FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Yesterday was my wife's birthday.

She got a nice necklace, some nice cards and got to go wherever she wanted.

She wanted to go fishing.

I took her up to the back side of Pikes Peak to fish the South Slope Recreation area and McReynolds reservoir at <> 10,500 ft above sea level. We floated some grizzley hackled peacocks with a bobber off a spinning rod hoping to catch rising browns and laketrout from our belly boats.

She absolutely slayed it. She caught 18 fish (catch and release barbless) all of them over 14" and two over 18" in about 4 hours.

We grabbed some BBQ at Russ's bar and grill on the mountain in Divide CO and made it back home by 3:00.

This morning we are sore and still pretty wiped out. Kicking the belly boats for 4 hours at that altitude really wears you out. My wife can out-kick most 20 year olds at high altitude but the morning after is always a reminder that she did it with 60 year old knees.

I doubt a cell phone would work up there. Of course, drones of any kind are prohibited and I don't like taking a camera because I'd rather "live in the moment" than worry about framing a shot. So, sorry, no photos exist.

Still, I had to take a few this morning to pen this tribute to my wonderful wife who chose fishing the high country with me as the place she would most like to spend her day. Every way I look at it, when I married her, I married up.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like you are a very lucky man mate. Most woman dont like to cook fish let alone want to drag the old man out to go catch em their self. You definitely scored big when you found you wife mate.

Wish her a happy belated bday from me.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Working on rehabing my first 3D printer into something with reliable, reproducible results and with the capability of supporting many more filament types. Bye Bye proprietary junk cartridges and cheezy hot end. Hello updated direct drive and hot end! Just need to find the proper size compression spring, and waiting on a 3x10x4 bearing for the idler. Then comes bigger better flying and hovering stuffs!
HotEnd.jpg

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Ben's f-16 footage from FF got me motivated to finally break down my 3 year old viggen. He just released the beta plans today so move them over.
IMG_20180721_201748.jpg IMG_20180722_090234.jpg IMG_20180722_090242.jpg

Made a diy little LED light for my Canon, try and get rid of some of the shadows.
IMG_20180722_090206.jpg IMG_20180722_090212.jpg

First time using iron on laminate like for balsa planes. Seems to want a little more heat than my clear laminate and when you hit it with a heat gun later it tightens up very nicely.
IMG_20180722_140919.jpg IMG_20180723_070225.jpg

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Is that the HobbyKing iron on film? Looks pretty good :D
Yes it is. Happy with it so far. I usually use 5mil iron on laminate. It is thicker and you dont have to worry too much about the heat. This colored stuff seems to have a much narrower band of heat that it is happy with. I cant leave my iron just sitting for a while, i need to turn it down while its not in use or else it totally screws up the covering. Than turn it back up once its in use.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Yesterday was my wife's birthday.

She got a nice necklace, some nice cards and got to go wherever she wanted.

She wanted to go fishing.

I took her up to the back side of Pikes Peak to fish the South Slope Recreation area and McReynolds reservoir at <> 10,500 ft above sea level. We floated some grizzley hackled peacocks with a bobber off a spinning rod hoping to catch rising browns and laketrout from our belly boats.

She absolutely slayed it. She caught 18 fish (catch and release barbless) all of them over 14" and two over 18" in about 4 hours.

We grabbed some BBQ at Russ's bar and grill on the mountain in Divide CO and made it back home by 3:00.

This morning we are sore and still pretty wiped out. Kicking the belly boats for 4 hours at that altitude really wears you out. My wife can out-kick most 20 year olds at high altitude but the morning after is always a reminder that she did it with 60 year old knees.

I doubt a cell phone would work up there. Of course, drones of any kind are prohibited and I don't like taking a camera because I'd rather "live in the moment" than worry about framing a shot. So, sorry, no photos exist.

Still, I had to take a few this morning to pen this tribute to my wonderful wife who chose fishing the high country with me as the place she would most like to spend her day. Every way I look at it, when I married her, I married up.
Wow, what a nice write-up! All except the catch and release part (I dilike doing all that work without getting to eat something). Kidding aside, we men can be self-centered jerks.. Realizing how blessed we are with our better halves is a good thing and then we must rezact appropriately.

Thanks for the encouragement.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
This isn't directly RC related, nor is it fully off-topic, but figured folks here who live on the West Coast / California / Santa Clara area would be interested in a free STM Developers Conference in September. Their electronics/hardware is what powers a lot of our RC stuff, and here's a chance to learn about such things like how to program ESC's to drive brushless motors, read sensor values (gyro, accelerometer, time of flight optical sensors, barometers, etc), NFC, bluetooth, etc.

Anyhow here's a link to the agenda:
https://www.st.com/content/st_com/e...2018/agenda.html?ecmp=tt7709_us_enews_jul2018

As with all ST developer conferences, if you register for a "hands on" seminar, you get a free development kit (you'll need to bring a computer with the SDK preinstalled so there's some homework to do)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Of course I want to jump on this as bravely as a man jumping on a grenade but I have trouble planning something and seeing it through. I have trouble planning a trip to the bathroom without it become a dire multitask operation.

But, if I were to go for it I think I would do the Mig-31 Foxfire, that or one of the planes from Stealth.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Of course I want to jump on this as bravely as a man jumping on a grenade but I have trouble planning something and seeing it through. I have trouble planning a trip to the bathroom without it become a dire multitask operation.

But, if I were to go for it I think I would do the Mig-31 Foxfire, that or one of the planes from Stealth.

Just go for it! Stop thinking about it and go for it! (from one who knows ;)).

You'll get all the support, encouragement, (and if necessary) harassment you need to get it done (eventually).

DamoRC