FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
No elevator?! How does that work? Guess I didn't look close enough...
The Mara looks to work much like the Prandtl D wing, see my build thread for some more details. in that the wingtip has a Forward twist - Approx 2-4°, as well as dihedral. In the maiden vid, you can notice the last throw have a BAD turn but as it comes down it levels, and turns. This produces a forward thrust causing the outer tips to move faster, and have Proverse yaw tendencies, not AdVerse Yaw Typically seen in aircraft (I see it big time in my Simple Cub.)
I hope I explained it well enough and correctly. This reminds me that I need to go back at the Pradtl-D wing.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
The Mara looks to work much like the Prandtl D wing, see my build thread for some more details. in that the wingtip has a Forward twist - Approx 2-4°, as well as dihedral. In the maiden vid, you can notice the last throw have a BAD turn but as it comes down it levels, and turns. This produces a forward thrust causing the outer tips to move faster, and have Proverse yaw tendencies, not AdVerse Yaw Typically seen in aircraft (I see it big time in my Simple Cub.)
I hope I explained it well enough and correctly. This reminds me that I need to go back at the Pradtl-D wing.
Now you've got me trying to figure out exactly what the airfoil is so that I can build one.

Legendary member
Now you've got me trying to figure out exactly what the airfoil is so that I can build one.
I think I understand about the wingtip twist producing proverse yaw, eliminating the need for a v-stab or split elevons as on Northrop's planes. It also results in increased pitch stability, (although I'm not sure I would try to slope soar one without elevons) and lift generation along the wingspan is a bell curve rather than an ellipse, resulting in drastically increased efficiency. The shape of the wing is twisted slightly forward at the wingtips and wing roots, with slightly increased angle of attack along the rest of the wing. Am I understanding correctly?

This photo shows the change in wing pitch throughout the wingspan:
prantwingnasa.jpg

Legendary member
Oh, I micro is coming... just haven't figured out how exactly :unsure:
I was going to build mine from your 72" plans exactly, I was going to use the tiny whoop system to keep weight down. Although on second thought that'll be way underpowered, I'll figure something out. Just a smaller motor I can run off a 300 mAh. What was your power system?

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Nice! Never attended but I have had *a few* drinks there... 😋

I'm up in N.E. corner, black hills/bear lodge area... have at least a couple trees to block the wind once in a while! 😄

hopefully you made it to the world famous Buckhorn Bar? i know the family that has owned that place for years. regrettably, Mike the son that had been in charge died in a car crash last year. one of the most unique places full of unique people a person could ever visit. ;)

laters,

me :cool:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@mrjdstewart Thats a shame to hear. Been a few years since I was over that way. I still make it down to Cheyenne several times a year... unique people around here, that's for sure.

Well since the very theme of this thread is, "off topic"

I'll share this with someone else who might appreciate it...

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
gotta love ays like these. go out to the field and come back with a brand new airplane. :p

guy who bought it said he got it on sale but after reading about issues some people have had with it, decided he would just crash it. so, he just gave it to me. :D

has a built in flight controller along with the Safe and ASX3. not that i will use that nonsense but...

20200111_121124.jpg

on another note, had some issues with my new FT radial motor today on the mini arrow. was flying FPV and hauling butt when i lost power. luckily i was high enough that i was able to glide back to the field and land. upon inspection the motor was not spinning up. nothing was hot, not the motor, esc, or battery. i unplugged and tried again and was able to get the motor to turn, but not anywhere close to full power. this was only the second flight on the power setup and to say the least i was pretty bummed, especially for the price paid. got home and started to mess with it, plugged in a new 4S battery and magically everything worked again. this doesn't make me happy. intermittent issues like this drive me crazy. i don't like putting an airplane in the air that i'm not 100% sure about. does anyone know if FT has some sort of fail safe or something else that could cause this? i was running their recommended setup so i would hope that i wasn't pushing the power setup to hard.

laters,

me :cool:

Wildthing

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE @mach1 rc , forgot what threads these were on but my two cameras showed up. @BATTLEAXE very similar to mine but it does have it's differences . Menu is slightly shorty for options and of course this one doesn't have the wifi ability . Battery is the same so I can use the same charger for all 3 batteries. But for $20.00 it is a good backup camera for me.

@mach1 rc just charging up the battery and then I will see if it works, $10.00 is well worth the gamble and she is light,

Waiting now on my cheap sd card order

2020_0111_145159_001.JPG

mach1 rc

Master member
@BATTLEAXE @mach1 rc , forgot what threads these were on but my two cameras showed up. @BATTLEAXE very similar to mine but it does have it's differences . Menu is slightly shorty for options and of course this one doesn't have the wifi ability . Battery is the same so I can use the same charger for all 3 batteries. But for $20.00 it is a good backup camera for me.

@mach1 rc just charging up the battery and then I will see if it works, $10.00 is well worth the gamble and she is light,

Waiting now on my cheap sd card order

View attachment 154138
Those are some cool cameras😎👍 mine is actually the SQ-11. right now I'm having trouble because the computer I use won't pick up that there's a sd card in it and I dont know how to get it on my phone😳