FT Versa DLG Prototype.

crazywelderguy

So, I will start out with an apology. Mainly because I am new at this whole forum thing, but also, because I rushed this build. And, well, it shows. However, I believe I had some small success.

I have been flying RC for about 3 years, but have always gotten my planes 2nd hand, and have only had to do repairs. So this is my first ever, DLG, glider, foamie, and scratchbuild. I got so excited from reading a thread started by another forum member, Gordie, I printed the FT versa planes, used some foam I had from a different hobby, and test it out.

Mostly the Versa was build to the plans, at least in terms of foam construction. I wanted to mount the servos externally, because I didn't expect the airframe to last very long. I also used some dowels (admittedly too thin) in addition to the foam spars to hopefully protect the foam during launch (that was probably one of the few things that actually worked).

Enough boring build stuff though. Here is a very short clip from the 1/2 hour of I got to test the wing before I broke it (again I apologize, because as you will see, launching it didn't always go well). I will try to post pictures soon.

let me know what you think, and feel free to give suggestions for improvements, I know I already have a long list of things I am going to change!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQCl6TuBII

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Nice! I found on my standard build powered (pusher) VersaWing, it glides very nicely. I flew it for the first time yesterday, and would get it up to altitude, chop the throttle, and glide it around quite a while. I am grateful I have a motor on mine, so I don't have to learn to discus launch it! Nice job on the prototype and launches, it looked like you had a great glide on that wing.

I found my powered VersaWing launches easily with an overhead launch and 75% throttle. I posted a video that includes some motor-off gliding on the main FT-Versa Build thread.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Welcome to the forum, guy! One thing that might help since it seemed to have the CG right is a little reflex. On wings a little up elevator trim is useful and indeed is sometimes necessary to get them to fly well. Other than that, it looks like a fun way to fly the Versa!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Just looks like you need more practice throwing. You want to throw it straight at the horizon. I agree with xuzme720 that a little up elevator might be needed.

It looks like you have a peg, but I can't tell for sure. But even if you do, it looks like it's in to the wing a bit. Earlier when I first attempted discus launching I noticed a huge difference between using a peg and just grabbing the wing tip. At least for me it's more comfortable if the peg is out as far as possible. But if you have a peg and it's comfortable for you, then definitely leave it.

Keep practicing and throw it slow if need be. It's better to do a slow perfect throw than a fast bad one.

crash bandicoot

I tried to make my own DLG too. But it wasn't designed the best. It also lasted a half hour, but it was fun, and helped me learn my technique. I ended up buying a Great Planes Fling DLG for $140. If you use your servo and reciver from yours you would have a DLG ready!