FTCA Flying Site: Holmes County RC Airpark

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Look into Zoysia grass mate. It is like what they use on putting greens. It stays short, needs VERY little care and propagates well. Its also used on the sides of hiways in some states to prevent erosion and cut maintenance costs.

Something like the Zoysia Zeon blend I think would be perfect for a run way. Dig down about a foot below the runway area put in about 4 inches of clay for water retention, bring back to grade with fine topsoil and plant that Zoysia. Best runway EVER. Then all you do is hit it with a reel mower every other flying session and you will have the perfect runway.

We planted zoysia here at the park.

I don't quite have the budget for the proper prep and sodding.

It will have to settle with some rye for the winter. And we'll plant some bermuda or something similar in the summer. I'm also looking at some geotex material for a section of the runway. Letting people have a choice between grass and "paved".

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
In case you aren't following the Facebook page for the field.

Yesterday was a good day. I spoke at the local EAA chapter meeting about the field, about Flite Test and about the FTCA. They're excited because they have a Young Eagles program that can use model airplanes to encourage young people to get interested in aviation. With times as they are, doing this at the airport isn't the best fit anymore. So to have a flying site so close by, fits into their model aviation and STEM program nicely. In fact I did too good of a job. I signed up as a member of the EAA chapter yesterday and I was recruited to help them with the STEM part of the club. I showed them a couple of the FT planes, the Tutor and the Flerken and that got their attention too.

I left the meeting and went to the field. With my talks with the county road crew, I found out that the entire site had been sodded. The supervisor seemed reluctant to go cutting that all up with the grader. So I looked it over yesterday, and ran a push mower around the perimeter of the runway. Sure enough there's some pretty good grass under it. The ground still isn't smooth enough for small planes but with a little filling here and there, we can have a grass strip for larger planes. I moved the stakes and made a smaller "park flyer" runway area for them to cut with the grader on Monday.

The county commissioner that is in charge of the district the field is in saw my post about the push mower and offered to help cut the rest of the grass with a tractor later this week. I also spoke with him about permission to put in the shade shelter, and he agreed. We also discussed putting in a fenced parking area at the road, but with a gate so we can manage who has vehicle access to the field. He's seen the number of local people who have signed up for the Facebook group and that surprised him. To be honest, I'm surprised too. He sounded a bit excited about the whole thing and instead of me asking them to help me make progress, he's asking when we're going to have the "grand opening" for the field.

A friend who owns a saw mill offered me some free lumber for the field. Not sure how much he's willing to give. I'm going to need to find some fencing materials and a gate to close in the parking area. The locals have already done damage across the street trying to get their 4 wheelers into the clay pit area. So we want to secure the access to keep them from tearing up the runway.

Attachments

• Tricounty EAA copy.jpg
    Tricounty EAA copy.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DJI_0100.JPG
    DJI_0100.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DJI_0097.JPG
    DJI_0097.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DJI_0099.JPG
    DJI_0099.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
In case you aren't following the Facebook page for the field.

Yesterday was a good day. I spoke at the local EAA chapter meeting about the field, about Flite Test and about the FTCA. They're excited because they have a Young Eagles program that can use model airplanes to encourage young people to get interested in aviation. With times as they are, doing this at the airport isn't the best fit anymore. So to have a flying site so close by, fits into their model aviation and STEM program nicely. In fact I did too good of a job. I signed up as a member of the EAA chapter yesterday and I was recruited to help them with the STEM part of the club. I showed them a couple of the FT planes, the Tutor and the Flerken and that got their attention too.

I left the meeting and went to the field. With my talks with the county road crew, I found out that the entire site had been sodded. The supervisor seemed reluctant to go cutting that all up with the grader. So I looked it over yesterday, and ran a push mower around the perimeter of the runway. Sure enough there's some pretty good grass under it. The ground still isn't smooth enough for small planes but with a little filling here and there, we can have a grass strip for larger planes. I moved the stakes and made a smaller "park flyer" runway area for them to cut with the grader on Monday.

The county commissioner that is in charge of the district the field is in saw my post about the push mower and offered to help cut the rest of the grass with a tractor later this week. I also spoke with him about permission to put in the shade shelter, and he agreed. We also discussed putting in a fenced parking area at the road, but with a gate so we can manage who has vehicle access to the field. He's seen the number of local people who have signed up for the Facebook group and that surprised him. To be honest, I'm surprised too. He sounded a bit excited about the whole thing and instead of me asking them to help me make progress, he's asking when we're going to have the "grand opening" for the field.

A friend who owns a saw mill offered me some free lumber for the field. Not sure how much he's willing to give. I'm going to need to find some fencing materials and a gate to close in the parking area. The locals have already done damage across the street trying to get their 4 wheelers into the clay pit area. So we want to secure the access to keep them from tearing up the runway.
Great Job!! You're breaking new ground (pun intended) and setting a pattern for those to follow elsewhere.

L Edge

Master member
Have you considered another runway 90 degrees off at the end of the runway for crosswinds?

Works real good for our site. Also calm days, the main can be used for larger planes and the offshoot can handle micros, heli's and drones if you have large group. Just need to set up rules so when someone goes out on field for pickup, other runway knows what is going on.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I've looked into it. We'll see what needs arise as we use the field. We could always add another direction if it needs it.

Tench745

Master member
ocal EAA chapter meeting about the field, about Flite Test and about the FTCA. They're excited because they have a Young Eagles program that can use model airplanes to encourage young people to get interested in aviation. With times as they are, doing this at the airport isn't the best fit anymore. So to have a flying site so close by, fits into their model aviation and STEM program nicely. In fact I did too good of a job. I signed up as a member of the EAA chapter yesterday and I was recruited to help them
You're in trouble now. I joined my EAA chapter 4 years ago when I started building my airplane. Now I'm Secretary on the board of directors. We are struggling to gain new members and are particularly interested in attracting teens and young adults. Trouble is, no one knows where to start and many people are afraid to try anything without a solid plan.
Hopefully I can bring some of y'alls successes and ideas to our chapter.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Heck of a day so far!

The county commissioner met me at the flying site with his personal tractor and finished mowing the runway, and mowed the parking area at the gate. We also got the gate post installed.

I'm going to make a run to town soon and get the last bit of supplies needed to be able to keep the gates open and call the flying site ready for visitors.

gate post.jpeg
gate in place.jpeg
mowing parking.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm so looking forward to coming here and doing sketchy stuff with you—your efforts on this border are heroic.

I bought the last of the hardware needed to leave the main gate open.

I know Flite Test doesn't want "clubs" but we need to look at how to manage the costs of the creation and upkeep of the property.

We'll have to discuss it once we start getting a regular group meeting up at the field.