Help! Ft Turbo Gremlin build

RossFPV

Im thinking about getting a gremlin and i was wondering if flite test still does $50 gremlin builds, does anyone know if they do?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Im thinking about getting a gremlin and i was wondering if flite test still does $50 gremlin builds, does anyone know if they do?

No. As all things the prices have gone up. BUT... with the Turbo Gremlin came power upgrades so the electronics are more up to date and better then the OG kit. So the new power pack is ~$80 plus another $12 to $20 depending on choice of frame.

https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-g-version-2-0/

Im still rocking my OG Gremlin on the Bixler frame. Its had a few changes since that pic was taken buit basically the same just updated camera and VTX.

CF 6.jpg

RossFPV

And i have a question, Is there a certain amp required for the receiver? (I use flysky if that makes a difference)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
And i have a question, Is there a certain amp required for the receiver? (I use flysky if that makes a difference)
the receiver has nothing to do with current, but you would need a serial receiver and at least 6 channels [I guess at least 5, but practically you need more]

RossFPV

Can someone name all the parts i need? So far i know i need the frame, power pack, battery, receiver, camera, and i already have a remote. Did i miss anything?

RossFPV

Im not sure if it is or not... Im planing on getting the runcam swift mini. Could you explain how to tell the difference or say yes or no?

JasonK

Im not sure if it is or not... Im planing on getting the runcam swift mini 2. Could you explain how to tell the difference or say yes or no?
it would be marketed as an all in one and you would see an antenna sticking out of the back of it. that looks like just a camera.

RossFPV

For fpv I'm going to get the RunCam Micro Swift 3 V2 camera and RunCam TX200U vtx. Is this a good choice for long-ish range?

JasonK

For fpv I'm going to get the RunCam Micro Swift 3 V2 camera and RunCam TX200U vtx. Is this a good choice for long-ish range?

I wouldn't worry about 'long rangish' on a gremlin, I suspect that your looking at 3-4 minutes flight times and fairly sure sub-5 minutes.

If your actually building something for long rang, you want the max allowed 1W in your VTX with a quality VTX antenna, neither of which your getting with that vtx. you could swap out for a different antenna and geting a good CP one would definately improve your video quality, but that is still only 25 or 200mW, which, I would expect 25mw to be all you need for a quad the size of gremlin - and 200mW definitely would get you all the range that your going to be able to fly on that.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
These are not long range quads mate. They fly great and do well in a lot of conditions but they weigh nothing and if winds are over 10mph you really need to have it tuned great or be really good on the sticks. Besides trying to find these buried in the front lawn if you didnt mow this week can be a challenge lest alone having to travel any real distance to find it.

Depending how nuts you fly.. Ill say you can look for 6 to 9 minutes of just cruising or under a minute and a half ripping around like a wild man. I have videos with 12 to 14 minutes powered on time with 3s 450mah packs. Thats flight time and walk time to and from crashes. Again the Turbo kit has more power so that will vary as well. 50mw is my normal on mine as I just run dipole on both the quad and goggles for that.

The inverted motors on the rear is to save bent shaft damage from tumbling it across the ground as I beat the bajeebus outta that bugger and it just looks at me like.. "Lets do that again!!!" Probably why its still all OG parts baring one esc that got wet and let the magic smoke out cause I flew too early and the dew was heavy that morning.

As for the Red. That is simply Testors model paint over super glue I run around fame edges. I use it on all my frames.

Right side 2.jpg

Final weight.jpg

I also use metallic green and purple as well on some builds. In fact the 2nd pic above is now in green.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
One more question, are there certain frames that are to small for a turbo gremlin?

I just looked at both the store AND the YT channel.. all reference to the "Turbo Gremlin" have gone missing. I wonder if that was because Alex had the rights to it and when he left they could no longer use it?

To answer the question I believe that the kit power pack G is matched to a two or three inch set up. I just went back and looked and I apologies as I thought that came out with an f4 fc. It has an F3 flight controller. Those are no longer supported in beta flight so if you already ordered it you can still use it you will just have to go back and get the last version of beta flight that supported F3 flight controllers off github.

If you didn't get the power pack G already then I suggest looking at the newer HGLRC stacks. I use them on my three inch builds and they kick major butt. I did an entire write up on a build here.. If anything there is a lot to learn in that about building and set up along with some things others do not do with their builds.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...-the-oberon-ob-1-3-inch-quad-evolution.65728/

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If i use the f3 (it would be alot cheaper) would i need to go to version 4.1.0?

Yes I believe that 4.1.0 was the last version to support f3.

That said you ONLY need to have that to flash the flight controller and do initial set up. Once thats been done you can still change pids and rates thru any betaflight version. You just wont have access to fancy filters and such. I never use most of the new stuff in betaflight anyways no matter what I fly. Just the base filters, air mode, and I think I forgot to turn off anti gravity my last build and every thing else is tuned thru pids and rates for me. Also I think I ran multishot esc protocol on mine vs Dshot 300 as it was faster even though its older.

I don't by cheap crappy components with bad tolerances requiring all that filtering. A GOOD carbon frame minimal soft mounting the Flight controller stack and good knowledge how to tune is all that is needed.

RossFPV

Im going to use all flitetest other than camera/vtx, battery, and receiver. Thank you so much for all the help!