FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

Vimana89

Legendary member
Tons of wind. Looking to build a small plane with my remaining FB scraps, something mighty mini size. If I have enough foam, I'll try for a BAC-TSR-2 pusher. This is a cool looking cold war classic that got shafted by politics. It's a bomber but handles like a fighter. AET and anhedral wingtips for plenty of roll capability! This should be easy to get the CG where I want it as a straight pusher without using extension cables in a mighty mini sized air frame. All the nose in front and wing in the back will let me keep the battery somewhat close(enough not to have to order extensions) to the motor and esc and still have CG forward enough on the wing. I'll leave twin EDF's to the pros who want exact scale and use a radial 1806, but the intakes will be there to keep the electronics nice and cool for rocking high throttle. The boxy yet aerodynamic fuselage will translate great to FB with standard FT techniques.
1562182802784.png

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Tons of wind. Looking to build a small plane with my remaining FB scraps, something mighty mini size. If I have enough foam, I'll try for a BAC-TSR-2 pusher. This is a cool looking cold war classic that got shafted by politics. It's a bomber but handles like a fighter. AET and anhedral wingtips for plenty of roll capability! This should be easy to get the CG where I want it as a straight pusher without using extension cables in a mighty mini sized air frame. All the nose in front and wing in the back will let me keep the battery somewhat close(enough not to have to order extensions) to the motor and esc and still have CG forward enough on the wing. I'll leave twin EDF's to the pros who want exact scale and use a radial 1806, but the intakes will be there to keep the electronics nice and cool for rocking high throttle. The boxy yet aerodynamic fuselage will translate great to FB with standard FT techniques. View attachment 135251
I have never thought the TSR-2 as a very pretty plane. Would love to see a fully working model of this....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.53

Vimana89

Legendary member
I have never thought the TSR-2 as a very pretty plane. Would love to see a fully working model of this....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saunders-Roe_SR.53
That SR-53 is pretty sleek, was not too familiar with that one until now. Definitely like the T tail, but think it needs a rounded/moldedfuse to really do it justice(not to mention a model rocket engine!). TSR-2 is a lot more boxy and utilitarian looking in terms of the fuselage for sure, but it still has its own brand of charm for me, especially with those negative dihedral wingtips. It will be much easier to make that one into basic FT build techniques and still look very scale.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Scaled the TSR-2 down to a suitable range. By suitable, I mean the widest part of the fuselage is 2 inches. That actually scales the rest of the plane down into micro range. Got a 8.5" wingspan with a 6 inch wide tail plane. Going extra light with 5" props, 1806 radial, and probably a 3s 650.

L Edge

Master member
Re-maidened the SU-29 hobbyking foamboard I was gifted last week.. if flew okay but I think I need to bump this up to 4S power!!!!

I am impressed with your abilities so far!!! I would suggest that that you change your slogan to learing, flying and try something new. About how many hours of flight time do you have in the air?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Drew up a few bits for the micro TSR-2 project. Due to the small size, I'm going to keep low on weight by using a no airfoil wing and tailplane and vs using 5mm, and build the whole fuselage out of2(2.5?) mm thin foamboard. I found that A fold parts made of this are plenty strong still. I'll probably have to run some wing loading calculations regardless. I'm not sure if it will be better to go 2s or 3s for this. The 2s loses thrust but the battery cuts down weight I'll have to weigh my 2s vs 3s 650 batteries.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I am impressed with your abilities so far!!! I would suggest that that you change your slogan to learing, flying and try something new. About how many hours of flight time do you have in the air?
I wouldn't know the number of hours actual flying. I try and get to the club field most weekends weather permitting. Guess over a year (i joined in May last year but didn't really fly anything until June) that would be 30 days worth, typically get to fly 4 or 5 times for 8 to 10 minutes. So best case that would be about 25 hours of actual flying planes.
About 20+ years ago, I sort of taught myself to fly, but it family stuff killed that off ;)

L Edge

Master member
I wouldn't know the number of hours actual flying. I try and get to the club field most weekends weather permitting. Guess over a year (i joined in May last year but didn't really fly anything until June) that would be 30 days worth, typically get to fly 4 or 5 times for 8 to 10 minutes. So best case that would be about 25 hours of actual flying planes.
About 20+ years ago, I sort of taught myself to fly, but it family stuff killed that off ;)

Now I am going to offer you a challange I hope you take. You next club goal is to "get certified to be an a flight instructor". What do you think?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Tiny parts for a tiny jet! I made a couple changes from pure scale: I made the tail plane and elevator not slanted to make it easier to rig with one servo. I made the ailerons straight and simple to match. Some parts of the back section of the fuselage will not have quite the same curve. Dimensions are almost exactly scale(off by a couple mm here and there)and will appear scale to eye. If this one doesn't work I'll scale up and try again! Also, only had black FB so no scale anti-flash white on this prototype.

Attachments

• IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Nothing glued together just placed together to start looking like a plane. I'm satisfied by the profile and proportions just worried about weight for the size wondering to go 2s 6x3x2 prop or 3s 5x5.3x3 or what? Either way can always scale up in the future.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'd call my first attempt at designing a split elevator a rough success👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg