FT Simple Storch - Beauty Shots

defhermit

Thanks Mesolost! I have been reading the manual for the DX7, and was confused by this but I will give it a try and split the harness.

@defhermit, The storch was my first build, and I regret choosing it for my first. After a failed maiden, I immediately built a nutball, FT flyer, and a delta. These were VERY rewarding, and super easy to fly! The nutball took literally an hour to build. That included printing the plans, taping them together, cutting it out, building the powerpod, etc. It is more fun than it looks, and I now have 3 nutballs in various forms. The Storch is an awesome looking traditional plane, but in my opinion, it is not a trainer.

I've also built the nutball, delta, flyer and a bloody wonder! And not to argue, but Bixler explained in a video that the ft storch was originally intended to BE the FT Trainer! Since they had promised three warbirds it got revamped into the storch to meet that deadline they had set for themselves.

Assuming you just meant that it isn't a trainer in terms of learning how to build, I do understand that. I think I've learned enough from my previous builds to do the storch justice...

buffalojoe426

Storch of the South, complete with monster truck wheels and an autographed wing.
storch.jpg

Tater76

Ahh defhermit I thought you might be a new pilot, but it looks like you have quite the hangar. I know it's considered a trainer, but I think if you have never flown or built a plane that it is a little on the harder to fly and build side. Of course that's just my opinion. It was my very first rc airplane and scratchbuild. I practiced on a simulator for a while before I worked up the courage to fly it, and quickly realized I was in over my head. I think alot of the veteran flyers forget how overwhelming flying 4 channels can be for a newbie lol. Especially a plane of this magnitude! My maiden flight of the Storch was absolutely terrifying and ugly.

That's why I switched back to the beginner series planes, and the F22. I just am not that comfortable with it yet. Heck, I'm still sorting out the best way to hook up the ailerons lol. I have to admit though, just the look of the plane hooked me. It brings me right back to being a little kid playing with toy super cubs. I think that is why I defiantly went straight for it as my first instead of the beginner series ;)

What are you going to use for landing gear wire? I used super thick coat hangar because the hobby shop was closed and I was impatient (maybe a little cheap too lol). I wouldn't recommend going that route because it fatigues easily.

defhermit

Ahh defhermit I thought you might be a new pilot, but it looks like you have quite the hangar. I know it's considered a trainer, but I think if you have never flown or built a plane that it is a little on the harder to fly and build side. Of course that's just my opinion. It was my very first rc airplane and scratchbuild. I practiced on a simulator for a while before I worked up the courage to fly it, and quickly realized I was in over my head. I think alot of the veteran flyers forget how overwhelming flying 4 channels can be for a newbie lol. Especially a plane of this magnitude! My maiden flight of the Storch was absolutely terrifying and ugly.

That's why I switched back to the beginner series planes, and the F22. I just am not that comfortable with it yet. Heck, I'm still sorting out the best way to hook up the ailerons lol. I have to admit though, just the look of the plane hooked me. It brings me right back to being a little kid playing with toy super cubs. I think that is why I defiantly went straight for it as my first instead of the beginner series ;)

What are you going to use for landing gear wire? I used super thick coat hangar because the hobby shop was closed and I was impatient (maybe a little cheap too lol). I wouldn't recommend going that route because it fatigues easily.

well, between my last post and now I went out trying to fly my bloody wonder and wrecked it. so I think I'm just going to build another bloody wonder. oh well.

Pat EO

Great Speed Build Kit - Very Nicely Done, Flite Test Team.

Here is my Storch as a first time RC person ...

Kit was impressive and complete. Build video was an excellent resource.

Thanks FT.

Well, time to get this 32.5oz all up bird in the air ...

DSC_2842.jpg DSC_2844-2.jpg DSC_2846.jpg DSC_2847.jpg

Last edited:

Corbarrad

The build video shows the Storch with a fixed tail skid, which works just fine if you don't do a lot of taxying.

The method pictured here seems to feature a caster wheel assembly plus the clever use of three bits of bbq skewer.
Both mini guinea and guinea pig have caster wheels in the front, you could draw inspiration from those build videos.
The pictures in this thread leave little to the imagination as far as the placement of the bbq skewers is concerned.

Pat EO

does the build video include how to put that steerable wheel on the back like that?

Video shows the BBQ photo150701.JPG skewer skid.

I didn't like the sound of the BBQ skewer against the pavement ... bent a wire, used hot glue, found an old plastic spindle gear that acts as a secure pivot glued up into tail.

have not tried it yet, tho ...

CG is still good with a slight tip forward as measured from 55mm from leading edge.

defhermit

nice! thanks for the info.

while I'm at it, can you suggest what kind of wire I should pick up to do the landing gear? preferably something I can get at Home Depot?

maybe you could list any other materials I might need? I'm planning on getting started building the storch in the very near future. I have all the obvious stuff, and electronics are in the mail...

mesolost

I used coat hangers for my landing gear. They do bend easily but they act as shock absorbers for those rough touchdowns. ^_^

Pat EO

I was surprised at the gauge and hardness of the wire included in the SBK. The lengths of wire rod i purchased before i decided to get the kit was maybe 70% the diameter.

defhermit

I have the landing gear that I bent for the swappable 3 pack, but I don't want to repurpose that for the Storch. I'm not sure if it is even enough wire to do it with.

Home Depot doesn't sell straight, rigid wire like this. I just got back.

Anyone know where to get wire for landing gears?

jk6stringer

FF16 Here I come!
Music wire is a great choice. I got some last summer at my local hobby shop, and a music store actually carry it, I think technically its for pianos? but most of the searching I found online for music wire related to hobby needs.

If you can wait a few days I got a a lot more for my money when I used the link from FT. I grabbed the push rods and landing gear for like $15 or so. 15-20 long lengths of each to boot!

Push rods:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s502.htm

Landing Gear:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s505.htm

jk6stringer

FF16 Here I come!
Oh, andy guys wonderful planes here! I hope to see them next week at FliteFest!

When you guys paint them do yo paint the cut sections prior to assembly? I usually just color the wing tips because all the inner sections have tape or hot glue so I cant really paint them.

Oh, andy guys wonderful planes here! I hope to see them next week at FliteFest!

When you guys paint them do yo paint the cut sections prior to assembly? I usually just color the wing tips because all the inner sections have tape or hot glue so I cant really paint them.

I painted mine after I built it and maidened it :) Like many people here, I think its bad luck to paint before you maiden :) so I went with flying it for a few weeks before painting to get the feel for the plane.

Thanks.

jk6stringer

FF16 Here I come!
Good to know, so are there any tips to painting over the packing tape and glue? Ive actually never tried so maybe its a non issue.

I could see how painting fist could definitely be a curse!

Good to know, so are there any tips to painting over the packing tape and glue? Ive actually never tried so maybe its a non issue.

I could see how painting fist could definitely be a curse!

For my base coat I just used some cheap grey primer spray from the our local DIY shop, (Bauhaus in Czech Republic) and since I was doing winter camo the grey was my main colour. I didn't have any issue with painting on the glue or packaging tape but in some places where the 2 wing half's join the paint flaked off a bit from the tape once I started using the plane but this is not an issue for me.

Thanks.

Good to know, so are there any tips to painting over the packing tape and glue? Ive actually never tried so maybe its a non issue

I've been having great luck following the "Min wax" method where you paint on, then wipe off the oil based min wax after the plane is built but before painting. I then use cheap craft acrylic paint.