FTCA & FT Value

Your reply seems to suggest the Tutor is a perk (I'm sorry, "special gift") only available to FTCA members. If that's true then it is in fact extortion.
Please let me clarify:
I'm certain that was never the intent. But we're not talking about "Join in the next ten minutes and as our special gift to you you get this..." cheapo stupid thing that nobody wants anyway.

The Tutor looks like it shows every sign of being the new star of the show for a while. It looks like it wants to be in the spotlight. Just think of all the 12 yr old boys crying under the tree at Xmas time this year because they couldn't get their Tutor and all the cool kids got one! :LOL:
But yeah, special incentive gift turns into extortion depending on how you look at it.

I'm certain that one of the biggest primary problems they faced was:
If we charge for the plans it'll automatically deter many of the would-be thieves. Maybe even the ones in India. IDK.
If we charge for the plans it'll be good for our cashflow, that's for sure.
If we charge for the plans we've directly broken our biggest promise we made for all those years, since we first built our own FB planes.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
"Your reply seems to suggest the Tutor is a perk (I'm sorry, "special gift") only available to FTCA members. If that's true then it is in fact extortion."

Please let me clarify:
I'm certain that was never the intent. But we're not talking about "Join in the next ten minutes and as our special gift to you you get this..." cheapo stupid thing that nobody wants anyway.

The Tutor looks like it shows every sign of being the new star of the show for a while. It looks like it wants to be in the spotlight. Just think of all the 12 yr old boys crying under the tree at Xmas time this year because they couldn't get their Tutor and all the cool kids got one! :LOL:
But yeah, special incentive gift turns into extortion depending on how you look at it.

Its only Extortion if its something you MUST have... plans for foamboard aircraft are NOT a MUST have.. They my be high on many peoples WANT list but its not a MUST have to get by in life or the hobby. If the plans FT are trying to protect while still giving access to them were the ONLY thing you could do within the hobby of RC flight THEN it could be twisted into "well that's extortion"

Now if that is a statement you are making on a forum open to the public then that DOES become Defamation.... careful what rocks you throw at peoples glass houses.. you may just cut yourself.

Its only Extortion if its something you MUST have... plans for foamboard aircraft are NOT a MUST have.. They my be high on many peoples WANT list but its not a MUST have to get by in life or the hobby. If the plans FT are trying to protect while still giving access to them were the ONLY thing you could do within the hobby of RC flight THEN it could be twisted into "well that's extortion"

Now if that is a statement you are making on a forum open to the public then that DOES become Defamation.... careful what rocks you throw at peoples glass houses.. you may just cut yourself.
Yeah exactly. On a forum open to the public. See you when I get out of prison smart guy.

jfaleo1

I think your last comment gave you away.

In what way? That I am frustrated in seeing the same issue all over with no answer, and comments like yours minimizing them? Yup I gave myself away as being frustrated. You figured it out. Obviously it was just that line you understood. See I can be sarcastic and condescending too.

Now for the real answer. I gave myself away in my attempt to help with ideas while being told; "Just design your own planes", not the point, and I do. "there are lots of free plans" yup, the fact is that's not the complaint, its is the new ones they want to promote but only the few get them and no way to get them later, but that's not made clear. I am frustrated by a poor attitude by some who want to seemingly protect what they feel is being attacked out of some loyalty without knowing the difference between an attack and constructive criticism. Oh and I am frustrated by people who comment minimizing other peoples issues to make them shut up and go away. Last you seem to think I want an answer from "management" because I think I deserve more respect than someone else, again wrong, I think all these people that started these threads deserve more than silence and/or venom. Respond to me or don't who cares, I want to help others succeed including the FTCA. I'm not the only one saying SELL the darn plans and it has the benefit of being the right thing to do for everyone. It is literally win/win.

Sorry was I supposed to shut up and go away because you "called me out"?

jfaleo1

how do you stop anyone from copying the plans and selling them, a kit, or an entire model?
You can't, that's why people sell them on other sites and have been since the only way we shared in the hobby was magazines. they were copied then and will be now, but making money on them makes more sense than the bickering and anger this has produced. $5 - $25 dollars is not bad if it is a good enough design, why is this idea so offensive to some people? I just do not understand the anger over the suggestion.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Respond to me or don't who cares, I want to help others succeed including the FTCA. I'm not the only one saying SELL the darn plans and it has the benefit of being the right thing to do for everyone. It is literally win/win.

With two nearly identical complaining posts, I would guess you do care about getting a response. As for the business, I have a good idea that FT knows how to run their business, and they are always weighing options against their own mission statement.

For the past year, FT has made many statements about looking into selling plans, so let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they have looked at it, and decided for now that it does not in some way fit what they want to do with their business.

how do you stop anyone from copying the plans and selling them, a kit, or an entire model?
Of course you can't, like @jfaleo1 said. But I think if you're a business earning revenue off it you have significantly firmer grounds to stand on in court. This would serve as a deterrent to many of the small-time would-be thieves, and it could also serve as a threat to those guys in India who believe they've got it made right now.

jfaleo1

I'm certain that one of the biggest primary problems they faced was:
If we charge for the plans it'll automatically deter many of the would-be thieves. Maybe even the ones in India. IDK.
If we charge for the plans it'll be good for our cashflow, that's for sure.
If we charge for the plans we've directly broken our biggest promise we made for all those years, since we first built our own FB planes.
But it has been broken already by not offering what appears to be an actual trainer as a free DIY plan. The thing is asking for people to pay for it is still honorable considering the work that goes into them and the development of the aircraft. There is no failure on their part if they decide to start selling plans to fund an organization to better the hobby. Again I don't understand the irritation over the idea, again I am frustrated with the attitudes. Is it so unfathomable to believe there is a different, possibly better, path that was not seen at the beginning? @Monte.C seems to see the issue. I feel I see it, an awful lot seem to see it. Why be angry about it?? If it is WHO is suggesting it, or HOW it is suggested. I would point out that WHAT and WHY the suggestion is what matters more.

jfaleo1

Actually, even if I did build from plans I wouldn't buy a speed build kit. But that's just me.
Exactly, I have bought a couple to help support FT but The DIY is the fun part of this for me. I build for the stress release and the hand cutting is the best street releaser.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Actually, even if I did build from plans I wouldn't buy a speed build kit. But that's just me.
I’ve built about 40 FT planes - about half from plans, and half from SBK - but I always keep a copy to make again. I’ve built other people’s plans, but invariably the design quality of FT designs is better in my experience.

But it has been broken already by not offering what appears to be an actual trainer as a free DIY plan. The thing is asking for people to pay for it is still honorable considering the work that goes into them and the development of the aircraft. There is no failure on their part if they decide to start selling plans to fund an organization to better the hobby. Again I don't understand the irritation over the idea, again I am frustrated with the attitudes. Is it so unfathomable to believe there is a different, possibly better, path that was not seen at the beginning? @Monte.C seems to see the issue. I feel I see it, an awful lot seem to see it. Why be angry about it?? If it is WHO is suggesting it, or HOW it is suggested. I would point out that WHAT and WHY the suggestion is what matters more.
Ok (and thanks) but you gotta chill a bit on this one. In hindsight I think maybe they should have changed, to charge $5/plan set. The online system runs on automatic, you're not even dealing with product. So it's all profit.
But can you imagine them sitting together trying to plan Josh's video announcing they'll now charge money for what they said was free??

bisco

Elite member
for whatever reason, there are a couple of very defensive people here. iirc, the mods don't mind complaints and suggestions.