’s an idea I had since my 75% edge had weak rudder authority in one direction. I’ll be using a radial C pack (10x5 prop) and 1500 mah 3s packs although I can step up to a 1050 4s if it’s lacking power, however my overweight Bushwacker had unlimited vertical with the radial C pack, so I have high hopes. I’ll try to keep the build as light as possible.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Dang! Just checked out that new Umx turbo timber ! Looks super cool! I’m glad I’m in the middle of build-uary. The various plans, cut out foam pieces and electronics all laying out keeps me from impulse buying a factory built plane😆
Lol, I know - right? I’m hoping they come out with a UMX Timber X. I’m afraid I won’t be able to say no to that one... :LOL:;)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Alright, I took some time today to work on the edge since it was too rainy to maiden my kitfox and I got the edge mostly cut out! I decided to go with maker foam for this build, and so far I’m loving it! I will use hobby lobby foam bird for the wing spars and the motor mount though - it’ll give it a bit more strength!