FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

ScratchBuildMast

Elite member
4F3515DC-A4BC-4D46-B187-CD5786379119.jpeg

So basically this?

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
While building the Arrowhead I started to have a bit of an idea, which was reinforced by somebody saying they don't like the lack of rudder control on wings. I agree, it bugs me too but they just look so cool! This morning I checked out @FoamyDM 's Mara which was pretty similar to what I had in mind and really hit the idea home. The Arrowhead is a tailed delta, so why not build a tailed flying wing? The idea I came up with is a flying wing glider with a v-stab mounted on the end of an extension, like the empennage on the Bleriot XI.
Bleriot_vinkar.JPG

I live in the LA basin and the Santa Ana winds come once a year which makes for great slope soaring. I think this would be interesting to try as a glider. Here's a quick 3-view of what I had in mind I whipped up:
TailedFlyingWing.jpg
It would use elevons in conjunction with a working rudder, although it could easily be built with an elevator. I drew it without one because I'm running low on servos at the minute. I actually stole the wing design from my Triplane Flying Wing, its the top and bottom wings. It's essentially a Versa with only half the chord length.
268710_248ebcb988d7151b772c40cf3abfb3f2.jpg
If anyone else wants to give this a try by all means do! I'm curious to see what y'all come up with.