FT Simple Storch - BUILD

HeatFlyer

-This plane looks awesome. I have it almost done. What do you guys think about Emax GT2215-09 1180KV 2.25 lbs thrust for the Storch? What size prop? I got this motor from Lazertoys for a Duster.

I will be flying mine on a Mystery 1400kv, same as my FT P-51 flies on. 8x3.8 prop. I would guess you could go 9x5 to 10x4, do you have a watt meter?

Corbarrad

I have a go-pro and all the FPV items I need, does anyone think the Storch would make a decent FPV platform?

The Storch would certainly carry the weight and the gopro would probably find a very safe position either on the hood or between the landing gear legs. Only thing I'd be concerned about is that wherever you put the camera you'll always have the prop in view.

HeatFlyer

The Storch would certainly carry the weight and the gopro would probably find a very safe position either on the hood or between the landing gear legs. Only thing I'd be concerned about is that wherever you put the camera you'll always have the prop in view.

Yea I thought about that also, I have a Mikeys FPV plane built for FPV just need to maiden it and trim it first. Maybe the Storch will just get a keychain cam. I also want to make a item drop on the Storch like the Breakfast Bombers. I have so many R/C things going on right now, plane catapult,Storch,FPV,FT-22. I swear I have R/CADD. :p

HeatFlyer

I do not have a watt meter. I have a 30 amp ESC

I would try a 9x5 to start, that should be in the neighborhood. If you can get a watt meter then by all means do so. They are literally worth their weight in gold! With it you can see if you are over-amping your esc.

Flak Bait

A
Yea I thought about that also, I have a Mikeys FPV plane built for FPV just need to maiden it and trim it first. Maybe the Storch will just get a keychain cam. I also want to make a item drop on the Storch like the Breakfast Bombers. I have so many R/C things going on right now, plane catapult,Storch,FPV,FT-22. I swear I have R/CADD. :p

Hi, my name is Brent and I too have RC/ADD......Let me know where the meeting place is. :cool:

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
It was double the bend line measurement josh referenced in the video. Practice with a clothes hanger first if your worried. I lightly marked center on the bottom of the fuse with a pencil and used tape to mark rod measurements.
Justin

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
It was double the bend line measurement josh referenced in the video. Practice with a clothes hanger first if your worried. I lightly marked center on the bottom of the fuse with a pencil and used tape to mark rod measurements.
Justin

Almost . . .

Look carefully . . . he lays it against the ruler and in a frame or two (unfocused) the end is at 16". the bend is slightly favoring one side so the gear will tilt forward -- short side to the front.

pavel4n

What kind of material is it and where to buy such material (possibly in Europe - Czech Republic) for it for such nice strach build planes, please?

Corbarrad

What kind of material is it and where to buy such material (possibly in Europe - Czech Republic) for it for such nice strach build planes, please?

The stuff is called foam board. The brand that flite test uses isn't available in europe as far as I know (I believe it's called Adams Readyboard, but feel free to correct me.

It's basically a layer of extruded polystyrene foam sandwiched between two layers of paper, an overall thickness of 4.5mm and 5mm will work fine without the need to modify the plans.

Stuff like this is primarily sold in arts and crafts stores. The use i knew it from is building architectural models... so if you know someone who's an architect or studying to be one they might know where to get it locally.

I'm not to sure about online sources outside of germany, although I believe modulor.de and boesner.de(sorry, can't find it on their shop page at the moment. I'm sure I bought some a while ago at my local shop...) will ship inside all of europe. The price is significantly higher over here, though.

Last edited:

Polo

Paint sticks

Hi all. I have no idea what paint stick are. I mean those wood reinforcements used in ft mustang too. Is there any alternative?

Thaks

earthsciteach

Where do you live, Polo? The paint sticks are the ones that are used to stir house paints that come in gallon sized containers. Just a wooden stick that can be picked up for free at the paint department of a hardware store.

Polo

Thanks Teach!! I have asked in a couple of local paint stores, and there isn't here in Chile(southamerica). Im going to to ask in others.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
@earthsciteach Can you measure one of those paint sticks? People might be able to find replacements if they know the dimensions and perhaps the weight.

earthsciteach

No problem! The thicker sticks are 3.5 cm wide by 6 mm thick by about 40 cm long. I think that is what Josh is using in the build video. The wood is just pine - not hardwood be any means.

Kennethan

How big of a motor is to big for the Storch? I have a NTM 42-48 650kv laying in my parts bin just waiting to be used again. Am I just going to pull the power pod out of the body with a 14" prop and a 4S?

Thanks,
Kennethan

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
How big of a motor is to big for the Storch? I have a NTM 42-48 650kv laying in my parts bin just waiting to be used again. Am I just going to pull the power pod out of the body with a 14" prop and a 4S?

Thanks,
Kennethan

You'll be okay as long as you reinforce the wing more. Add a real spar and you should be fine.