FTFC: FT-Build-Ruary by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
MAIDEN SUCCESS X-29

Well I have the completed the maiden. It flew very well. the gusting wind made it a bit scarier than it need to be... it did crash, however managed to do it soft enough to effect no/minimal damage. (had to wipe some soft loamy soil from the nose tip.)

I can't wait to try this again in more calm weather. Later

Maiden:

I will also put the on the build page. Now for the post event evaluation...

Build Build-Challenging.JPG
This build had 7 sheets of board and a large number of parts. the fuselage and wing are in a number of sections. lining these up isn't always perfect, and pressing some parts into place may cause a failure is the glue isn't solid. That is the primary reason I taped the SNOT out of this plane. also Everything needed to be extended. and the junction spots are the very back of the nose section this is REALLY hard to get at and reconnect. I'm not really sure how my battery lead will be reconnected with out a "maintenance hatch" created.
Rating: Challenging build

Flight Fly-Moderate.JPG
She flies, and flies well. Two things I noticed. Loops and elevator control is Very limited. so, Either more control surface or larger throws. I will adjust the rods for more throw and see. It flew great slow and better fast. except in a dive. which was slow to come out of. Every one I would think there it goes, I be rebuilding this one later.
Rating:I would have this be a moderate flier. It's very different control rates and slow elevator controls make me feel it might even be hard..

Stop Start Continue
STOP
Putting pieces in backwards. Maidening on a gusty day. A couple times I thought this plane was a surefire gonner.
Start
More details on the wings attachment would be helpful. I ended up with a large Glue filled gap. Adjust the Elevator controls to get slightly more control, and plan to reduce aileron end points to reduce the relative roll capacity. Put a Velcro strap to keep the battery in place. (however, I think the impact shifting battery does absorb a great deal of energy. and my be what allows me to fly this on Sunday. in the build it would be helpful to show the end result and point out what will be important to not. the recap just before the previous step is complete.
Continue
Tuning the controls. I remember they talked about the controls looping being slow, but I didn't expect it to be like it was. robustness. the wings feel VERY solid and it's a good thing. Taping the model took a while but has been worth it.

Note the throttle linked LED ring would be righteous in this model...

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Cooll, also this is a great example of how to do a review on a plane. I will do this on Saturday with my builds after I maiden them.

FoamyDM

Thank you foamtest.

I think the build thread is awesome, but I especially enjoy the take-aways section, it it's in there. It's the "when you build this make these adjustments and you will be better off." That's why I added to the challenge. just building is a thread building with purpose to help others with these planes, that a challenge worth taking (in my mind's eye)

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Well I have the completed the maiden. It flew very well. the gusting wind made it a bit scarier than it need to be... it did crash, however managed to do it soft enough to effect no/minimal damage. (had to wipe some soft loamy soil from the nose tip.)

I can't wait to try this again in more calm weather. Later

Maiden:

I will also put the on the build page. Now for the post event evaluation...

Build View attachment 102313
This build had 7 sheets of board and a large number of parts. the fuselage and wing are in a number of sections. lining these up isn't always perfect, and pressing some parts into place may cause a failure is the glue isn't solid. That is the primary reason I taped the SNOT out of this plane. also Everything needed to be extended. and the junction spots are the very back of the nose section this is REALLY hard to get at and reconnect. I'm not really sure how my battery lead will be reconnected with out a "maintenance hatch" created.
Rating: Challenging build

Flight View attachment 102314
She flies, and flies well. Two things I noticed. Loops and elevator control is Very limited. so, Either more control surface or larger throws. I will adjust the rods for more throw and see. It flew great slow and better fast. except in a dive. which was slow to come out of. Every one I would think there it goes, I be rebuilding this one later.
Rating:I would have this be a moderate flier. It's very different control rates and slow elevator controls make me feel it might even be hard..

Stop Start Continue
STOP
Putting pieces in backwards. Maidening on a gusty day. A couple times I thought this plane was a surefire gonner.
Start
More details on the wings attachment would be helpful. I ended up with a large Glue filled gap. Adjust the Elevator controls to get slightly more control, and plan to reduce aileron end points to reduce the relative roll capacity. Put a Velcro strap to keep the battery in place. (however, I think the impact shifting battery does absorb a great deal of energy. and my be what allows me to fly this on Sunday. in the build it would be helpful to show the end result and point out what will be important to not. the recap just before the previous step is complete.
Continue
Tuning the controls. I remember they talked about the controls looping being slow, but I didn't expect it to be like it was. robustness. the wings feel VERY solid and it's a good thing. Taping the model took a while but has been worth it.

Note the throttle linked LED ring would be righteous in this model...

haha that was great! very, shall we say, "sketchy" flying! haha! darn wind!

also i did not picture you looking like that! nice hair! also i think you may want to get a quieter and less shaky tripod haha. very cute and funny. i think the kids were almost more entertaining than the plane!!

also wow what an incredible sunset!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
oh one other thing about my build thread. when i am done, i am supposed to use those icons, correct? the icons for difficulty. how do i get those for different combinations?

FoamyDM

also i did not picture you looking like that! nice hair! also i think you may want to get a quieter and less shaky tripod haha. very cute and funny. i think the kids were almost more entertaining than the plane!!

also wow what an incredible sunset!
Yes on both accounts. the sunset is tremendous. My oldest is the "tripod" and when he follows the plane he's pretty smooth and it looks good, but when it's down, you'd think godzilla was coming! :)

Congrats on the Maiden! Was that 3S or 4S?

DamoRC
I had a 2200mAh 4S in it.

oh one other thing about my build thread. when i am done, i am supposed to use those icons, correct? the icons for difficulty. how do i get those for different combinations?

I believe that they are all in the first post if I am not mistaken.

I pulled up the photo in the first postand snipped the one I needed.

So this is everyone... how are we looking? I certainly like what I see so far! and the enthusiasm is amazing. Let keep it up.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I am good, I have both of my youth entries done as of now, I just need to do the reviews of the planes. I still want to try the motor glider but I am not sure if I can finish it.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
im doing ok i suppose. got some work dumped on me from school so progress has slowed but i am on track for at least 2 builds completed. i am not certain about maidens but... im hopeful.

FoamyDM

Bloody Vampire - alpha build one-day

So I update the Vampire V2.0 to include the Maiden Video and the Post Build notes.
Check the Build in post#2 or #3 on the first page

Goal Posts are up!
t_170.jpg

Build-Ruary 28th a punt for the win?
It's official, I will be attempting the Bloody black Widow Design/Build of mine.

BLOODY BLACK WIDOW BUILD Log

I took time this morning to cut out the Bloody Black Widow. -38mins
1. EarlyMorningCutting.JPG

Taped up the small bits black at work. Now ready to go back Home
2.TapedParts.JPG

Assembly starting at 10pm...

Fuselage build - Seeing if it pulls together like I imagined

3. Fuse Start.JPG
This is the back platform
4.Fuse Back.JPG
Here I see if the canopy and belly fit. It gets pulled together and it works perfect!
5. TheLongWrap.JPG
Back - Hatch: some SLIGHT trimming get's it to fit over the wing.
6.FuseHatch.JPG
7. WingTaping.JPG

Checking the Tab locations for the wing with this fuselage.
8.TabAlignment-Check.JPG
Looking good!
9. BlackWidowDryFit.JPG

I got here by 12pm:
10. BlackWidowDryFitLow.JPG
Bottom
11. BlackWidowDryFitUnderside.JPG
I'm very happy with the dry fit. (dry as I need to put the electronics in still. That will be a whole evening I'm guessing.(I'll have to look a the angry Bee build to see what they do with squeezing the ESCs in.) and I have to Cut the 5g Servos from the Sigma SAM-7.

And here by 1:30 after a brief break:
All but the electronics...
Window are blue tape and the lines are sharpie drawn on.
12. BBWDetailed Dry fit.JPG
TURRET: In my delirium I had a great idea to build the iconic turret. However I failed to document any of it except the final product. It is really simple. I cut the bottom out of a foam egg carton I had in the recycling bin turned it over and trimmed it smooth. Stuck two approximately 1inch (2.5cm) long skewer segments in and made sure they were parallel. then carefully taped it. Lastly I glued it on. It wouldn't be hard to set it up to turn with one of the Servos.

13. TurretEgg.JPG
13. Turret.JPG

Take Away
Ratings:
Build Moderate View attachment 103241 (3 of 5)
The wing, booms and tail are pretty standard build, however, The Fuselage has a number of twists and turns which might trip up a builder on their 3rd of 4th build.
But everything but the booms went together as expected.

Stop Start Continue
Stop - Excluding Battery Hatches and provisions.
Start - Extending the ailerons so 1 servo will work them both.
Continue - Using the split platform. and pulling the paper from the upper wing section

March-11th - Madness commencing
Maiden Vid:

Flight 4 out of 5:
I finished the electronics setup and put the CG under front of the spar. because the motors are forward of the CG point, the battery was put at the rear of the wing. Emax 9251's in the wings tips and a elevator/future turret servo at the rear of the fuselage. I feel like longer weather-vane or a bigger surface is whats needed here. like the angry bee.. this will be FAST. so when I balance it - Watch Out!

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Cool! So now we are doing daily build challenges? (I should probably not have said that as you will probably come up with a list for every day in May:).

I do like the idea of a rapid build though. Suits my build style of quick and dirty and taking it seriously every time I hear Josh Bixler say "it doesn't have to be perfect" in the build videos.

Good Luck!

DamoRC

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Cool! So now we are doing daily build challenges? (I should probably not have said that as you will probably come up with a list for every day in May:).

I do like the idea of a rapid build though. Suits my build style of quick and dirty and taking it seriously every time I hear Josh Bixler say "it doesn't have to be perfect" in the build videos.

Good Luck!

DamoRC

yeah im really happy that "it doesn't have to be perfect" because my wing cross sections were different heights on my versa wing wings. (heh, wing wings)

FoamyDM

ROFLMAO

Honestly this is such a fools errand right now trying to build the Bloody Black Widow tonight... (but I'm excited to do it.)

:rolleyes: hmmm..... like the whole Bloody WWII Baby Listing! for MAY. First Person to Finish wins! The prize is a 20 plane mini size plane rack! (PVC?) for this idea to work we would need to have completely swappable parts. (using glue the clips so the servos can be removable too.)

or

The test would be to Design in the AM, print, Build Spray and fly in the afternoon.

or

FACPlane Build-Race Month. Race! There would be 4 rounds (one for each weekend Sat.) each with a Set plane! Same Engine setup (Battery, ESC, Prop, Motor) and servos that get moved from model to model. To make it work, everyone would have to take a Time Lapse Video: Start to Finish on the build, plus a 30s maiden vid showing viability.
Each week is "Lap" or "heat" and You take the best time of 3 of the 4 build times. (leaving room for life to happen). Top speed overall Wins! Allowable prep: Materials laid out, servos centered, plans assembled and attached to the board. a clock or timer needs to be present and readable in the video.

Talk about Speed Build Contest. Do they have one at FFE? The should... Like a 1/2 sheet model (Baby bugatti anyone)

FACSPlane should a Registered Trademark for the FliteTest Aeronautical Center Stock Plane.

Look what you've done! Shame on you DamoRC... Shame.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
ROFLMAO

Honestly this is such a fools errand right now trying to build the Bloody Black Widow tonight... (but I'm excited to do it.)

:rolleyes: hmmm..... like the whole Bloody WWII Baby Listing! for MAY. First Person to Finish wins! The prize is a 20 plane mini size plane rack! (PVC?) for this idea to work we would need to have completely swappable parts. (using glue the clips so the servos can be removable too.)

or

The test would be to Design in the AM, print, Build Spray and fly in the afternoon.

or

FACPlane Build-Race Month. Race! There would be 4 rounds (one for each weekend Sat.) each with a Set plane! Same Engine setup (Battery, ESC, Prop, Motor) and servos that get moved from model to model. To make it work, everyone would have to take a Time Lapse Video: Start to Finish on the build, plus a 30s maiden vid showing viability.
Each week is "Lap" or "heat" and You take the best time of 3 of the 4 build times. (leaving room for life to happen). Top speed overall Wins! Allowable prep: Materials laid out, servos centered, plans assembled and attached to the board. a clock or timer needs to be present and readable in the video.

Talk about Speed Build Contest. Do they have one at FFE? The should... Like a 1/2 sheet model (Baby bugatti anyone)

FACSPlane should a Registered Trademark for the FliteTest Aeronautical Center Stock Plane.

Look what you've done! Shame on you DamoRC... Shame.

i want to design a plane so a one day design, build, fly challenge would be fun.
i like the race idea as well although im not sure how the clock or timer would show up on timelapse. i could do a test of that. hmm....

darn!! you got me thinking again!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
ROFLMAO

or

or ....

Uh oh - time to call the men in white coats.

DamoRC

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I think a one day design and build challenge would be awesome. We were talking about this on the FT Discord server a while ago, you have to make plans (either paper or CAD), build the plane with build video (clock in background), and then fly it all in the course of a day! Then make a forum post on it, what worked what didn't, how the build/design process went, what you would do differently next time, etc... Another note, you can't start from existing plans on cad and just modify them. Example, you cant take the bloody Barron and modify the cad files to make it look like a P-51 and say that you designed it, even though you technically did. (no hate on the awesome bloody wwii thread). You have to design it all from scratch. You can base it all off another plane though.

Anyone else think this idea would be an awesome one day a month thing for the forum?