FT Simple Storch - Beauty Shots

Tater76

I have a Cobra 2217/16 1180kv on my storch and it's way overkill! Turns it into a 3d really quick lol

wbvike

Sweet looking Storch's guys! Great job!

Hey wbvike. Thanks man! Everything was design in Photoshop using the FT as a guide so it fit just right. It was then printed on large sheets of tissue paper (13X30) and attached to each foam piece of a speed build kit before assembly. After everything was together, I hit it with some Minwax Ploycrylic for weatherproofing. This makes it a totally repeatable process.

Cool deal! I don't have Photoshop, so I would have to figure out another alternative. I'm currently flying the Tiny Trainer but did print and cut out the plans for the Simple Storch, but never got around to actually cutting the foam pieces out. I really like this style of plane right now, not sure why, but I do. I've built more than a few planes, mostly being the jets from RC Powers, but this one, once i build it, will have the biggest wingspan of them all!! The best part about your plane and the others is most people would have no idea that it was built by hand and would think it was store bought! Again, good job to everyone's designs on this thread!

Side note, what kind of adhesive did you use on the tissue paper?

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Side note, what kind of adhesive did you use on the tissue paper?

3M Repositionable spray (or equivalent) to attach the tissue to the carrier sheet for printing.
3M 77 spray (or equivalent) on the foam part to attach it to the tissue.

earthsciteach

Here's mine!

Attachments

• Photo on 6-24-15 at 3.08 PM.jpg
    Photo on 6-24-15 at 3.08 PM.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 12

mesolost

OMG! Anyone else feel like they just walked in on a murder scene?? I feel so sorry for that plane. -.- I wanna send the pilot a condolences bouquet. How? How did that happen??

earthsciteach

OMG! Anyone else feel like they just walked in on a murder scene?? I feel so sorry for that plane. -.- I wanna send the pilot a condolences bouquet. How? How did that happen??

Ha ha! I was flying and got caught in a sudden downpour. I tore the nose off in order to replace it. The rest of the plane is in decent shape. Decent enough, anyway.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Lots of inspiring art and designs in this thread! Makes me want to build a Storch so I can post one too. :)

mesolost

Do it! For the flight alone, you won't regret it. ^_^ And she's a work horse too. (You loose aerobatics when she's heavy though)

Tater76

How do you guys prefer to run the ailerons? A Y harness? Individual? I am trying to setup mine, and made a Y harness but I'm having issues with the throws. I'm wondering if it might be easier just to plug into two separate channels?

mesolost

If you run separate ailerons then you can do flaperons and differential. If you do the y harness then you can use separate flaps but that's more weight and power drain. It's preference. I do flaperons.

How do you guys prefer to run the ailerons? A Y harness? Individual? I am trying to setup mine, and made a Y harness but I'm having issues with the throws. I'm wondering if it might be easier just to plug into two separate channels?

I go with flaperons also and don't use a Y harness, I connect my other servo to the aux channel.

Cheers.

mesolost

Yep. Then on gear (ch5) I have a small brushed speed controller hooked to my lights. ^_^ A good radio will have flaperons setting and its manual will tell you what channel the second servo connects to.

Last edited:

Tater76

Ok, so I don't run flaps yet because I am a noob, and have no idea how to use them lol. I just hooked a Y harness up, and ran it into the Aileron channel. I have a Spektrum DX7, not an S if that helps. Is this setup wrong? The build video said that the aileron setup I have is for beginners, but I was a little confused. I flew it last night, and it seemed to work fine but I have nothing to base it off of lol.
Also, there was a solid breeze of 5-10mph, and the plane was very difficult to control. However, my FT F22 bucked the wind just fine. I guess it's that huge wing surface on the Storch? Anyway, I will stop hijacking the thread now, and try to post some pics of my Storch to get it back on track :)

defhermit

hey there all,

I realize this is not exactly on-topic but I figured it would be a good place to get the answers I'm looking for.

I'll likely try to at least get started building a storch this weekend. I don't yet have the power system components for it but I'd like to attempt to do as much of the build as possible this weekend.

Just want to assure that I have all the materials I will need.

DTFB, glue sticks obviously. Watching the build video I'll obviously need some wire for the landing gear, some popsicle sticks and/or paint stirrers, heavy duty pliers for wire bending... wheels...rubber bands....

are there any other parts or materials I will need that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance. If this plane works out it will be the first one that I try to make pretty, both in terms of keeping the build clean and tight as well as adding some artwork/paint/tape.

mesolost

Well spectrum has dual aileron setting so one of your ailerons goes to aileron and the other goes to ch6 or the flap channel. It's all automatic.

Tater76

Thanks Mesolost! I have been reading the manual for the DX7, and was confused by this but I will give it a try and split the harness.

@defhermit, The storch was my first build, and I regret choosing it for my first. After a failed maiden, I immediately built a nutball, FT flyer, and a delta. These were VERY rewarding, and super easy to fly! The nutball took literally an hour to build. That included printing the plans, taping them together, cutting it out, building the powerpod, etc. It is more fun than it looks, and I now have 3 nutballs in various forms. The Storch is an awesome looking traditional plane, but in my opinion, it is not a trainer.