FTFC: FT-Build-Ruary by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
It goes together very differently than any of the other jets I have done. (Viggen, Alpha, Charlie and the VF-9) I'm curious to see how it holds up, when I crash it :). I will be taping the whole surface with clear tape for strength before I use color.

The segmented nose and body, while solid enough don't seem like they will make it past hard landing.
I wonder if we should start a thread for Crash pictures. Kinda like a tow truck driver sees which vehicles fail, how often and how.

I might help us see the inherent weaknesses in certain designs, in vein for sturdier more crash-able (noob-friendly) models. Mine by far is the Mini Arrow.

Glad someone else enjoys it too.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
It goes together very differently than any of the other jets I have done. (Viggen, Alpha, Charlie and the VF-9) I'm curious to see how it holds up, when I crash it :). I will be taping the whole surface with clear tape for strength before I use color.

The segmented nose and body, while solid enough don't seem like they will make it past hard landing.
I wonder if we should start a thread for Crash pictures. Kinda like a tow truck driver sees which vehicles fail, how often and how.

I might help us see the inherent weaknesses in certain designs, in vein for sturdier more crash-able (noob-friendly) models. Mine by far is the Mini Arrow.

Glad someone else enjoys it too.

BRILLIANT IDEA! I made the thread here. my maiden of the ft flyer was just one big crash compilation.

Last edited:

RMDC

Is that the RID2015 Skywarp I spy? That'd be a wicked color scheme. I think you're right; it would fit the model better than Starscream. Of all the Seeker models, Skywarp is the one who most often seems to get dumped into a forward-swept design.

FoamyDM

Here's a taste. Clearly had no business staying up this late... Oh wait, this is why... Screenshot_20180214-034415.png
Must sleep kids up in 2.5 hrs.

FoamyDM

Ready For the Maiden

That is ALL colored tape! Clear, red, blue and Black. a couple gaps touched up with red and black sharpies.

17-Now in Technicolor.JPG

22-MaidenReady.JPG

The rest in the build post

Fortunately I'm the adult in the house so I make the rules. :) one of the benefits of being old.
I felt the nose and Fuselage required tape for added strength.

Cross my fingers for the Maiden. If it flies a bit like the Viggen, I'll be good. (rebuilding the nose :black_eyed:, but good.)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yeah my workshop is in the basement, so the main area of my house is a great "buffer Zone" in between building planes all night and my parents need for sleep.

FoamyDM

Take a Break!

Halfway through the month and i'm half built... So far, On track!
5QSukuieyjY4K3U9PqLRX-FDV6AivzmLWz4oCl_ICfFTxQeTUfYgM7JaU0Q16TCOpVNApUJlBv4ptpeDAaZkXsA=s0

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Congrats! I'm in the same boat, by the end of this week I hope to be finishing up the motor glider, I might just make it fly for now and not "perfect" it yet like the Discovery, then after Build-Ruary is over I'll make build videos and finish the designs.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
That is ALL colored tape! Clear, red, blue and Black. a couple gaps touched up with red and black sharpies.

View attachment 102196

View attachment 102197

The rest in the build post

Fortunately I'm the adult in the house so I make the rules. :) one of the benefits of being old.
I felt the nose and Fuselage required tape for added strength.

Cross my fingers for the Maiden. If it flies a bit like the Viggen, I'll be good. (rebuilding the nose :black_eyed:, but good.)

ooohh. ok. was wondering how you got the lines so perfect! stunning!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Yeah my workshop is in the basement, so the main area of my house is a great "buffer Zone" in between building planes all night and my parents need for sleep.

haha! i have been talking to my parents for ages about clearing out a corner of the basement. maybe by where the sewage pipe leaves the house. we could get a big freezer for better storage of food especially around holidays. also i could have a work space. unfortunately we have too much stuff in the basement. mostly all the school work and projects my mom has saved from the 8 years of homeschooling my sister and I. pretty much no space.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Halfway through the month and i'm half built... So far, On track!
5QSukuieyjY4K3U9PqLRX-FDV6AivzmLWz4oCl_ICfFTxQeTUfYgM7JaU0Q16TCOpVNApUJlBv4ptpeDAaZkXsA=s0

no breaks for me! not even finished the versa wing yet and that's my first build! also gotta do an annotated bibliography in APA format for PSY101 and write a 300+ word essay before tomorrow for ENG101 and also rewrite a 1200+ word essay and edit the rough draft of a 1500+ for essay. not to mention all the reading i have to do. and that's just my TWO college classes lol. i also have 5 other subjects with my highschool work. i'm still on the first quarter in math. only on chapter 10 in history. that's just the start....
well, guess its time to procrastinate and build another plane then! haha! boy, im going to have some serious problems when i actually GO to college....

FoamyDM

no breaks for me! not even finished the versa wing yet and that's my first build! also gotta do an annotated bibliography in APA format for PSY101 and write a 300+ word essay before tomorrow for ENG101 and also rewrite a 1200+ word essay and edit the rough draft of a 1500+ for essay. not to mention all the reading i have to do. and that's just my TWO college classes lol. i also have 5 other subjects with my highschool work. i'm still on the first quarter in math. only on chapter 10 in history. that's just the start....
well, guess its time to procrastinate and build another plane then! haha! boy, im going to have some serious problems when i actually GO to college....

And that is why Students get two entries and double points. Thanks Daniel for your help illustrating that.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
And that is why Students get two entries and double points. Thanks Daniel for your help illustrating that.

wait what? i get double points? that wasn't in the rules post, was it? huh. that seems unfair. (most) adults have jobs and many have kids... well, i'm not complaining. your rules! haha! well i should go work on something...

FoamyDM

Would it by Cheesey?

Would it be cheesey to add "Starscream" to the side of the X-29 like the original picure?

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Planes are looking great and you are really moving fast (particularly impressed with how fast the X-29 came together).

DamoRC