FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
I crashed my 94" MXS. I took off and made a rookie mistake, my engine sagged and I kept the throttle at 3/4 causing it to quit. I couldn't get it to slow down and it floated off the end of the runway and flipped destroying my counter balance. My GP RV-4 landed and pulled the hinges out on the rudder and ripped the tail wheel off breaking the bottom of the rudder. I got the first flight on my goblin and it flew amazing! I got like 15 flights, and broke the nose off, but it is all ready to go again
Ouch! Glad to hear your goblin is ready to go again! I know what it's like to have a nose rip off, then repair and go for weeks yet(y). How does the goblin handle by the way? I assume it would be extremely pitchy?

OliverW

Legendary member
Ouch! Glad to hear your goblin is ready to go again! I know what it's like to have a nose rip off, then repair and go for weeks yet(y). How does the goblin handle by the way? I assume it would be extremely pitchy?
The landing was a little bit rough heheh. The goblin flew smooth, and even with rates maxed out it was not too pitchy. With FT's recommended amount of reflex, I was holding full down to try end level it out on the maiden!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Back after a brilliant day of flying. All maidens completed successfully but annoyingly the camera decided not to record anything. The Outlaw 250 was as noisy as expected and flew great. It doesn't have any real speed bit is so much fun pootling around at a metre or two.
The C-160 needed 30gms added to the none but otherwise flew gracefully and completely controllably.
Broke the tip of my right wing on the FT Goblin. Easy fix!!!
The Bloody Wonder I made for my friend, John, flew perfectly and he was over the moon with it.
Worked out why I didn't have any video....it was in picture mode...Duh!!!!
Still, got one nice picture of the C-160 ready for the off.
2016_0303_200911_003._webjpg.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Pretty bummed my V lancer airframe got smashed in a freak accident...also a bit burnt out on building that fuselage and wing shape all over again, so I think I'll revisit it later, and try something new for now. This is a really rough sketch of my next project, not really the exact proportions and all. This is the AET version. I have though up a RET one as well. It has space for a camera in the front wing mount.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
I will probably actually end up going with the RET variant, because it's simpler and trimmer with the motor in the back, as it allows me to use a front wing elevator that will work in reverse, sort of like the old Mignet designs, except those had the whole front wing act as elevator.

Hoomi

Master member
I finished assembling the new wing for the Sensei. Next step will be repairing the fuselage (the tail is currently just taped in place). I ended up having the cut the square spar in the wing mount way down, as it wouldn't allow the center to meet properly. What I may do to help insure the wing has enough strength, is to pick up either a hardwood dowel with enough flex to insert through the old center spar, and extend farther up the wing, or else a fiberglass spar. Fiberglass will be stronger, while wood is easier to find. Granted, I could just pick up a bike flag from Walmart, and cut the flagpole down for what I need.

My wife found a nice Phoenix design she can cut out of self-adhesive vinyl, so I can decorate it appropriately.

I need to warm up the foam, as there is a crease on the left side of the fuselage just forward of the cockpit that needs straightened. I'm going to swap the rudder servo with the hatch servo for now, and pull the cowl to check the motor mount (looks like the prop has more right-deflection than it should). I have the good Zap-o foam safe CA, but I may use something that takes a bit longer to set to glue the tail back into place, so I have a better chance of making sure it's aligned properly.
Fawkes 1.jpg
Fawkes 2.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Going over the feasibility of the tandem and rethinking. Not many resources to tell me where the CG should be, and even then, a lot of arguments that tandem wings aren't very efficient and don't give you much besides looking cool. I think this project would be a bit more work then it's worth, so I'm doing a cool Nutball mod instead. Airliner style fuselage with straight pusher and tailplane. I can dihedral the entire main wing, and the nutball extremely low wing loading can let me use a huge battery like 1300-1600, that and the little bit of extra nose can easily bring the CG just where it should be even with the rear pusher.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Going with a more basic tractor for the tailed Nutball. Have everything drawn out. I'll post when it's built.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Was given this on Saturday, it was a bit of a mess but with some TLC that I gave it I think it will fly. Extra big motor compared to the recommended - it may be rather fast!!!
View attachment 134958 View attachment 134959 View attachment 134960 View attachment 134961
That's a light plane, but looks like it can handle the bit of extra wing loading easy, and I'm sure you've tweaked the CG accordingly...so nothing wrong with a big motor if you want to go fast👍. Some people fly pusher park jet sized craft at 80-100 MPH, and larger models much faster...don't think I'm there in skill yet, and just don't have a big enough flying field for regular use. I have no way of measuring it for now, but doubt my little delta plane can get near that fast, but definitely no slouch on full throttle. Have fun and let us know how she flies with that beast of a motor!

OliverW

Legendary member
Killed the goblin. I had about 2 and a half hours of flight on it. Nailed a goal post going half throttle. A direct hit to the servo which screamed and got REALLY hot.
20190701_100510.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
Tailed nutball rig looks funny and has a lot of dihedral, maybe too much...we'll see. This one will be interesting! Prop is on just for reference now. It is backwards because it is a clockwise pusher. Will change before flight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
This plane is sketchy for acouple reasons. It has a bit of nose down on thrust test and dihedrals might be a bit too drastic. Gave it some up elevator trim. Other than that the idea is one I think could be really good. We will see what happens with maiden hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
So the nose-down I felt on the tailed Nutball during thrust tests(and added trim for) is fake news. I wasn't sure this crazy plane would fly, but it did, although the first flight was wacky and could hardly get it to stop climbing and vertically stalling and torque rolling vertically and stuff. I brought it down light enough, took away the up trim and added a barely noticeable hair of down, and this is the result:

It definitely has just a bit too extreme a dihedral. The banking is sort of ungainly and tumbly at times, but she always rights herself. Turning wider is a little awkward some times because there's some resistance there, probably adverse yaw or something from the extreme dihedrals. Despite these flaws, the plane actually handles very well! It is a bit more like a standard trainer plane than a stock Nutball, just like I intended. An optimized version with a milder dihedral and other small changes will be a big hit, and I plan to work on that soon, but for now, I'll fly this beast as much as I can and learn more.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, all sorts of planes where I live. Edwards airbase out past those mountains just a 15 minute drive. Downtown is all the aerospace stuff, Lockheed and Northrop. My town has a neighborhood called Skypark that almost every house has a hanger, so lots of privately owned small planes of all types out here. Cesnas, some cool older twin engine I've spotted a couple times, I've seen one guy doing stunts, and then theres this Long Ez In the above vid that passes over the area often. I really hope for their sake that's an easier flying plane in real full scale:LOL:, when it comes to foam board, I feel safer with that ridiculous contraption I built than I probably would with a Long Ez.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Deleted old update, will condense here with good quality footage. Going to call it TNB(tailed Nutball, or trainer Nutball). I swapped out the 5x4x6 prop for a 5x5.3x5(standard Raycorp, Gemfan Hulkie 5x5.5x3 is probably a bit much prop for 1806) and it seems more efficient. I will test this further. Once I got the plane dialed in and the new prop on, I didn't mind the effects of the extreme dihedral that much.That was mostly just getting used to its handling and adjusting my piloting to maximize the plane's strengths and cover for its flaws. It's a bit of a funky flyer, but definitely not a sketchy one. It is a very mild, fun flyer, and with a couple small adjustments, I would definitely recommend it as a first plane or trainer, as it flies a lot more like my Hobby Zone Champ with just a hint of standard Nutball.

I managed to get some awesome footage of the plane dialed in with the new prop and an 850 battery. The camera is dead on and barely misses a beat here and there. I really get a feel for the plane in this video, learning to make my piloting flow with its particular handling characteristics and test its capabilities. The type of swooping turn, where you dive into it then pull up out of it, it does those better than anything.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
So the nose-down I felt on the tailed Nutball during thrust tests(and added trim for) is fake news. I wasn't sure this crazy plane would fly, but it did, although the first flight was wacky and could hardly get it to stop climbing and vertically stalling and torque rolling vertically and stuff. I brought it down light enough, took away the up trim and added a barely noticeable hair of down, and this is the result:

It definitely has just a bit too extreme a dihedral. The banking is sort of ungainly and tumbly at times, but she always rights herself. Turning wider is a little awkward some times because there's some resistance there, probably adverse yaw or something from the extreme dihedrals. Despite these flaws, the plane actually handles very well! It is a bit more like a standard trainer plane than a stock Nutball, just like I intended. An optimized version with a milder dihedral and other small changes will be a big hit, and I plan to work on that soon, but for now, I'll fly this beast as much as I can and learn more.

I call that flight a success, well done.

You could tape on some underside rails (or wing tips) to help keep air on the wing. You also could be slightly tail heavy.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
So plans for the V-Sliver are in the making thanks to @Grifflyer ! I will be working on polishing up the TNB design, by starting a thread to get community input on how to best perfect it, which will be fun and lead to a great end product. That will be my last RET design for a while, since I really want to break into AET for full roll control, and maybe do something with elevons some time down the road. For AET, the V-Lancer AET variant of the Sliver with a tail will be the first project, with a high likelihood of a pusher BAC TSR-2 to follow. This is all with motors and electronics I already have. The next real purchase I make will be for some sort of EDF setup.